Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hungry Coyote question

Wapsi Tree Rat

Quick question,

Shot a deer on the 10th (miserable in the freezing rain!). Thin blood and rain so I knew my chances of recovery were probably better to back out and grid search in the morning. Found my deer, but yotes chewed up both my rump roasts. Was able to salvage about 1/2 of each.

I salvaged what I could and cut back about 2 inches from the chewed areas. Just wondering if I need to worry about any disease (rabies?)yotes may carry in their saliva. I usually make jerky out of the rumps, so thought I'd ask. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If they chewed the back roasts I'd pitch them. Probably OK with the back straps, front shoulders, and neck meat.

I know guys that have trimmed coyote chews off and they're still alive, but personally better safe than sorry IMO

It’s never affected me yet!

57d02666d80ff18e7bc995e088687cf4.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn’t trust it! I’ve seen coyotes eat on live deer until they finally died. The deer’s blood stream is still working pumping blood plus any bacteria getting into the blood stream thru the whole deers body. No telling what you may be eating. We all want to do the right thing and salvage all we can but it only takes one instance for a human to get sick. It’s not worth the chance in my opinion.

Man it kills me to do this but anytime we have a coyote eat a deer we toss the whole thing. I kills me to do it but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've dealt with enough infections and crap and ended up with some expensive bills. I don't need to add to the list of things that put me in the hospital. With that said, I know guys who have ate it and been fine, but I'm not taking the risk myself anymore.

If you toss a coyote chew, might as well toss any gut shot deer as the bacteria from the gut will be moved by the blood.

Properly curing jerky will render it safe. Cook cuts of meat well. Rabies needs a warm host to survive, doubt the coyotes had it anyways.

If in doubt, throw it out, but with trimming and cooking, odds are low of getting sick from eating it. I had friends work at Tama Pack and their stories would have you thinking vegan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I had friends work at Tama Pack and their stories would have you thinking vegan.

Ha! :) ^^ Years ago, I was sitting in a Hy-Vee Deli eating lunch and I happened to be sitting next to some random dudes that were taking turns telling their grossest stories. I have a pretty strong stomach, so I was mainly amused by their tales...until the one guy started to talk about his experience inside a meat packing plant. I almost lost it! Perhaps he was embellishing things a little...but I truly had to quit eating while listening to that. :)

Well, so much for a "quick" question with a straight forward answer! Seriously though, thanks for the input guys..

LoessHillsArcher says toss the entire deer.

Muddy says toss half the deer meat.

JNRBRONC says cook it well...sorry, medium rare for me at most.

And then there's Ishi with the selfie claiming he's still mostly human!

Daver, you seem to be a "healthy" looking gentleman. You ever eat a coyote chew?

Well, so much for a "quick" question with a straight forward answer! Seriously though, thanks for the input guys..

Daver, you seem to be a "healthy" looking gentleman. You ever eat a coyote chew?

I can only recall one time where the local yotes found one of my deer before I did and they only got a few bites out of the rump. I avoided the affected area and otherwise processed it and ate it as best as I can recall. If I felt like, as someone above mentioned, that the coyotes started in on a still live specimen...I would leave that behind. Now that you mention it though...this may have been the cause for ol' Daver adding on a few extra pounds. :) Yeah, yeah, I think that is what did it! I am pretty sure now that is when I started to get "healthy". :) Freaking coyotes! :)

Gut shot...I have processed these before and been dissatisfied with the outcome. Truth...if we have a deer that dies a death from a gut shot(sepsis)...those get "donated" back to nature. Now then...if a deer is hit in the guts and otherwise dies pretty quickly from blood loss, those are fine IMO and we keep them.

And I say there are people that eat coyote! Truth! :)

I've done both. Had yotes get into the ribcage where my arrow pass through minutes after the hit (left to get my son to "help" track her when he was around 8 years old. Got back and she had a softball size opening in her side. Trimmed around and ate the deer. Had another doe a few years ago that had the back end of her chewed good. Tossed the whole thing. It was warm and she layed overnight.
I just didn't trust it and no way was I going to get my family sick. Would have ended venison in my house forever.

...... Now that you mention it though...this may have been the cause for ol' Daver adding on a few extra pounds. :) Yeah, yeah, I think that is what did it! I am pretty sure now that is when I started to get "healthy". :) Freaking coyotes! :)

Daver, you're a good honest fella, but you're lying through your teeth! Anyone who has done it knows that the pounds start piling on the moment you say "I do". :)

Top Bottom