Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ghillie Suit

I got one at scheels, can't remember the brand. Was like $50. Its nothing fancy, but pretty cool. You just pull it on over your regular hunting clothes. I walk in with my normal hunting clothes then put it on once i'm to where I will sit. My goal was to try and shoot a doe with my longbow from the ground this fall. I only made it out a couple of times with it though. Had a small buck come by within 10 yards and a doe and fawn come by about 15 yards. Just sitting on a bucket against a tree/brush on the ground. Pretty cool.

I have the Arcturus Ghost suit. I like it. It was closer to $100. As stated, don't walk thru the woods with it on. Put it on after you get there. I'd also look at the Rancho Safari ghillie coat if you're looking.

I have never used one, but a friend of mine used to use one and swore by it. He wasn't very mobile and also not really a tree climber either, so he would sit on a bucket with his back to a tree and hunt that way. I do remember him talking about how much his stunk though. I assume from many uses and no good way to clean it??? Perhaps nowadays they have some that could go through a washing machine?? If I was going to buy one, that is something that I would look for I think.

I have one of the ones from Scheels as well. Red Rock Outdoor I believe is the brand. Comes with pants, coat, hat and a gun cover I believe. I've mainly used the hat and coat and have had some pretty fun hunts with it on.

To you guys that bought Red Rock outdoors at scheels... what size did you get? Is it loose fitting? I am wanting to pull it over clothes in early season but also have the ability to throw it over bulky wool bibs in late season.

I have an old one that's made like a trench coat. It is just strips of camo fabric, burlap and twine sewn to an open mesh, and it deffinitly has an oder. Mine is shaggy enough you need to practice with your bow while wearing it. I don't bow hunt anymore but still wear it gun season, I just throw an orange vest on over it, still works good with the vest.

To you guys that bought Red Rock outdoors at scheels... what size did you get? Is it loose fitting? I am wanting to pull it over clothes in early season but also have the ability to throw it over bulky wool bibs in late season.

I checked, that's the one I have. It was $50 at scheels. I got an XL, same size as my normal clothes. It is loose fitting and will fit over your normal hunting gear. This guillie suit is not a garment to wear by itself as a pants and coat etc, its very lightweight and just mesh with strands of fabric like string on it. You need to wear normal clothing/hunting gear under it. I was able to fit it comfortably over my cold gear etc this fall. Its pretty elastic or stretable, not a big deal. If bowhunting you may want to trim some of the strands off of the arm that holds your bow. Also, I didn't wear the hat/face thing that came with it, seemed to bulky for bowhunting to me. I've only used it a few times and some of the strands of the fabric etc that hang down that make it a guillier suit have come off already, so i'm a bit concerned about its longevity.

I used the Scheels version last year. I'm 6' 0", 200 lbs and got the L/XL I believe and it fit well over my Sitka late season gear. Def would be big earlier in the year.

I replaced it just a couple weeks ago with an upgraded version. Got the Arcturus Ghost suit off of Amazon & haven't used it yet. My only complaint about the Scheels (Red Rock Outdoors) was that it clumped up really quickly (only used it 6-8 hunts). It doesn't have a ton of "string/fabric" so once it clumped up it looks like a mangy coyote with bare spots all over it. Partly my fault because I was laying in some thick brush/CRP which caused that. The upgrade was simply to ensure there was more string/fabric.

They work, I laid in a terrace during Shotgun 2 last season while 50+ deer came within range every night last year. Ended up taking one of my largest bucks, never would have been possible without a ghillie suit.

Top Bottom