Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth tag #1 notched.

Jmac0501

Last weekend I had my youngest out and just didn't have much moving around. Saw a doe and fawn, but the doe was out of range for him.
This weekend it was my older son's turn. He's 14, so this is his next to last year hunting youth season. I really enjoyed the time in the stand with him this year. He's always been very patient during the hunt, but this year, we both just enjoyed the time more than we have at times in the past. He said before we got to the stand... "I know we're busy this fall, so I'm not being picky. I'll shoot the first deer I have a good shot at."
Saturday morning was dead calm. We could hear every squirrel, mouse and bird move as legal light came.
Less than 30 minutes after legal light, I heard something to my right, so told Alik and kept an eye that way.
After a couple minutes, I caught movement, and gave him a couple quick elbows, he was at 25 yards and closing. Alik very slowing got the MZ up and ready for a shot as he came towards us, still quartering to us pretty hard. Last year, he made the mistake of not getting the hammer cocked early enough. I told him he needed to get it cocked, but had to be careful when, due to how quiet it was. The deer was still quartering to us, when he cocked the hammer, and he was instantly on high alert. He pegged us in the tree, and did the stomp and walk as he came to broadside at maybe 10 yards. He stopped stomping, and took a couple more slow steps, so I didn't even try to stop him. Alik pulled the trigger and I saw the mule kick through the smoke as he turned back where he came from.
It was so quiet, we could hear him run through the woods, crash and then do the death shake... I said, he's down... Alik said... here come the shakes! we waited a few minutes for Alik's shakes to subside then got down and after him.
Not much blood, but there was some. Followed less than 50 yards and found him piled up against a tree. Shot was a bit high, but he took out both lungs.
We got his tag notched, a couple of quick photos and Alik grabbed a hold of him and started dragging him uphill. I didn't remind him that we could have field dressed him where he was, and saved a bit of weight for the drag. I just stood by and watched him. Good to have him big enough to drag his own deer.
Young deer, but good size body for the age of the deer.
Shanks are cut for oso bucco, shoulder roasts wrapped and ribs cut and in the freezer. Will wait till we have a couple more to finish processing the rest, but great start to the season.
20190928_083759.jpg

Way to go Alik!! Congrats to both of you...and by the way, that's a really good photo!!

NWBuck

Nice one Alik! Good to see all the father and child stories in here. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom