Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land pressure

Francis

New member here from Ohio, so I can understand the constant public land questions from out of staters. I was hoping for a little input from the locals. I'm just trying to gauge some of the pressure on the public lands. Last march I came out for two weekend trips, doing about 25 miles a day scouting/shed hunting. I covered a good bit in zones 9 & 8. I'm planning a three day trip this spring to come back down and do more scouting/shed hunting. Just by looking at the amount of tags given out, I've been leaning towards checking out zone 6 over 5. Shimek State Forest, Eldon Wildlife were two that I was starting to study the maps on. I really liked a few of the places I scouted in zones 8 & 9, but the pieces seem so small if I run into a few hunters my trip may be ruined, without being able to jump to another zone. That's one the main reasons I started looking into Shimek. Putting a ton of time/money into scouting before I make plans on a destination. I just worry about ruining into similar situations as I do in Ohio, walk a mile back and randomly at 4 some guys comes walking out of the thicket. Our public land gets crazy pressure, so I understand that theirs going to be people out. I failed to realize how much more popular shed hunting is in Iowa over Ohio. Really hoping to be able to get to some un touched places to maybe find a few more sheds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

I know this info is vague but Ive driven through Shimek on my way to zone 5 during the various seasons and noticed a few vehicles, but not the volume you’d expect. Same with the Sedan Bottoms in zone 5. Most cars there in shotgun 1 but not many in archery and gun 2.

If you want a good archery experience at a fraction of the cost of the $660 Iowa goat tag try Rebels Cove public in Missouri located on the Iowa line. You’re hunting the same deer. I’ve done it a few times and had a blast. Be aware of the rifle opener that happens in mid November. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
So are you looking for a place to deer hunt? Or you looking for places to get out on a shed trip?

Thanks for the response.

I guess the main goal is to hunt, I just love shed hunting so much I'd like to make a trip for just shed hunting. I know the end goal is finding a place to hunt. I'm not worried about putting in the work and scouting it takes, just trying to find something I would be able to get away and not run into other hunters every sit.

In ohio I'm used to multiple cars parked in every lost through out bow season, and vans filled with 5 amish.

Last edited:
I would forget the shed trip . Honestly by shedding season it seems like most the deer are long gone blown off public and in some deer farmers sanctuary food plots. Your best bet is in the rut with a bow catching them cruising. Many get it done every year and some good ones at that. Gun seasons a crap shoot to me it seems like, way too many people and the deer are unpredictable. Put your time in , find a pinch play the wind and good luck !

My assessment is he’s looking to hunt

Your assessment was partially correct..........

As for the original post, good luck with your shed hunt. Get here early as possible. And be prepared to walk a pile. Guys have already started walking corn food plots on public. 2 days of season left. If that tells ya what kind of competition you’re up against.

If you are planning on hunting, don't hesitate to stop at a few private land farms and tell them your situation. Bow hunter from Ohio and I will be here from X to X days. I do not draw a tag every year, so I will not be here every weekend. Worth a try.

Last year I underestimated how popular the shed hunting was. Slept in the truck and walk/scouted from sun up to sun down and was no where that didn't have boot tracks no matter how far I walked. Still somehow managed 6, one matched set about 130 and half to a really good buck. I'm surprised it was missed, could see the foot prints and dog tracks not far from it, so I'm assuming they had the other side. Probably the most excited I've ever been when I found that. Realized being so far and having to plan the trip won't be about to make it over in time to compete.

Forgot to add would be for bow hunting trip only, no gun. Thanks for the help guys, time to study some maps again and get a game plan for March.

You guys have any snow built up yet?

Attachments

• Attach31090_20190323_200941.jpg
    Attach31090_20190323_200941.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 97
Your assessment was partially correct..........

As for the original post, good luck with your shed hunt. Get here early as possible. And be prepared to walk a pile. Guys have already started walking corn food plots on public. 2 days of season left. If that tells ya what kind of competition you’re up against.

I know that I need to focus on the hunting aspect more, something about finding sheds gives me such a rush. Hard for me to not think about shed hunting as well

No. Forecast for maybe some snow this Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a crazy year so far. I live off the lake so I get pounded with lake effect and we've had like no snow this year.

That was the hardest part was trying to figure out how much snow you guys had left last spring.

I know that I need to focus on the hunting aspect more, something about finding sheds gives me such a rush. Hard for me to not think about shed hunting as well

You and every other guy on this website. Do you fish? If so, when you find a public lake and the crappie bite is fast and furious; do you run home and post on here how hot the bite is, what you used for a presentations and how deep you fished? I know I sure don’t. Just blows my mind, someone who ask for information regarding such a delicate resource (shed antlers). They don’t reproduce after you come by and pick them up. God knows these areas don’t need anymore pressure. I tell you about a hot spot, and that’s less antlers for myself or a fellow resident to pick up. Just doesn’t make much sense.

You and every other guy on this website. Do you fish? If so, when you find a public lake and the crappie bite is fast and furious; do you run home and post on here how hot the bite is, what you used for a presentations and how deep you fished? I know I sure don’t. Just blows my mind, someone who ask for information regarding such a delicate resource (shed antlers). They don’t reproduce after you come by and pick them up. God knows these areas don’t need anymore pressure. I tell you about a hot spot, and that’s less antlers for myself or a fellow resident to pick up. Just doesn’t make much sense.

I'm not asking for anyone's hot spots, or asking where I can go to find giant sheds or shoot a giant buck. I'm confident to sink or swim in my own abilities, just trying to gauge the pressure if there's some places people notice that don't get hammered. You can just lie and say your favorite spot is hammered don't waste your time. I'm not asking you to on x me some waypoints. To answer your question, yes I would tell others where I had a good bite.

Also don't believe it hurts to ask, still good people out there willing to give some helpful suggestions. If you're putting a ton of effort into something, why not ask and see if you can gain any further information?

I'm not asking for anyone's hot spots, or asking where I can go to find giant sheds or shoot a giant buck. I'm confident to sink or swim in my own abilities, just trying to gauge the pressure if there's some places people notice that don't get hammered. You can just lie and say your favorite spot is hammered don't waste your time. I'm not asking you to on x me some waypoints. To answer your question, yes I would tell others where I had a good bite.

Also don't believe it hurts to ask, still good people out there willing to give some helpful suggestions. If you're putting a ton of effort into something, why not ask and see if you can gain any further information?

Two each their own. I’m guessing your really young and rambunctious. You’ll figure it out eventually.

New member here from Ohio, so I can understand the constant public land questions from out of staters. I was hoping for a little input from the locals. I'm just trying to gauge some of the pressure on the public lands. Last march I came out for two weekend trips, doing about 25 miles a day scouting/shed hunting. I covered a good bit in zones 9 & 8. I'm planning a three day trip this spring to come back down and do more scouting/shed hunting. Just by looking at the amount of tags given out, I've been leaning towards checking out zone 6 over 5. Shimek State Forest, Eldon Wildlife were two that I was starting to study the maps on. I really liked a few of the places I scouted in zones 8 & 9, but the pieces seem so small if I run into a few hunters my trip may be ruined, without being able to jump to another zone. That's one the main reasons I started looking into Shimek. Putting a ton of time/money into scouting before I make plans on a destination. I just worry about ruining into similar situations as I do in Ohio, walk a mile back and randomly at 4 some guys comes walking out of the thicket. Our public land gets crazy pressure, so I understand that theirs going to be people out. I failed to realize how much more popular shed hunting is in Iowa over Ohio. Really hoping to be able to get to some un touched places to maybe find a few more sheds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

Everyone has different ideas what pressure is on public land. Shimek has four parcels ( If I remember right) and guaranteed there are quality bucks to be had. If you have woodsman ship you will have a good hunt. Shed hunting and cyber scouting will be beneficial in your success! Good luck

Geez your a *ick....

Good luck. If you enjoy shed hunting, and have time to do it. You’ll scoop up a few.

Like I said before. Don’t be afraid to ask on private.

I'm sure you can find some sheds, but don't be surprised to find boot prints about everywhere. I can't speak for southeast iowa, but central iowa is all walked hard. I don't think there is anywhere that I go, public/private that is not walked by others, finding others prints is expected. They don't find them all though.

Top Bottom