Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electric Fence question

Yikes! Coons can do A LOT of damage to a corn plot. Stating the obvious here...but you should get after them with some "steel" this fall(trapping) or calling them or even allowing coon hunters to sweep your place a couple of times. You only have to lay off of them for a year and then there are seemingly zillions of them the next year.
I bought a six dog proof traps and a buddy gave me 4. I'm going to get after them come Fall. And will do it every fall from here on out.

I bought a six dog proof traps and a buddy gave me 4. I'm going to get after them come Fall. And will do it every fall from here on out.

FWIW, I catch some in DP's every year, they do work. But you may find that some of the wilier masked bandits will not get snagged in one of these style of traps as often. I also use 220 conibears, live cage traps and a few conventional footholds to round out the arsenal.

I have noticed though that the bigger, presumably older and smarter, ones show up in the regular foothold style more often. Water edge sets like pocket sets or fish stick sets are good, but the good ol' dirthole is probably the best overall set IMO and you will also give yourself a better chance at a bobcat or coyote that way too. Good luck!!

Here is a picture of what the coons did to the corn plot. Little bastards.

Attachments

• destroyed corn (2).jpg
    destroyed corn (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
Turnips radishes and rape growth 2 week growth. The tall stuff is green screen.

Attachments

• trailer plot (2).jpg
    trailer plot (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
Another plot we put in radish turnips and rape since the deer destroyed the bean plot.

Attachments

• Tall stand food plot (3).jpg
    Tall stand food plot (3).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
Wandering mind in the stand this fall. Everyone seems to agree you need two rows of fence. My thought was could a guy just used 7 or 8' t posts pounded in at a slant and put the 3 wires on that post?

I haven't updated anything in a while. Pulled the fence out right before gun season. They must not of found it until the first sunday of second season. Food plot was loaded up. Next year we go bigger and better. More beans and more fence.

Im try tape this year , wire was a head ache and dint work well for me . Little bit of installation error :(:D

Wire is easier to string, and I think it carries the current better. Tape is more visible unless you tie markers to the wire for visibility, but that's a pain in the butt as well.
Wire is also easier to splice together, but harder to roll up at the end of the year imo.
I've used both, and probably will continue to do so..

Top Bottom