Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

The key with any acorn around here is to get the sucker to survive until you can get it into some

Direct fall planting into the ground? or putting them in a rootmaker until around november and then inside???

I direct fall plant in the ground. Had really good luck with that thus far.

They need to be protected from the start with tubes as they are planted.

Sink the tube in 1-2”

Attachments

• A170B6CB-FD02-4C6F-A97E-4AED564336FA.jpeg
    A170B6CB-FD02-4C6F-A97E-4AED564336FA.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Is that ground above fairly wet? Or more due to having weeds killed off for a while?

Ive got some clay type soil that has that look & always chewing on what’s best to plant in that “not as well drained” type soil.

Is that ground above fairly wet? Or more due to having weeds killed off for a while?

Ive got some clay type soil that has that look & always chewing on what’s best to plant in that “not as well drained” type soil.

Nah, very well drained. This was just part of those monsoon years where the rain never let up and is the same spot you picked those DCO's.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Reit38
Show…
3 varieties of Chestnuts from 3 different parts of country. Some dwarf chinkapin oaks & a very few crabapple & persimmon trees. I was late planting these. Most folks started em inside & earlier & often a good bit bigger. Biggest ones I’m starting to move into 1 gallon. Ideally if fertilized - done a bit ago & I’m doing a little experimenting with fertilizer or lack of. Did some today. Here’s little updated post on late planted seeds after battling critters, bugs, rain & no rain, etc. sprayed with fungicides & some insecticides 2 times now & it was needed.

Side note: chestnuts- well drained soil! Dwarf chinkapin oaks..... super super well drained soil!!!! I had some dco’s in a little too rich of soil & not enough perlite & vermiculite - rotted. Thank goodness only a little % got into that kind of soil. The fungicides also helped greatly IMO.

065cdca241ef67824d2fad8023d62868.jpg
5afcad4f0d3615ac527553dfec742de0.jpg

Skip,
What fungicides & insecticides did you use? What were the issues you were having? I have had some issues with fungus gnats.

Skip,
What fungicides & insecticides did you use? What were the issues you were having? I have had some issues with fungus gnats.
I put a list on apple & pear tree section. Top of page 32. A lot of “general” fungicides & insecticides that can be used among a lot of trees. Not all but many. Read labels of course.
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/apple-pear-trees.17837/page-32

Here’s todays check on my little late planted seedlings. I have almost all graduated to 1 gallon pots. Soil temperature right now has me concerned with black pots & black soil. Not ideal & clearly be nice to implement other growing conditions. Likely be ok. Growing from seed is rewarding but is very challenging. (Bugs, critters, water, temp, etc). Plan on some losses. Thankfully not a big $ cost. These will go in this fall with some protection & care.
26942ffb1774ecb14a7a363130a72803.jpg

Lil clip of chestnuts, dco’s & a few persimmons. Lot of different sources, vigor & variety. For sure cheapest way to do trees but u swap work for cost savings ;). It’s challenging but fun

The progress of the chestnuts I started this spring, Hope to put some out this fall, try to hold some for a second season of container growth.

e206ee047173551c1ed85c72713ce15c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll cage them, probably screening around the trunks. I used to plant hundreds of trees hoping something survived, but I’ve given up on that approach. Now I take the time to protect what few I plant.
171d40173a09e802f19c1b4f4e3ec463.jpg

An oak started from an acorn, transplanted out with a cage. 7 or 8 years old.

Agree on above!!! I’d rather do 10 trees fully protected & babied vs 100 trees to fend for themselves.
With tree plantings, often times, “less is more”.

yeah I get the whole protection thing.... was more wondering do deer target chestnuts like other trees and destroy them. I assume by the responses the answer is yes.

I’ve found - Only way a deer doesn’t target a tree i plant is if I plant it in the timber. Or like a cedar or something. But- a cleaned up patch of trees out in the open.... oaks, hardwood, softwood, whatever- they inviting a buck to thrash it & deer to browse it.

Yep your fighting deer,rabbits,voles,and mice. 4 to 5" tree can rebound from rubbing. Anything smaller is a crap shoot.
chestnut 2.jpeg

Free dwarf chinkapin (dco) acorns.

The catch is you have to go pick them yourself off my farm. (Mercer County, MO)

Message me if anyone is interested. There should be some still on the trees at this point, but every year can vary.

Phil

Real easy. I use the Rain Bird brand but many out there. I also use a timer on my hydrant.

Suck it corona-virus. Rain day from farm work..... put this in. Filled with chestnuts, DCO, persimmon, hazelnut, pawpaw, crabapple, pear, etc.
*yes, once again demonstrating I am the hillbilly of the neighborhood ;)
9bed1e6a458baa91d4770bd199b43aea.jpg

0126860b483c81c4ae0b69e57fc54e9d.jpg

fa3d3335a5428df0e18fcb6ca67b0296.jpg

Top Bottom