Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lot of deer on cam missing hair on back?

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I have several deer on camera missing hair on their back.... it's very strange. Only on one farm, but several deer.

I'll post some pics later.

Any ideas?

We have seen this too in the past...although I can't really recall the last one that had that going on, so it has been a few years. One buck in particular had this most every year and because of it, he was dubbed "Baldback". My son finally got him when he was 8, possibly 9, years old, and he had exhibited the "baldness" probably 4 or 5 of the years that we were tracking him...but there was at least one year where he didn't show the bald patch. Go figure.

We always thought it was related to sliding under a fence(s)...but after watching many different bucks over the years...some bucks will deliberately scratch their backs with their antlers. So I then kind of switched to suspecting the self scratching...but I suppose it could be a combination of both...fence crossings and scratching.

Most the bucks with a decent rack have that in the loess where I hunt. They do it with there antlers. I don't know why.

Here is an example
3c36a8b533bf4f7659315a5f6dd7dde4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here's a different one. There's at least a couple more.

...and it's only on this farm.
19fd65986c526ff93d082fe730bc31c8.jpg

Thought I saw something about it being parasites that either make them scratch or causes hair loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with antler scratching. Look back at trailcam pics for flies and ticks.

Ticks, ticks and more ticks. Very pronounced in bucks that can reach the spot on their backs. Split or kicker point that makes it easier to scratch.

....the thought drives me insane having to deal with that as a deer. Seriously. Animals have few remidys.

I'm sure we've all had an itch on our backs that we just can't scratch. :) I'd hate to be an animal that has to deal with biting insects with no remedy!

I've noticed the same thing this year. A lot more than usual. Almost every good buck on cam has hair missing some worse than others.

Some ivermectin treated corn once or twice a year sure would do miracles on decimating tick population. Not gonna happen but sure would work!

I noticed this several years ago in Illinois & Iowa.
I seen a buck in each state go under a fence instead of over it.

Neither had much hair on there back straps.

Have seen this a lot in larger bucks that can scratch and in otter areas where deer have an area they are ducking fence or blow downs.

Noticed this over 20 years ago. It's bucks with antlers big enough to scratch their backs. Has nothing to do with fences.

Not quite back, but this shed buck has the biggest bald spot I've come across. Any guesses on what caused it? I would have guessed a wound of some sort and he licked it but no visible wound. Road rash?
41845ef92355d71746ea9f19f0b0adf2.jpg
14b4ace13f90fb0205dd3c02fdda87dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom