Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Treecoy, mock scrape, rub post- new install strategy

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Last year I did the whole rubbing post mock scrape experiment for the first time. Results were insane. Yes I was a little slow to the party as some of you have been on to this for years. Last year I used concrete to anchor a white pine tree. It worked awesome and is in a spot I'd like to have one every year.

So I got to thinking about how to make changing out the tree every year much easier and not have to pour concrete again.

So I decided to set a 6" schedule 40 sleeve in the ground about 3' deep. The sleeve is anchored in concrete and is solid as a rock. I drilled holes in the top of the sleeve that I can run 3" deck screws thru after I set my new tree in place. Should work pretty slick. Every year should be able to just remove and replace a handful of screws to insert new tree. I think this should work well. I'll report back when tree goes in ths sleeve.
15444cb727c2509d15f560848deeeeea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a really good idea. I'm wanting to do this same thing (rub post and scrapes) on my farm. No clue where to put them. I'm assuming somewhere near or in line with some stands. Are you putting yours in a food plot?
Really like the idea you have of being able to easily replace the post/tree.

Sounds like a really good idea. I'm wanting to do this same thing (rub post and scrapes) on my farm. No clue where to put them. I'm assuming somewhere near or in line with some stands. Are you putting yours in a food plot?
Really like the idea you have of being able to easily replace the post/tree.

Put them in range of your bowstand Cybbie! Just sayin'. :) Truly though, I usually put a few of these out too and they are normally very effective. Nice idea on burying the sleeve for future years too.

Any other trees work other than white pine? Not sure the town folks would like me using one of their white pines! :)

Great thought. I have used cedar or willow which worked but trying a 4x4 cedar post from Menards this year.

What tree species work the best from your experience??
I used white pine based on some research on this site and elsewhere. I can tell you they started hitting white pine the NEXT day. It is very aromatic and I have to beleive that plays into it. I think other people have had success with willow. If I had to guess, any softwood would work well. I'm sticking with white pine.

Got several in the ground. Seems to work awesome. Went with willow pole and black oak licking branches with grape vine. Super secure with 3" deck screws thru the PVC that is concreted 3'+ in the ground. . "Tree" will not go anywhere. All in range at lil kill plots.
462ad2d3dc52c4c3f9baaae6fae55f5f.jpg
27b6d9e32eb1a67d56effff293936b2b.jpg
f85e87d00845888631898e8f872e93e5.jpg
be9b95c062c7438d3a8aa7374d348b11.jpg
606e377c4c5ba9c83df48a306133b986.jpg

that's a pretty handy idea. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to put a pvc cap on it during the off season to keep them from filling up with debris.

that's a pretty handy idea. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to put a pvc cap on it during the off season to keep them from filling up with debris.
You could, I prolly wont. I purposely left them above the ground a bit so they wouldn't fill up with dirt.

K
Got several in the ground. Seems to work awesome. Went with willow pole and black oak licking branches with grape vine. Super secure with 3" deck screws thru the PVC that is concreted 3'+ in the ground. . "Tree" will not go anywhere. All in range at lil kill plots.
462ad2d3dc52c4c3f9baaae6fae55f5f.jpg
27b6d9e32eb1a67d56effff293936b2b.jpg
f85e87d00845888631898e8f872e93e5.jpg
be9b95c062c7438d3a8aa7374d348b11.jpg
606e377c4c5ba9c83df48a306133b986.jpg

Keep us updated with pics and info as the season goes on if you would please?

scotch pine is good too if you can find it! Im gonna try Ted Miller's rub horizontal post this year. Be interesting to see how well it works

Put out four of the horizontal rubs last year. No luck at all with them. Had cameras on them and the deer wouldn't even look at them.

Put out four of the horizontal rubs last year. No luck at all with them. Had cameras on them and the deer wouldn't even look at them.

I have done a horizontal rub the last few years in a main travel corridor and I seem to get activity around it quite often. I don't think it draws deer into the area but it seems to pull them to that point as they are walking by and I put my best cell cam there. I also make it a point to start a scrape in September with a good synthetic and try to drive up to it on the ranger and doctor it without any human scent. Usually, they take off and it becomes a daily stop for most deer as they travel through. Now that they know the area is there and usually has a great deal of scent, it gets a little better every year. I do replace the limb every year and I make sure it is aromatic wood (yellow wood/cedar). But I think the key was putting it on an old farm road/logging road that gets daily travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom