Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

Slick, so what. He’s one man who began an incredible business. So the Iowa legislature is at the beckoned call of one guy?? Highly doubt it. More to it as Hardwood stated.

Last edited:
I would like to see the source for NRLOs at 20 to 50% in a county in relation to rec ground.

Have you ever gone in the GIS for the county you live in and clicked around on parcels? I know by my little piece it is loaded with NRLO and some are very large holders 3000 acres or more.

Yes I have and I’m it for miles. I stated this fact in another thread. I don’t know another one near me. The only large land holders I know near me are residents who allow no hunting. This is traveled ground.

This morning I emailed Dr Wendong Zhang, the Director of Iowa State University’s semi-annual farmland value survey, and asked for rec ground nrlo stats. His response:

I look forward to his report each year and have corresponded with him in the past. Keep in mind that he is from China and what he learns goes right back there.
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/28/7286...ese-students-and-scholars-in-the-u-s:rolleyes:

Biography
Dr. Wendong Zhang is an assistant professor in the Department of Economics at Iowa State University since August 2015. His research seeks to better understand U.S. farmland market, agricultural nutrient runoff, conservation practice adoption, and Chinese agriculture. Dr. Zhang is also affiliated with Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD).

Dr. Zhang is the leading researcher of the Iowa Land Value Survey, the Iowa Farmland Ownership and Tenure Survey, as well as the ISU Soil Management and Land Valuation Conference. He also led the development of the new, interactive Iowa Farmland Portal as well as co-founded the new ISU China Ag center jointly with Dr. Dermot Hayes in collaboration with Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences.

Dr. Zhang received his Ph.D. in Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics from the Ohio State University in July 2015, and he also hold a BSc in Environmental Science from Fudan University in China.

Below are a list of Dr. Zhang other academic profiles:

Yes I have and I’m it for miles. I stated this fact in another thread. I don’t know another one near me. The only large land holders I know near me are residents who allow no hunting. This is traveled ground.

I don’t know where your farm is at and on what side of the state and I will believe you because I don’t live there. but I have a hard time wrapping my head around this fact . This is certainly not the case in most of of south central and south east Iowa sections known for deer hunting.

Minnesota has unlimited tags and sharpshooters over corn piles in the target CWD areas.

We did all that 10 years ago here in WI......Didn't work still many positive are found. Now nobody even talks about it now. Surprised that MN does not look at what we did and how none of it worked and try a different approach.

Slick, what’s your point with Dr. Zhang exactly? Foreign investment issues I assume?? Maybe after you address NRLOs you can switch gears and contact Iowa State University and voice your displeasure.

Last edited:
It’s easy to blame NRLOs and money, however not all nrlos have deep pockets, and now to assert your own politicians are for sale is interesting.

Maybe, just maybe there are legitimate conservation issues on NRLO land that have been ignored for years that do need addressed that they do recognize, or have been highlighted by non hunting constituents of their districts, like my resident neighbors, who do not agree with certain regs. Only about 7.5% of Iowans held a hunting license last year. Idk. Pressure can be applied from many areas.

As I stated in another thread, interpretation of a post is based on the reader's frame of reference. If your frame of reference is that politicians are taking money then that's on you.

And to your second point, NRLOs caused the conservation issue and now you want to be the cure? Sounds like big pharma to me. Create a problem or disease when one doesn't exist and them come up with the resolution or cure for it. Smart like a fox I tell ya.

From the deep pockets angle, there are currently 20 or so conservation tags available to NRs. I believe the average price per tag is around $10,000. $5,000 to the conservation group and $5,000 to the DNR. It would be interesting to see how many of the tag purchasers are NRLO's.

Along those same lines, if NRLOs are successful in their quest to change our laws to suit their purpose several conservation groups and the DNR could lose substantial revenue.

As I stated in another thread, interpretation of a post is based on the reader's frame of reference. If your frame of reference is that politicians are taking money then that's on you.

And to your second point, NRLOs caused the conservation issue and now you want to be the cure? Sounds like big pharma to me. Create a problem or disease when one doesn't exist and them come up with the resolution or cure for it. Smart like a fox I tell ya.

I don’t follow you ... explain the conservation problem NR created?

From the deep pockets angle, there are currently 20 or so conservation tags available to NRs. I believe the average price per tag is around $10,000. $5,000 to the conservation group and $5,000 to the DNR. It would be interesting to see how many of the tag purchasers are NRLO's.

Along those same lines, if NRLOs are successful in their quest to change our laws to suit their purpose several conservation groups and the DNR could lose substantial revenue.
I'd bet 99% are purchased by NR most probably being NRLO. The people buying them are people who have money and are willing to pay to jump to the front of the line.

Obviously this is a non issue for residents.

... i would guess it's in reference to NRLO having large tracks that are deer sanctuaries.

Most farms have a sanctuary... all mine do. My Resident neighbors do...I’m sure Skip does, the key is to harvest some or a lot deer/does (depending on size of farm)so the population does not get out of hand and lead to Excessive crop damage, herd health issues EHD, etc...

I’d back the 100 more conservation tags! It would raise a lot of money for conservation, not put any more fuel on NR land rush, and with a 100 more the price might come down to a more affordable level

Why ask me Bonker. You’re the authority here saying we created it. Have at it.

Seems like you were the one to say "maybe there are legitimate conservation issues on NRLO land that have been ignored for years that do need addressed". See a few posts back if you forgot.

Can't believe how many times you make a statement and then act like you didn't. Or, refuse to answer questions about the statements you make.

I thinks it’s obvious. Hardwood also made the argument. We have property we can’t manage that promotes habitat and disease issues. Not very difficult.

If I don’t draw I can shoot one doe? Doesn’t cut it. No, I’m not having residents manage the land I pay for.

If Iowa doesn’t want this problem under the current nrlo regs prohibit non resident land ownership. The IBA can hire a lobbyist and propose the legislation. The IBA has a hired gun, like Mr Jensen. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe there are legitimate conservation issues on NRLO land that have been ignored for years that do need addressed that they do recognize, or have been highlighted by non hunting constituents of their districts, like my resident neighbors, who do not agree with certain regs. Only about 7.5% of Iowans held a hunting license last year. Idk. Pressure can be applied from many areas.

So maybe you'd like to expound on the conservation issues created by nonresident land ownership. I wouldn't want to put words in your mouth.

Top Bottom