Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

When was this map published and is it updated daily/weekly?

I don't know that information. I found the link to the map here and just thought it would be good to include in this thread so anyone could see the most recent info from those reported to the DNR. Scroll down a bit, click the + by EHD and the link is at the bottom of that section.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Deer-Hunting/Deer-Disease-Information

I am not implying it is an accurate representation of the total don't killed by EHD and don't know how often it is updated. But it is getting updated as it is different than the copy posted earlier in this thread.

• Deleted by Elvis188
  • Reason: duplicate
Show…
Michigan has a deer population of 1.75 million.
They have probably 20 times the Forest iowa does. Habitat is endless. The populations are low to medium & in most places I hunted over the years but also has had high population areas. The areas with “wipe out” in last decade was a new phenomenon for sure. Didn’t happen 20-30 years ago like this. We had cabin in north that was LOADED with deer. “Too many” long time ago. Winter would wipe them out but not ehd. Still don’t think ehd up north by our old cabin at all. No cows & no ehd. Mayb. Ehd documented in MI is pretty new based on data.

It’s so hard to put a pin in this & reality is, there is not “100% its this!!!!” Conclusion. KS for example maybe has been exposed longer to the southern strains of ehd/BT Building more immunity? Maybe, maybe not. But- I also hunted Northeast Kansas starting in 2000 & they had 2 horrid ehd break outs since then. I still remember a farmer showing us his “pile of summer/early fall racks”. Ravaged. Maybe some immunity build since then? Maybe pockets got hit while others spared ? Maybe pockets that got hit did have new strains brought in while other areas didn’t? I don’t know.

High populations & ehd- it can spread quicker but, logic says the “epidemic scale” we are now seeing, my “hypothesis” would say..... is something NEW has entered the system. Somehow, someway. High pops have come & gone forever without documented cases like this until last 15 to maybe 20 years. Something has changed- that I am convinced of. What it is- I agree or don’t disagree with any of u above. I think this debate, questions, challenging each other & critical thinking is really what we need more of!!!

Last side note.... I do think that as this becomes more wide spread & more of a cycling devastating occurrence - eventually- the motivation, $ & organization is going to unite to get a lot more research done. “Brush ehd/BT under rug as NO BIG DEAL, MINOR” (example: “it’s only 150 deer in a whole county - when the true # is probably 2,000+ ... no joke & I firmly believe this)..... all while pounding cwd discussion. IMO- enough of these years will go by & ehd/BT will start getting more attention as we have disasters like this hitting all over far too often. Sucks & I wish we took it serious now but it’s likely gonna take some more cycles of this & more wide spread to get due attention.

I agree sligh. Numbers are greater than listed by Dnr. They don’t want to scare off out of state revenue with true numbers. My area had double the deer population 15 years ago. No massive ehd outbreak. We as hunters are not going to help when we still shoot every doe we are allowed. I for one plan to throw a few doe tags right in the trash to protect the warren county herd.

I agree sligh. Numbers are greater than listed by Dnr. They don’t want to scare off out of state revenue with true numbers. My area had double the deer population 15 years ago. No massive ehd outbreak. We as hunters are not going to help when we still shoot every doe we are allowed. I for one plan to throw a few doe tags right in the trash to protect the warren county herd.

Do you really think the DNR is intentionally giving out false numbers? I am sure they are reporting what is reported to them. Do you think everyone who finds a dead deer reports it to the DNR?

Do you really think the DNR is intentionally giving out false numbers? I am sure they are reporting what is reported to them. Do you think everyone who finds a dead deer reports it to the DNR?

My guess is no - (1) no that the DNR is intentionally under-reporting and (2) no that everyone who finds a dead deer reports it to the DNR.

However, I have been known to be naïve on occasion also..........

Absolutely not. Of all the dead deer I know of, one has been reported. So call that 1 in 30.

The DNR is too short staffed to go looking for dead deer, think I read on their news feed that they will learn more when bow hunters hit the field soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DNR cannot add the numbers to their maps if no one calls them in. Maybe it would get more attention if everyone called in their observations and the numbers got large enough?

In Kansas we have 1/3 of the deer population you guys do and probably 20 times the number of cattle that you have. You have a lot more ag compared to our pastures. If it is cattle causing the problems then we should get wiped out year after year. I have 3 pastures and 3 new sets of cattle each May till November.

I don’t believe it is cattle but when I see posts saying 100 dead deer on 80 acres I gotta believe it is a population issue. I don’t have 25 deer on 2000 acres at any given moment. You take massive over population and big demand for water and you have a problem.

Everyone wants to be so protective of their deer that they limit numbers harvested and in many cases none get killed on some farms in Iowa because they don’t have a target buck they are excited about. That drives over population which brings us to days like this where all of that protection is for naught. Wouldn’t it be better to have a few more hunters to keep the herd in check versus getting wiped out every 4-5 years?

I could be wrong but nowhere else that I am aware of are they this protective and have the EHD problems Iowa has. Just my 2cents!!

I cant agree with this...EHD is caused by a "bug". IF the bug is there its going to bite whatever animal it comes in contact thus causing the reaction. So whether there are 100 deer on 80 acres or 10 either way the infected amount will probably be the same just in more relative numbers. And as a guy that came here solely for the deer hunting I can tell you the population is not what you think. Strong YES but over populated NO. Most of these "protected" farms are still killing plenty of deer. Maybe they arent killing the bucks but MOST of these land managers are still killing does.

I agree with Skip in something changed, drugs for cattle, chemicals in crops, heck i dont know. But when you overlay the map of cattle movement to the map of EHD is clear that it follows the cattle. NO doubt in my mind about it! Its something in the animal that is bringing about this epidemic. Think about all the things in the cattle/ag industry that have changed over the years. 30 years ago a big bull was 1800# now 2500#. A good yield on corn was 150bu/ac now 220 bu/ac. Im not over her going all organic hippie on this but these has been some changes in the farming world where EHD has followed. My 2 pennies and Im not very smart

My thinking is...if cattle host the disease and carry it well into the following spring with no signs of the disease, the disease will continue to grow and spread every year. Maybe a depression style drought might break the cycle?

Any thoughts on insecticides around water holes and ponds ? Spray exposed mud areas / shallow areas ? Cant do them all but help knock them back ???

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on insecticides around water holes and ponds ? Spray exposed mud areas / shallow areas ? Cant do them all but help knock them back ???

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk
Small scale If no fish, could help. Bigger scale, Won’t work or not practical unfortunately. Pyrethrins are insecticide of choice..... would need to spray so many times - weekly or biweekly for example, would drive u nuts. Cost a fortune & it’s not friendly on aquatic life. Trust me- I’ve thought about it. Then u get into creek systems & last.... u have a big batch of cattle with stagnant water 1/2 mile south.... south breeze & midges be blown right in. It sucks!!!!

Don’t think dnr is misrepresenting the #’s. Nope!! There’s also really great folks at Dnr & some “not so great” (like any business or organization). Just 99% of cases are never called in, confirmed or even found- in my experience & STRONG OPINION.
Where the rub or twist comes in is this & this is what drives me nuts with dnr & their position.... they put out #’s ..... “200 confirmed cases in xyz county”. Anyone with a brain & many in the dnr know it’s really 10x that amount. THEN!!!!!!....... a discussion like “cwd” or “tag #’s” or “late shed buck season” comes up!!!!!!!!! Anytime someone says EXAMPLES.....“well, cwd doesn’t impact me like ehd” “my neighborhood has low deer #’s after ehd came through - don’t want late shed buck season” or WHATEVER!!!!!! What is the go-to response (understood or just naive) of dnr or the General public?!?!?........ “EHD/BT is not a huge issue & overall doesn’t really impact the deer #’s and big picture. Over the whole state of Iowa in 20xx, we only had 1,000 documented cases across the whole state. Vs a population of _____. It’s minor & nothing vs these other things ______”. See how that works???? A county alone may lose 70% population but only a tiny fraction of that turns into “confirmed cases” - thus making talking points & data look very mild & non-important. That’s the problem right there. Couple that with their unwillingness to bring up the increased prevalence of ehd/BT & the newer & unexpected strains (of 7) they are finding here. Outbreaks could be rapidly increasing & increasing in scale & devastation levels but anyone can fall back on “well - in xyz year, we Only had xyz amount of cases!” Unfortunately, It’s gonna take years, a few more wide spread massive outbreaks and enough hunters to catch on before it stops being dismissed as “minor issue, let’s move on to more important topics”.

*Tmayer13 “& I’m not very smart”. Hilarious!! :DWell, I’m 10x dumber than u, dropped on my head as an infant, I ate pounds of lead paint chips while growing up next to a nuclear power plant with several melt downs & I still have some of this figured out!!

Found 2 more today. That’s over 40 confirmed deaths reported by me alone. Warren county says 400 cases....
So I’ve found 10% myself ....
This is crazy.

Small scale If no fish, could help. Bigger scale, Won’t work or not practical unfortunately. Pyrethrins are insecticide of choice..... would need to spray so many times - weekly or biweekly for example, would drive u nuts. Cost a fortune & it’s not friendly on aquatic life. Trust me- I’ve thought about it. Then u get into creek systems & last.... u have a big batch of cattle with stagnant water 1/2 mile south.... south breeze & midges be blown right in. It sucks!!!!

Don’t think dnr is misrepresenting the #’s. Nope!! There’s also really great folks at Dnr & some “not so great” (like any business or organization). Just 99% of cases are never called in, confirmed or even found- in my experience & STRONG OPINION.
Where the rub or twist comes in is this & this is what drives me nuts with dnr & their position.... they put out #’s ..... “200 confirmed cases in xyz county”. Anyone with a brain & many in the dnr know it’s really 10x that amount. THEN!!!!!!....... a discussion like “cwd” or “tag #’s” or “late shed buck season” comes up!!!!!!!!! Anytime someone says EXAMPLES.....“well, cwd doesn’t impact me like ehd” “my neighborhood has low deer #’s after ehd came through - don’t want late shed buck season” or WHATEVER!!!!!! What is the go-to response (understood or just naive) of dnr or the General public?!?!?........ “EHD/BT is not a huge issue & overall doesn’t really impact the deer #’s and big picture. Over the whole state of Iowa in 20xx, we only had 1,000 documented cases across the whole state. Vs a population of _____. It’s minor & nothing vs these other things ______”. See how that works???? A county alone may lose 70% population but only a tiny fraction of that turns into “confirmed cases” - thus making talking points & data look very mild & non-important. That’s the problem right there. Couple that with their unwillingness to bring up the increased prevalence of ehd/BT & the newer & unexpected strains (of 7) they are finding here. Outbreaks could be rapidly increasing & increasing in scale & devastation levels but anyone can fall back on “well - in xyz year, we Only had xyz amount of cases!” Unfortunately, It’s gonna take years, a few more wide spread massive outbreaks and enough hunters to catch on before it stops being dismissed as “minor issue, let’s move on to more important topics”.

*Tmayer13 “& I’m not very smart”. Hilarious!! :DWell, I’m 10x dumber than u, dropped on my head as an infant, I ate pounds of lead paint chips while growing up next to a nuclear power plant with several melt downs & I still have some of this figured out!!

I completely agree what what you saying. DNR does not make this an issue but even if they did what can done? If this disease is contracted through a bug then how do they stop it. I also agree they could reduce doe tag numbers to help the overall herd get back to "normal" in a faster manner. But ultimately the herd is up to US hunters. Just because they issue the tags doesnt mean we have to use them. So if they wont take the reins, then what can WE do to help inform hunters of the issue? For instance this season and most seasons for that matter I typically take a few does with my bow then wait to fill my bow tag, then wait until late muzzy and then wait to kill my buck then shoot some more does. Last year I killed 8 deer. 2 bucks and 6 does. Fed my family and other families. Also I like to donate a couple to help the cause. So maybe this year I should only shoot say 5 deer? I dont know what the answer is but it seems to me that we need to take the initiative. I realize that most on this site are fairly like minded on this issue, but this is small scale, tiny! So what else can we do to help spread the word? Idk just thinking out loud here..

I completely agree what what you saying. DNR does not make this an issue but even if they did what can done? If this disease is contracted through a bug then how do they stop it. I also agree they could reduce doe tag numbers to help the overall herd get back to "normal" in a faster manner. But ultimately the herd is up to US hunters. Just because they issue the tags doesnt mean we have to use them. So if they wont take the reins, then what can WE do to help inform hunters of the issue? For instance this season and most seasons for that matter I typically take a few does with my bow then wait to fill my bow tag, then wait until late muzzy and then wait to kill my buck then shoot some more does. Last year I killed 8 deer. 2 bucks and 6 does. Fed my family and other families. Also I like to donate a couple to help the cause. So maybe this year I should only shoot say 5 deer? I dont know what the answer is but it seems to me that we need to take the initiative. I realize that most on this site are fairly like minded on this issue, but this is small scale, tiny! So what else can we do to help spread the word? Idk just thinking out loud here..
I normally shoot several deer too. This year depending on deer sightings I may just shoot one doe and whatever mature buck I can kill (almost always just one).

I think the issue with EHD is it can be highly dependent on location. A farm a mile or two away could be decimated but my farm could be relatively untouched. So is me holding off on killing deer going to help repopulate the area that lost deer? I don't know the answer.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom