Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck recovery?

Rutty

I had a buddy shoot a really nice buck tonight. The buck was quartering to hard. He shot the buck at 17 yards and hit the shoulder. He found his arrow right away in the field with 2.5 inches of total penetration. He was shooting a rage broadhead. The deer ran away hard for 80 yards and then stopped and stared back in his direction. And then limped out of the field walking. What do you guys think the chances of recovering him are? Is 2.5 inches enough to kill him. Thoughts? If he doesn’t kill him from his shot how would you go about hunting him going forward.... I don’t think the deer knew what happened.

Doubtful that 2.5 inches of penetration would kill him. As for hunting him now, I am not sure. He might avoid that particular area for a bit.

That deer is alive if that is all he got for penetration in shoulder. He will bleed for a few hundred yards then dry up. You gotta try to find him but I think you will see the above results

It's likely going to heal up.
Now... not bashing here... please help your buddy understand what a bad shot a hard quartering to shot is. Even with heavy arrows and cut on contact single bevel heads it's a bad idea. I tried it once many years ago on a doe and didn't get her either. It was a bad idea then and still is.
I hope he still gets it but I'd stay out of that area for several days to a week.

Top Bottom