Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

• Deleted by Iowa Hunter
  • Reason: duplicate
Show…
In southern Iowa it is a bad year warden says might end up worse than 2012 we lost 3 out of ten deer that year. Warren county topped 100 already and he had 12 more calles just that morning. I have found 3 so far but no bucks on cameras seem to be gone and fawns all over without mothers ? Things that could help. Big rain. More wind (they cant fly very well ) colder weather. They live in the mud around water that is 2" and stagnant . Could very well run into hunting season like in 2012 !! Bad News....

Just went to our farm in Clarke co and found 3 dead bucks not looking for them just smelled them. Not good all were good looking bucks don't think shooters this yr but don't know how long they have been dead. Hopefully this little rain will help

I’ve got a disturbingly high amount of texts with pics like this. Uggghhhh

b884bf02f8ff649e8d816ea059976de9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by BJohnson
Show…
I spoke with a biologist earlier in the week and she said that it’s not as bad as people are thinking. She said there’s only been spotty reports in Warren and Lucas county around New Virginia.

FWIW, I suspect that through the years there have been EHD outbreaks, particularly smaller ones, in various areas that pretty much went entirely "under the radar". 10-15+ years ago, hardly anyone knew what this disease was and trail cameras were just getting popular, as was the practice of "following" a given buck over his life span.

Not right, not wrong, but I think "we" are all much more tuned into this than back in the day. Just some thoughts...

Not right, not wrong, but I think "we" are all much more tuned into this than back in the day. Just some thoughts...
Totally agree - if a fly shits on a yote in Decatur county - there's a chance we may know about it in the current cycle of social media. Lol.

Again - not good or bad but definitely different than even 5 yrs ago. Hoping the report MarkF got from the biologist is accurate, for anyone hunting or owning land in those counties.

Last edited:
IMHO- Id take those numbers and multiply by 10x. Dead serious. I remember one year our county had like “100-ish cases”..... neighbors and me found no less than 60-70 on 3 different farms. What gets reported is the extreme minority.
I’m an optimist on most things but talking to a few veterinarians.... the role of cattle movement from down south to Midwest over the last 10-20 years has skyrocketed prevalence of EHD/BT & brought all the new strains up to spread like wildfire. From what I gathered - ehd & BT is far worse than it used to be & with 7 total strains & continued cattle from all over- it’s gonna continue to be a big issue. I’ve yet to have a year where I don’t find at least a handful of ehd/BT deer. My buddy put in a food plot this weekend & found 4 alone in Clarke county. Crazy. It was not like this 20 years ago. I’m certain of it.

IMHO- Id take those numbers and multiply by 10x. Dead serious. I remember one year our county had like “100-ish cases”..... neighbors and me found no less than 60-70 on 3 different farms. What gets reported is the extreme minority.
I’m an optimist on most things but talking to a few veterinarians.... the role of cattle movement from down south to Midwest over the last 10-20 years has skyrocketed prevalence of EHD/BT & brought all the new strains up to spread like wildfire. From what I gathered - ehd & BT is far worse than it used to be & with 7 total strains & continued cattle from all over- it’s gonna continue to be a big issue. I’ve yet to have a year where I don’t find at least a handful of ehd/BT deer. My buddy put in a food plot this weekend & found 4 alone in Clarke county. Crazy. It was not like this 20 years ago. I’m certain of it.

No doubt! The last outbreak the DNR said only a fraction was reported or found

Is there anyway to overlay a map of high cattle concentration areas with an EHD map or correlate EHD reports with high cattle concertation areas? It would be interesting.

Top Bottom