Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10/29 Harvest

203ntyp

PMA Member
Mentioned earlier in the my "Looking for advice" post. He's not big by mid-west standards but for my location in PA I'm am grateful to have harvested him. I had no pics of him, seemed to just show up that morning. I run cameras year round and this is one of a few years that I had no buck spending the spring and summer around the small area I hunt. Between my neighbor and I my son and I have 45 acres to hunt, small woodlots surrounded by developments on 2 sides.

I spotted him pop out of a thick bedding area I have established over the past 6 years about 100 yards below me right behind the neighbors farm house around 8:50 am, one grunt brought him up the hill to within 22 yards. Unfortunately when I had him standing perfect I couldn't get my release locked on the string, dummy me usually checks that but I had it too tight on my wrist and couldn't get my finger behind the trigger. That sent panic running through my mind, not a good thing to happen. By the time I got the release on he started to walk away from me and I rushed the shot sending the arrow over him.

Fortunately that turned him back my way at full alert and he decided to circle my location to get down wind of me. He stopped 27 yards to my right slightly quartering to me and when I tried to draw my elbow wouldn't get around the tree I was in turning hard to the right. Panic again but somehow I managed to lift my arm enough to regain my form but I knew he was about to turn and leave and rushed the shot again but did connect. Not being sure of exactly where the arrow hit I backed out for 6 1/2 hours after getting advice from site members (Thank You).

Turns out he only went about 60 yards but down into a small ravine. I could not even begin to try and drag him back up the hill so with help of another old timer we stretched a rope down the hill and pulled him up. I'm getting too old for muscling deer heavier than skinny me, he dressed out at 168 lbs.

Picture looking down the hill when I spotted him
full

full

His ride home with my Iowawhitetail hat on him, got some looks from the neighbors.

full

I'll post the score on the 19-20 Team Contest Score Thread.

Awesome buck, very cool to knock em down on the home turf!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom