Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land pressure

Just checking in to see how my "Friends of Iowa" are getting along. I didn't even have time to buy all three of my buck tags this year.

Glad to hear you are ok and coming back on this site. It’s nice to see your “nice buck” or “congrats” comments in the Harvest section—nice to see the member support.

Glad to hear you are ok and coming back on this site. It’s nice to see your “nice buck” or “congrats” comments in the Harvest section—nice to see the member support.

Do this;

Go to the mirror. Look at yourself and say, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it....people like me."

That wont get you an Iowa tag, but it might make you feel a little better about yourself.

And by the way, I support these members at the Statehouse level where it matters the most. It's not quite as social, but effective.

Slammed no one. Don’t need help. Have a great farm I’ll be hunting In the fall. Spoke the truth. You are the epitome of this site. Been here almost as long as you, 2003. Why did Onecam bail ? Your start date is equivalent to one cams launch date. You know him. ??Online forums are essentially dead

If we can't agree that saying "This is the last place you'll get honest advice" is slamming the site and everyone on it, then it will be tough to have a productive discussion.

Daver covered most of my other thoughts much better than I could have written. Thanks Daver.

You also called me out for mistakenly assuming you wanted the NR rules to change in an earlier post and then asked for help in changing them with the post above (and then oddly said you didn't ask for help). Which is it? Help me understand exactly what you are really looking to do with regard to Iowa's NR rules. I want the NR rules to stay as they are.

Thanks for the compliment on representing the site. I find most everyone has valid points and generally presents them in a respectful manner.

And what does my join date have to do with anything. Would knowing OneCam change your view of me for the better or worse?

I'm confused why you keep being a member of this site if you find it so dishonest, anti-NR, and not helpful.

I applaud you for purchasing years ago. I wish I had done that. Good luck this fall. I hope you enjoy your time in Iowa and have a successful season.

Do this;

Go to the mirror. Look at yourself and say, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it....people like me."

That wont get you an Iowa tag, but it might make you feel a little better about yourself.

And by the way, I support these members at the Statehouse level where it matters the most. It's not quite as social, but effective.

I am in a zone that I can get a tag every year... thanks

Go to harvest section (see deer)

I am in a zone that I can get a tag every year... thanks

Go to harvest section (see deer)

Proving that even our really crappy zones are better than what most states have to offer. Good to know that our tag system is still working to plan. Glad you found a place to hunt every year. Enjoy.

It’s not a crappy zone Fletch.
Proving that even our really crappy zones are better than what most states have to offer. Good to know that our tag system is still working to plan. Glad you found a place to hunt every year. Enjoy.

It’s a zone well known for numbers of deer, and big bucks. Since you are never on here, except once a year. You wouldn’t know. Try (3) posts a year, maybe a dozen ... congratulate a fellow member (just once)...One time random posts suck!

Last edited:
It’s not a crappy zone Fletch.

It’s a zone well known for numbers of deer, and big bucks. Since you are never on here, except once a year. You wouldn’t know. Try (3) posts a year, maybe a dozen ... congratulate a fellow member (just once)...One time random posts suck!
The only thing worse than one time random posts are those by NRLO wanting to change the regs every year. You get a tag every year so why the want for change? To split your parcel into multiple so your kids can all get a tag? And if you think NRLO getting tags is gonna make the hunting better then it's time to lay off the sauce from celebrating your successful season. You said land access might get tougher, but public would have less pressure. I think access would get much, much tougher, and pressure on public would skyrocket because land would get bought up by non residents forcing many to either hunt public or throw in the towel. We need hunter numbers so I dont like those options.

The only thing worse than one time random posts are those by NRLO wanting to change the regs every year. You get a tag every year so why the want for change? To split your parcel into multiple so your kids can all get a tag? And if you think NRLO getting tags is gonna make the hunting better then it's time to lay off the sauce from celebrating your successful season. You said land access might get tougher, but public would have less pressure. I think access would get much, much tougher, and pressure on public would skyrocket because land would get bought up by non residents forcing many to either hunt public or throw in the towel. We need hunter numbers so I dont like those options.

He knows this all very well, but it does not fit his agenda. It becomes very frustrating for him and the very few others that still beat the drum.

We all know that pressure on public ground is growing from residents that have been displaced by land that is now behind locked gates. Much of it is owned by NR's. The number of acres behind locked gates would double or triple if they got concessions on tags. You cant argue these facts and you cant argue with stubborn. So, we end up proving the same points over and over and the dialogue stays the same from the opposition. Fortunately, for the most part, NR's figured out a few years ago that what they thought was going to be an easy fix, became a losing battle. There are not may of them still pushing back because there was a ton of money thrown at this issue and they got nothing for it. But, we still need to stay vigilant and keep our voices heard by the folks that hold the cards. Continue to let your reps know how important of an issue this is to our youth that want to hunt and to our youth that want to farm. Your conversations do make a difference.

I would rather be told I suck because I am standing up for a tradition and a resource that I feel strongly about than be known to suck because I whine about wanting to change things for my own benefit.

Oh, and Hardwood, big congrats on killing a deer. That's super special man. Way to go. Rah Rah and all that good stuff to you! ( There is your once )

He knows this all very well, but it does not fit his agenda. It becomes very frustrating for him and the very few others that still beat the drum.

We all know that pressure on public ground is growing from residents that have been displaced by land that is now behind locked gates. Much of it is owned by NR's. The number of acres behind locked gates would double or triple if they got concessions on tags. You cant argue these facts and you cant argue with stubborn. So, we end up proving the same points over and over and the dialogue stays the same from the opposition. Fortunately, for the most part, NR's figured out a few years ago that what they thought was going to be an easy fix, became a losing battle. There are not may of them still pushing back because there was a ton of money thrown at this issue and they got nothing for it. But, we still need to stay vigilant and keep our voices heard by the folks that hold the cards. Continue to let your reps know how important of an issue this is to our youth that want to hunt and to our youth that want to farm. Your conversations do make a difference.

I would rather be told I suck because I am standing up for a tradition and a resource that I feel strongly about than be known to suck because I whine about wanting to change things for my own benefit.

Oh, and Hardwood, big congrats on killing a deer. That's super special man. Way to go. Rah Rah and all that good stuff to you! ( There is your once )

Keep posting!! Your count is up, now don’t disappear like every other year!!

Make sure you stay active! Use Wi-fi f you travel abroad. Stay updated.

I would hate to see the NR tag allocation go to NRLOs first. That just makes it more of a ‘richer’ mans game. And would limit the NR friends we entertain yearly at the farm I hunt on.

Francis, don't overlook the "little" spots. Hidden gems, oft ignored because everyone gets a hard on for the big pieces. I would scout for any buck sign while shed hunting and not worry much if you don't see deer or find antlers. I am a resident with access to some good private land, and still choose to hunt public a fair amount.

As for the debate portion of the thread, I would offer a slightly different perspective. Yes, we residents need to protect the resource and should continue to fight diligently against changes that would negatively affect herd quality and/or access. I would take that a step further yet and mention that negative trends in the 2 categories listed above has and will continue to produce negative effects to hunter recruitment, thus license sales, thus management and land acquisition funding. Say what you will but we hunters are the funding source and we need more hunters and hunting, not less. Period.

We have already seen what negative trends in bird populations has done. Now we have some birds again and few people hunting them. I believe hunter recruitment and access, to an extent, are mostly to blame for that. What has that cost us in funding for the resource? I suspect a lot, collectively.

I am more than happy to help out any NR that has waited in line for their turn. I have many, many times, and will unapologetically continue to do so. Especially a guy that is willing to work hard and spend their money on a few different trips over. I know I have been offered some awesome perspective on out of state hunts I have looked into and suspect that one of these days, somebody else's helping hand might lead me to a having a higher quality hunt than I may have otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well glad to see I was able make an entertaining post for some people as the season winds down. lol..

I've got 6 places I mapped out for the next trip, going to start studying the maps and make a plan. Thanks again to everyone that reached out on here or PM's. I can understand some residents resentment towards a NR asking questions. I don't even have access to private land in my own state from NR's paying way more than I could afford for leases, not to mention with white tail properties and everyone the prices are getting insane. I wish we had some sort of tag system for NR, just to split them up some. ;) This fall on a drive around the one state park counted over 15 NR trucks, and not one resident truck lol. That's just for bow in non so well known area.

Another thing I noticed, seemed like the Amish population up north is growing? Ran into a few on my last trip out. ( I live in one of the biggest amish settlements in the world)

Great verbiage Lol. This entire site exacerbates the anti NR sentiment. Whether it’s landowner or hunter. Onecam was a smart dude and pulled the parachute. This place won’t recover for many reasons, been here since 2003, and very few of the originals remain. Maybe none. Instead of embracing NRLOs and working with them you all continue to bury them, they’re not going away. Figure a way to work together.
Could it be you are the one who needs to embrace the residents of this fine state and accept the laws as they are? You'd think after being a landowner for as long as you say; you would have adjusted by now!

I can understand some residents resentment towards a NR asking questions. I don't even have access to private land in my own state from NR's paying way more than I could afford for leases, not to mention with white tail properties and everyone the prices are getting insane. I wish we had some sort of tag system for NR, just to split them up some. ;) This fall on a drive around the one state park counted over 15 NR trucks, and not one resident truck lol

I think this pretty much sums it up. What many fight so hard to not have happen here.

Francis good luck on your trips hope your work pays off.

Well with your guys lottery system seem to be doing okay. We have cheap over the counter NR tags, so we get everyone from the east coast. First state with some good bucks, cheap, closer no point for them to keep on driving. Also like to see how many different states I can harvest a deer in and the memories the trips make.

Point well taken. 3 buck tags for a resident while we can’t take more than one doe per year. We own land that needs managed.F the buck tags how about doe management ability Thanks for making my point

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Jdubs
Show…
I love Tapatalk. It shows deleted posts. . Not all resident landowners shoot 3 bucks a year. Some don’t even shoot does. When I needed does shot, lots of friends “stepped up”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point well taken. 3 buck tags for a resident while we can’t take more than one doe per year. We own land that needs managed.F the buck tags how about doe management ability Thanks for making my point
Jdubs you bought land in Iowa knowing the laws and regs. stop acting like a spoiled brat. You bought land in IOWA because the same DAMN reason you can't get as many tags as you want. Move to Iowa then. You're literally complaining about a tag system that is proven to be successful and also this tag system is WHY YOU BOUGHT LAND IN IOWA. If you can't see that then you are the problem my friend. Anyways I wish you all the success in your future hunts in Iowa.

You’re right. When I bought a NRLO could buy an archery doe tag every year; which you guys craftily named temptation tags and they were taken away. So a rule in place when I purchased was changed that you liked and that of course is ok. Completely hypocritical. Whatever.

You’re right. When I bought a NRLO could buy an archery doe tag every year; which you guys craftily named temptation tags and they were taken away. So a rule in place when I purchased was changed that you liked and that of course is ok. Completely hypocritical. Whatever.
Why dont you just sell? You have used up alot of time and energy only to call us residents dishonest. There has been so many great points as to why the system is the way it is as well as how well it works. Not everyone on IW is a land owner. The decisions made on NR tags greatly effect not only my hunting but also alot of friends and family. At the end of the day I believe 99% of all NRLO in Iowa understand why we have the quotas as well as laws we do, if they didn't I'm sure they wouldn't have invested here.

Top Bottom