Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land pressure

You’re right. When I bought a NRLO could buy an archery doe tag every year; which you guys craftily named temptation tags and they were taken away. So a rule in place when I purchased was changed that you liked and that of course is ok. Completely hypocritical. Whatever.
When you wake up in the morning do you just look in the mirror and think about you and only you? I'm assuming from your comments you do. Look at the harvest numbers from this year to past years. Yes, we change laws and regs depending on our deer herd. That's how we stay IOWA. when we change a law or reg we aren't thinking about how Jdubs feels. We are making that decision based off our deer herd and how we can protect it.

Oh. Ok. One NRLO archery tag made the difference. Lol. If that’s the case I’d expect the dnr to reallocate NRLO doe tags in estimated heavy population years. Right? It’s never happened because it was a NRLO issue voiced by the iba years ago. Residents asserted with a doe tag in hand we would be tempted to shoot one of their bucks. Keep in mind the tag was only good on property owned. I really appreciated everyone looking out for me and my property. How ridiculous. Had nothing to do with deer populations .

Last edited:
Oh. Ok. One NRLO archery tag made the difference. Lol. If that’s the case I’d expect the dnr to reallocate NRLO doe tags in estimated heavy population years. Right? It’s never happened because it was a NRLO issue voiced by the iba years ago. Residents asserted with a doe tag in hand we would be tempted to shoot one of their bucks. Keep in mind the tag was only good on property owned. I really appreciated everyone looking out for me and my property. How ridiculous. Had nothing to do with deer populations .
If you are having a hard time controlling your doe population; you can allow residents to hunt it for you. And not just the neighbors who you party hunt with. That's what farmers in my county do.

Plenty of deer out there for NRLO’s to be able to purchase a (1) tag every year, reduce the anterless tags available if you’re that worried about reducing numbers due to the NRLO. Could also dramatically increase the price of the tag specifically for NRLO to help offset the cost of operation (natural resources, DNR etc) if you will from the resident taxpayer. Personally do not own any ground and have been perfectly satisfied asking for permission from those that do and grateful for the opportunity, also utilize public ground. If you can afford it great, buy it and enjoy what’s temporarily yours till our time is up. Good grief quit coveting everything, give a kid, young guy, father son, whatever an opportunity to hunt your ground once in a while, RLO’s and NRLO’s alike. Bet you’d get as much satisfaction when they become successful or even teaching them how to be successful as you would killing the deer yourself. I just wonder if there’d be less NRLO’s if you guys would be more open to allowing others to hunt your ground. Doesn’t have to be all season, every season, any means. Put stipulations in, you break one you’re out. NRLO’s could band together with the insurance lobbyists I guess and put more pressure on the herd...

NRLO issue voiced by the iba years ago. I really appreciated everyone looking out for me and my property.

You are welcome. And I appreciate how many members you have gained us over the years. Too bad you don't get a % of membership dues for every new member or renewal you get us.

It was the unscrupulous NRLOs who screwed you not the IBA but thanks for the shout out anyway.

Talk about a disingenuous comment . Based on IBA membership and traffic on this site you need to do some membership work yourself. No. It was the IBA and your anti NRLO agenda. Period. I’ve seen way more unscrupulous resident issues btw. Be careful there.
I also noticed the IBA hired a lobbyist to fight Mr Jensen. Who’s paying that bill, membership dues???? Lol

Biggest issues in my neighborhood:

Farmer armed with a bulldozer,
Farmer armed with a rifle in said truck or combine for coyote control, right!?
Amish.

NRLOs are the least of your worries

Last edited:
No violence. Just facts about NRs and NRLOs that folks like you continually spew about the detriment of Iowa hunting when in fact we contribute to it. I’ll gladly speak to anyone here about that. When I was new here many years ago I couldn’t intelligently speak about this issue, however, now I can. 18 years later you’ve read my opinion and will gladly debate anyone. I’m in zone 5 btw. The mosy

It took me two minutes to come up with a list of over 5,000 acres that used to be open to friends and family of mine to deer hunting and is now owned by NR's that locked it up and threw away the key. They do nothing to manage the deer population because one or two guys can not do it, and they will not allow anyone else to hunt there for fear of losing one of "their" bucks. You want a doe tag because you own land?.....too bad. We went down that road and the NR's that had only a doe tag in their pocket would show up the first week of November to hunt the rut for their "doe". Many of them seemed to really struggle with being able to identify the sex of their intended target. The CO's were the driving force for removing that fiasco at the support of all the residents that saw the abuse first hand. It was an enforcement nightmare and frequently abused. That is why some of the neighbors take care of the population problem any way they can. It's the only way they can grow crops and none of us begrudge them of doing what they have to do to make a living for their families. But, you can bet that they don't care what sex the deer is. lol

Just think, over 5000 acres in one area changed hands to NRLO's that knew they were limited on how often they could hunt the rut, and yet they still bought the ground. To those of you that think giving concessions to NRLO's would not drastically change the game, you are either delusional, or simply not up to speed on the topic. It would absolutely open the flood gates on recreational land and even marginal pasture land that is desperately needed in the Southern tiers of the state to sustain family farm operations. Any realtor that is being honest will tell you the same. I personally know at least three guys that would buy ground here tomorrow if they were guaranteed tags. Who could blame them?

For the NRLOs that feel our system is unfair, I say sell out and move on. Your incessant whining is still not going to change the fact that we are going to look out for residents first and foremost. If I were you, I would sell your land and do a 1031 exchange for ground in a state that suits your needs. I hear Kansas is nice, or maybe Missouri. You can hunt your own ground every year and have nothing to complain about. I think that some of you were very surprised to find that a bunch of rubes in a flyover state could stay one step ahead of you.

Oh Jdubs, you kill me. The IBA has had a lobbyist for around 50 years. Mr. Jensen is just the latest in a flurry of folks who can't accept the fact they can't have what they want.

It would be interesting to do a study to see on a ratio how many residents get tickets every year vs nonresidents. Lots of variables there, NRs with legit tags vs NR with out legit tags etc etc.

Biggest issue for local hunter access: unrestricted NRLO tags.

Oh and thanks for the, I'm sure, well intentioned advice to be careful.

For the NRLOs that feel our system is unfair, I say sell out and move on. Your incessant whining is still not going to change the fact that we are going to look out for residents first and foremost. If I were you, I would sell your land and do a 1031 exchange for ground in a state that suits your needs.

Or maybe they could try putting half their efforts and resources into changing their own states regs to match Iowas and improve the hunting in their own backyard instead of trying to diminish and take away from those that already have it by changing our regs.

Bash farmers and the IBA all in one post. Thats smart.lol

FYI the IBA did not just hire a lobbyist. Its had a lobbyist forever. As well as the ICA, the Iowa Coonhunters Association, and many others.

Biggest issue in my neighborhood

NR who don't allow hunting and creating over population that demolish their income by the tens of thousands. the same farmers that live here, raise a family here, pay taxes here, spend there income here, allow others to hunt and enjoy their land, and the list goes on. But that right that one doe tag was taken away from the NR that would of made all the difference by the hated IBA. If you think the IBA is against NR you need to get a clue.

Farmers with a rifle for coyotes...good lord you're grasping for anything here aren't you.

Amish...at least we can agree on something. lol

I asked how you’re paying for the lobbyist. Not whether you had one. I know you’ve had one. Do dues pay for him or someone with deep pockets?

Be careful??? Lol. Again, like you do you mischaracterize. You know I meant be careful talking about unscrupulous hunters when residents are as bad. That’s how you roll making my point every time.

Hawk, not bashing. It’s the truth. Two of my neighbors are farmers. They shoot year around, like many. I guess Nobody else hears rifle shots the last hour of daylight. Lol.

As the Amish buy more and more property in Iowa maybe some of you can acquire permission from them? I’m sure they’re happy to forgo one of the 20 deer they shoot a year. 19 or 20. Who’s counting

Last edited:
Fletch—non residents own land in many states. It’s a fact of life. Best way to not worry about that is buy your own land ...Let’s hope you are not hunting or fishing other states and then pouncing on NR here (which is all you do—never once posting anything else) that would be hypocritical.

Fletch—non residents own land in many states. It’s a fact of life. Best way to not worry about that is buy your own land ...Let’s hope you are not hunting or fishing other states and then pouncing on NR here (which is all you do—never once posting anything else) that would be hypocritical.

I just bought another piece recently thanks. For about 15 years I have bought and sold rec farms. I have my own places to hunt forever. And even then, I stand up for what is right for the residents that don't have the ability to own their own land for recreation because its the right thing to do. I know that escapes you because there is really nothing in it for me. In fact, my ground would increase in value if NR's were given tag concessions. Nonresidents own land here also and I am fine with that. But, only if you don't buy land and then try to change the rules to better suit your ideals. That my friend is just selfish and hollow.

I have hunted in many, many states and other countries. That does not mean that I travel there and lobby to change how they manage their wildlife. I don't expect to be treated differently because I can afford to do something that not everyone else can. I am content to go there and play by their rules. Your argument there is senseless. You are more than welcome to own land here. That is your right. Buy all you want and enjoy whatever opportunities our state allows you. But, don't plan on us changing anything to suit your whims. That horse died.

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Done
Show…
I just bought another piece recently thanks. For about 15 years I have bought and sold rec farms. I have my own places to hunt forever. And even then, I stand up for what is right for the residents that don't have the ability to own their own land for recreation because its the right thing to do. I know that escapes you because there is really nothing in it for me. In fact, my ground would increase in value if NR's were given tag concessions. Nonresidents own land here also and I am fine with that. But, only if you don't buy land and then try to change the rules to better suit your ideals. That my friend is just selfish and hollow.

I have hunted in many, many states and other countries. That does not mean that I travel there and lobby to change how they manage their wildlife. I don't expect to be treated differently because I can afford to do something that not everyone else can. I am content to go there and play by their rules. Your argument there is senseless. You are more than welcome to own land here. That is your right. Buy all you want and enjoy whatever opportunities our state allows you. But, don't plan on us changing anything to suit your whims. That horse died.

When you hear the term “always helping others” you come to mind! Your posts on CRP, land management and other hunting tips really spark this site !!!

Now to find out you bought land and it’s open to public hunting ... that’s a big plus for locals in your area. Congrats to you.

When you hear the term “always helping others” you come to mind! Your posts on CRP, land management and other hunting tips really spark this site !!!

Now to find out you bought land and it’s open to public hunting ... that’s a big plus for locals in your area. Congrats to you.

Like the time I sent you a PM with information on guys that were looking for land when you had a farm for sale. You mean like that, right? I hope that helped you out. You are so welcome. It seems I'm always helping others in some fashion, Kurt. But, my focus is definitely on residents. lol

But I think of you more when I hear things like, " I want...….", and "It's not fair...", and "What's in it for me!"

As far as my land goes, I would bet a lot of money that I have let a lot more resident AND nonresident hunters on my properties than the majority of NRLO's will ever compare to. Not nearly as selfish as you wish I was because that does not play well into your fairytale, but its the truth.

Happy gun hunting! I prefer the bow myself. You just can't top the hunting we have during the rut, it's magic.

Top Bottom