Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drone tresspassing

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
OK I don't even know if that is a real thing, but I foresee it becoming a problem. I was out hanging stands last week and swore I heard one flying around. I couldn't get a visual on it to confirm.

That got my head spinning.

Drones are becoming more and more popular. The prices are coming down. They are becoming more accessible to the masses.

I envision scenarios where a neighbor may be curious what you are doing on your farm, where your foodplots are, seeing if your truck is there or not there to go do who knows what.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think it likely has happened to some without them knowing and likely to become more common.

Spitballing for discussion.

I don't foresee the big problems people predict. Doom and gloom has been predicted ever since drones came out several years ago and I just haven't heard of many problems.
Drones are far less capable than most people seem to think. They are extremely loud , range limited, and you need to be very close to see any real detail ( nobody is going to sneak up on your daughter sun bathing) , you'll never get close enough to deer to see what your looking at.
Just like guns, ATVs, vehicles, booze, etc. A drone is a tool that can and will be abused in the wrong hands. But the reality is that consumer drones are fairly limited.

OK I don't even know if that is a real thing, but I foresee it becoming a problem. I was out hanging stands last week and swore I heard one flying around. I couldn't get a visual on it to confirm.

That got my head spinning.

Drones are becoming more and more popular. The prices are coming down. They are becoming more accessible to the masses.

I envision scenarios where a neighbor may be curious what you are doing on your farm, where your foodplots are, seeing if your truck is there or not there to go do who knows what.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think it likely has happened to some without them knowing and likely to become more common.

Spitballing for discussion.

I have had this same thought. I wonder what the laws are "protecting" air space above ones property?

There's tons of satellite and aerial (shot with planes) imagery of your property and mine that's freely accessible on the internet, all taken without our permission. Where is the line between that and someone flying a drone over and videoing their neighbor's property. Serious question. I'm not sure how one can be defended vs another.

There's tons of satellite and aerial (shot with planes) imagery of your property and mine that's freely accessible on the internet, all taken without our permission. Where is the line between that and someone flying a drone over and videoing their neighbor's property. Serious question. I'm not sure how one can be defended vs another.
Apples and oranges IMO:

Drone: Realtime Satellite: Most always weeks, months, years old

Drone: Physical object that can and will scare wildlife Satellite: In outer space no chance of disturbance

Drone: Way more detail, closeup, etc Satellite: picking out trees is as detailed as it gets

Drone: Noise, annoyance, etc to your enjoyment of property Satellite: NA

Legally nothing can be done. Airspace is not protected space. No different than somebody flying over your property in a paraglider (had that happen), hot air balloon (also had it happen-scared the $%#& out of me), small plane, helicopter, etc. Law enforcement uses them extensively to survey properties before moving in. Most drones are small enough to not be regulated by the FCC so literally nothing you can do about it. But...I don't forsee it being a huge problem...maybe isolated incidents, but IMO most people who are going to be up to no good probably don't have the $ or aren't tech savvy enough to be using drones.

Never thought about a drone buzzing over the neighbors food plot...that could be a problem!

FYI, shooting down a drone is a federal felony, since most of them are registered with the FAA. So if you shoot one down, it better not be able to see you ;)

On three different pieces of private, I can see stands on the neighbors from the fence line, but usually don’t go that deep. Is it ok for me to fly the drone over to check if the stands are occupied? See if deer are feeding in their fields?

Probably screw up my hunting, wouldn’t care to do it. Drones just seem like an invasion of privacy, though I expect little (less and less) privacy outdoors these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, shooting down a drone is a federal felony, since most of them are registered with the FAA. So if you shoot one down, it better not be able to see you ;)

For real? I have a drone, it isn't registered, nor are any of the ones that I know that others have. What is the applicable federal statute?

I've already have got 2 warning shots on one last summer. Family gathering one evening at my pond in my front yard. Bring them I'm bored. You can take your cameras and take selfies.
I'd do the same, there is no excuse for that kind of intrusion.

If your worried about a drone buzzing your deer hunting property how do you guys sleep at night ? I think Id pick up a new hobby if I was that worried about it . Literally dozens of easier ways for guys to hunt your stuff unless you live on it and even then if there is a will-there’s a way . Go hunt out west on public where theres 1000s of acres with no one who owns anything , it’ll open your eyes .

Last edited:
Top Bottom