Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drone tresspassing

I sleep just fine at night. Anybody who owns a drone and has to fly low over me with a camera has nose trouble. And I do hunt out west. Have for years so my eyes are open to watch for drones. Instead of calling them drones we should call them peeping toms.

If your worried about a drone buzzing your deer hunting property how do you guys sleep at night ? I think Id pick up a new hobby if I was that worried about it . Literally dozens of easier ways for guys to hunt your stuff unless you live on it and even then if there is a will-there’s a way . Go hunt out west on public where theres 1000s of acres with no one who owns anything , it’ll open your eyes .

Guess we should just take our gates and fences down too. No harm in looking right? No harm in passing through, that's what you're saying.

Guess we should just take our gates and fences down too. No harm in looking right? No harm in passing through, that's what you're saying.
Sounds like you guys have some sketchy neighbors .
Pretty sure all he's saying is there are bigger things to worry about than a drone checking out your property for deer hunting. What about the people that know you are gone for the weekend or busy and can sneak in a few hunts.
There is a law trying to be passed to make it illegal to fly a drone over private property without permission, but the drone companies are putting up a fight. Until then theres not much that can legally be done.

Lol thats not even close to what I was saying but okay . All I was referencing was the people worried about a drone checking their deer hunting property . Buzzing your personal space is not cool. Exactly what bigbuckhunter88 was saying. If your worried about a drone on your hunting farm - how do you handle the thought of people sneaking in to hunt while your at work or on vacation for the weekend ? The stress of the constant what ifs wouldnt even make it fun for me .

Last edited:
Just because something is less bad than something else, doesn't make it right. You said "buzzing your personal space is not cool." That's exactly what we're saying.

Just because something is less bad than something else, doesn't make it right. You said "buzzing your personal space is not cool." That's exactly what we're saying.
I see the threat of one buzzing around your x acre house a little more personal than buzzing around your XYZ acre deer farm - (which is highly unlikely ) More likely to get run out by coyote hunters , shed passers , and other tresspassers than a drone . The worry is so minimal in my opinion .

Well they're catching on. More and more owners every year. They're getting easier to use. I'm all for laws stating they can't fly over private property without permission. And I do have good neighbors that I don't need to worry about. I also have neighbors who come and go, who've proven they aren't trustworthy, some I've never met, maybe live several properties away, maybe only own a house in the woods and an acre... there's all sorts of people in flight range you probably don't even have a clue about.

How would anyone like neighbors surrounding your land with trail cams, on the lines, all pointed into your land? Legal sure. Invasion of privacy, you betcha.

There could be some shed hunters that use a drone to scan fields from the road, then haul ass in and grab the sheds? I could see that happening. I have a drone and you can see small objects fairly easy.

There could be some shed hunters that use a drone to scan fields from the road, then haul ass in and grab the sheds? I could see that happening. I have a drone and you can see small objects fairly easy.

Eventually we will have civilian drones that can pick up objects. Imagine that...a drone that can fly over your field...spot a shed...and swoop down and pick it up!!! :)

Yes sir, I believe that could be a new gun season I would support! What's the fine for taking one down? Consider it my first season tag paid and filled.
You'd be playing with fire. I believe the FAA is on record saying they view unmanned aircraft the same as manned aircraft, they both have to follow the same airspace rules.. no-fly zones are the same for drones and planes, etc. Aircraft Sabotage is a federal crime and would definitely land you prison time. With that said, I can't speak on whether there has been anyone criminally charged for shooting down a drone (like everything in government, there's a ton of grey area and this seems to be one of those areas) but shooting at or shooting down aircraft IS a federal crime. And if the FAA is going to view all aircraft, manned or unmanned, as one in the same (again, based on what they've said, it seems they do).. you might find yourself in a predicament. Shooting down the neighbor kid's drone that isn't registered with the FAA (even though the law says it should be) is one thing.. you're probably just going to have to deal with little Jonnie's mad mama. But shooting down the drone of the real estate agent taking pictures of the neighbor's property he's putting up for sale or the cell company's drone checking things on their tower on your land, and the drone is FAA registered, and they report you... according to what the FAA says, you might be getting a visit from the feds. Like it or not, the air above your property is public airspace as things stand now.

I get it, privacy is important. But odds are people that have the funds to spend on a drone that can perform at the level needed to do some of the things y'all are worried about, aren't going to be using them maliciously.

Reminds me of my grandmother being worried about people looking in her windows with a drone when they first started getting popular, lol. Why spend a $1000 on a drone when you can just go look in the window? Criminals are dumb, I know... but really? :D

There are many legitimate uses for drones and I’d hate to see so many regulations on a recreational activity that it is no longer enjoyable. Let us look at one possible scenario. Say a strong storm hits an area and someone with a drone would like to take a video showing the damage. Should simply flying over someone’s property in the process be a illegal?

We don't have to guess about getting in trouble or not about shooting down a drone or not. There is already case law where more than one person has been fined for doing so over their own property. I'll look for links in a minute. I'd still shoot one down if I felt like it was intruding and take my chances of getting caught and or live with the fine if I had to. Hopefully I never have to worry about it.

Well I'm no good at links on my phone, but a quick Google search brings up a lot of articles. My main take away is that formal high level court rulings on if drones are trespassing and or if you can shoot them down has not been decided yet. One case in federal court that may have provided some clarity was dismissed due to the judge determining the case should have been on state court. Most of the incidents that had any definitive negative outcome were arrests or fines due to discharge of a firearm in a place they are not supposed to be. Lucky for me I am outside the city limits so I don't have that concern.

If your worried about a drone on your hunting farm - how do you handle the thought of people sneaking in to hunt while your at work or on vacation for the weekend ? The stress of the constant what ifs wouldnt even make it fun for me .
Bear trap! The best purchase I've ever made besides my farm. I sleep very well at night!

Top Bottom