Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November greens?

loneranger

I know about rye and oats for fall green plots. But is there anything else I might mix in besides? No peas small plot they hardly get out of the ground and eaten. Winter. Wheat perhaps? Anything different? Thanks

Yes. But I already have radish and turnips. These plots I want just greens. Thanks though
I dont even consider radishes a reliable late season (muzzleloader) plot. They are usually gone or rotted. (Not always but often)

Radishes on october cold fronts and into November are tough to beat. And they are very green. ;)

What he said. I had 25 deer piled into a 1/4 acre almost every night mid oct. - mid nov. a couple years ago. Very reliable bow hunting plot.

Clovers. If want spring clover there.
Agree on adding a few radish. I’d add winter peas if u added them in blend at very high rate (like 75-100 lbs/acre). Anything else- u splitting hairs.... winter wheat or triticale. U might add for diversity but it does not have as many positive attributes that rye does.

Above. Yep- daikon. Daikon is the standard name for radish. It’s rebranded when other companies call it something else: “tillage radish”, “ground hog”, “jack hammer” - all daikon & a few of the companies claim they have hybridized or bred daikon to be a slightly deeper tap root, etc. Jack hammer for example may get a lil deeper tap root. For plots- all this is basically irrelevant. Generic daikon is absolutely just fine

Clovers. If want spring clover there.
Agree on adding a few radish. I’d add winter peas if u added them in blend at very high rate (like 75-100 lbs/acre). Anything else- u splitting hairs.... winter wheat or triticale. U might add for diversity but it does not have as many positive attributes that rye does.

Above. Yep- daikon. Daikon is the standard name for radish. It’s rebranded when other companies call it something else: “tillage radish”, “ground hog”, “jack hammer” - all daikon & a few of the companies claim they have hybridized or bred daikon to be a slightly deeper tap root, etc. Jack hammer for example may get a lil deeper tap root. For plots- all this is basically irrelevant. Generic daikon is absolutely just fine

I have about 2.5 acres yet to go and I will be spraying this weekend. I did mow 2 weeks ago. You think winter peas will have plenty of time to get going yet?

Last edited:
Yep. I’d do all now & be done. Spray & drill right in ideally. Or if u need to work sod- u gonna need to either go over a bunch or wait til it dies & crispy to work it more easily. Drill is so handy if access. But yes - u have time on fall mix. Last, I personally think it’s hard to over seed peas. 50-150 lbs in a mix- any heavy amount will do just fine.

Might be a bit early for rye oats though. I read heat is coming back. What is ideal time to rye,oats,and Wheat ? Second week of Sept? Rye can germ at 50'/ If in southern Iowa we have a lot of warmth to go. don't want greens to get mature. Maybe 3rd week of Sept,,but then you have the gamble of rain or none too. I have seen it so dry most of Sept couldn't get rye to sprout. Always a gamble with plots!!

Might be a bit early for rye oats though. I read heat is coming back. What is ideal time to rye,oats,and Wheat ? Second week of Sept? Rye can germ at 50'/ If in southern Iowa we have a lot of warmth to go. don't want greens to get mature. Maybe 3rd week of Sept,,but then you have the gamble of rain or none too. I have seen it so dry most of Sept couldn't get rye to sprout. Always a gamble with plots!!
Always have planted mine around this time. Mine grain will going in this weekend. The one thing to remember about heat this time of year is it is less extreme than say a month ago. It still may get warm during the daylight hours but evening are going to be cooler thus cooling your plant down and slowing growth. IMO planting the 3rd week of sept you limiting yourself on huntable areas in the beginning of the season

I don't want greens for the beginning of the season. November is my time. Warmth is one thing. Lack of moisture is another. Yes,,its me, the old dry guy. Believe it or not my cracked ground is still cracked. Not much precip in the forecast either, A NW flow keeps good moisture in the south. So I am waiting. Maybe till next wk. and wait for rain to plant the second week of Sept. I am in S IOWA

Top Bottom