Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD found in more 4 more Iowa counties

Rjack

Chronic wasting disease has been confirmed in wild deer from Woodbury, Winneshiek, Fayette and Decatur counties this year, bringing the total number of counties in Iowa where wild deer have tested positive to eight.

“We will schedule meetings in these areas in the next few months to discuss chronic wasting disease, our response and the role hunters play in helping us to manage for this disease,” said Tyler Harms, wildlife biologist with the Iowa DNR.

In the past, the DNR has set up a surveillance zone around where the positive deer was taken, then works with hunters to increase the number of samples collected within the zone to get a better idea of the extent to which the disease is on the ground.

“Early detection is key,” Harms said. “We want to increase the surveillance in close proximity to the positive deer to hopefully catch any other positives in the area. In these surveillance zones, we want to manage our deer herd toward the lower end of our population goal to help slow disease transmission.”

The Iowa DNR submitted nearly 7,000 deer tissue samples for testing from hunter harvested or road killed deer collected statewide in the 2019-2020 season that resulted in 43 positive wild deer.

“While the number of positives this year jumps out, it’s not out of the realm of what we would expect,” Harms said.

The Iowa DNR contacted all hunters with a positive deer and offered the opportunity to come collect the deer meat, hide and other animal parts or were provided other options for carcass disposal. The Centers for Disease Control advises against consuming animals that have tested positive for disease.

Hunters play an important role in preventing the spread of this disease by not using feed or salt-mineral licks that increase the concentration of deer, which can spread disease.

Hunters who harvest a deer in a county known to have chronic wasting disease but who live in a county where the disease has not been found, should bone out their deer and either leave the carcass on the land where it was harvested or disposed of within that county. Contact the local landfill for requirements. Make absolutely sure not to transport and dump carcasses outside of the area where the deer were shot as this will spread the disease to new areas.

The Iowa DNR samples deer from every county with increased sample quotas set in areas where the disease has been confirmed or where it has been confirmed across the border in neighboring states.

The Iowa DNR has been testing deer for chronic wasting disease since 2002. The first positive was in 2013 near Harpers Ferry in Allamakee County. To date, there have been 89 positive wild deer. More information is available online at www.iowadnr.gov/cwd.

Media Contact: Tyler Harms, Wildlife Biologist, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, 515-777-5378.

All NRLO owned land. Not enough deer being harvested. Turning into sanctuaries. Not good.

Did Woodbury have any counties near it that have had positive results before? Ive said it before that I believe if they tested every deer it would be in all 99 counties.

All NRLO land. All 99 counties. It’s pandemic. We need the ability to shoot more deer at reasonable rates.

Killing a ton of deer is worthless. Not working in Minnesota. Plenty or resident landowners not killing enough deer also but its not the solution by itself. Plenty of mineral,corn piles, hay bales and protien feeders making things worse. Always passing the buck making excuses about how it doesnt hurt. Cant hurt to quite that stuff either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did you read it the first time. I’ll shoot my does. And I should be able to. How would you or any other hunter know what my land needs. Maybe I’ll give you a briefing before you manage the land I pay for. Lol. Whatever.

Furthermore, sell? You kidding. Your attitude and others like it drive up demand. The more you make everyone think Iowa is the deal the more the price increases. My kids will have a nice inheritance. Thanks.

Last edited:
I wonder what made them test it?

All of the counties on the west coast of Iowa have a heightened testing program because deer swim. It was found in Nebraska a few years ago. Same for the east coast. The positive from last year in Dubuque county was road kill as well.

Did you read it the first time. I’ll shoot my does. And I should be able to. How would you or any other hunter know what my land needs. Maybe I’ll give you a briefing before you manage the land I pay for. Lol. Whatever.

Furthermore, sell? You kidding. Your attitude and others like it drive up demand. The more you make everyone think Iowa is the deal the more the price increases. My kids will have a nice inheritance. Thanks.
Couple honest questions here. When you bought land in Iowa when was it and how was the deer population? What was the anysex tag situation like at that time? I honestly have no clue what it used to be like but imagine it hasn't changed much.

Yeah we read it the first time you posted it. Want to get your does shot? Sign up for IHAP. Otherwise sell your land and buy in a different state

He dangled the worm and you took it like a starved carp. Ignore it and it will go away. If it doesn't go away don't let it bother you. Think of it as a Mogwai, keep it away from bright like, never get it wet and never feed it.

He dangled the worm and you took it like a starved carp. Ignore it and it will go away. If it doesn't go away don't let it bother you. Think of it as a Mogwai, keep it away from bright like, never get it wet and never feed it.

There is always the ignore button as well. Just click on the user name and hit ignore.

“We will schedule meetings in these areas in the next few months to discuss chronic wasting disease, our response and the role hunters play in helping us to manage for this disease,” said Tyler Harms, wildlife biologist with the Iowa DNR.

Get ready for all kinds of policy changes and endless speculation. Then 10 years will go by, millions will be spent on it and CWD will still be found but nobody will care anymore.

Top Bottom