Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wild Parsnip???

Mike311

Spent the wkd up in the Decorah area camping and canoeing, area is overrun with parsnip. Canoe livery guy warned us and only one kid was hit with a real small blister so far. What’s the deal with this stuff and what stops it? Chemicals, mowing, burning?

Supposedly the wet spring has been ideal for wild parsnip. I’ve already got burned by it once mowing this year. It seems to be most potent at the flower stage. Probably a little late to do much good with spray this year, but a good dose of 2-4D early in the growth will knock it back. We will see if I blister from more exposure over the past weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The juice reacts in sunlight. Try running with few clothes on at night threw it and get back to us. Been ready about the outbreak of parsnip up north. We've always had it.

Does seem like it has really taken over in the last 5 years. So far I’ve been lucky enough to avoid it

Some nasty stuff I have had bad burns and small reactions. Best thing to do is avoid breaking the plant and getting the oil on you. The oil has a chemical reaction with sunlight and it will burn you. If you do think you have had contact with it wash it immediately and try to avoid sun contact to the area until cleaned. Most of my problems have came from weed whacking bridge guardrails. The area will become red within the first 24 hours then blister. After blistering it will turn brown. And can last months.

I was just talking to someone the other day and mentioned it seemed particularly bad this year. Like taking some places over. Bad deal.

Last time I got into bad enough to seek medical help, the dermatologist wrote me a prescription for clobetasol propionate ointment. Now, I put it on blisters as soon as they start and it really speeds their healing.

So has this always been around or was it accidentally brought here. I don’t remember it being around 20 years ago. Was it just less?

Crappy stuff. I've been fortunate to not have gotten any burns from it yet. On the bright side though, the root is edible. That's a food source that doesn't appear to be going anywhere for a LONG time.

I seen lots of it at my place this week never thought about it untill reading this post! Does it become less of an issue as plant matures turns brown and dies ? Must have less oil in the plant ? Seen most of mine turning brown ? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Does it become less of an issue as plant matures turns brown and dies ? Must have less oil in the plant ? Seen most of mine turning brown ? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

It seems most potent at flowering. Last weekend, I was mowing a pasture, leaning my left arm on the fender. A stalk of parsnip caught in the tire chain and rubbed my arm as it came over the top. Left arm is rashed now. I’ve got some brush clearing I’ll leave until the parsnip dries down.

Top Bottom