Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

CHECK THIS OUT- appears to me that ONE GUY is behind most of these bills. The way I see it on the public legislative info for who is hiring lobbyists. ONE GUY - wants to throw $ at this in big ways to buy his way to transforming the state for his interest. JIM JENSEN- look at how many lobbyists he’s hiring & paying. Do I have this right? WOW. Messed up. This guy could just buy a charity auction tag every year. Instead- he wants his interest to outweigh anything else. $$$$$ + politics, lovely !!!

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/lobbyist/reports/declarations?ga=88&ba=SSB3129

850eda98fc28286cda09cfa71ab572fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He owns SatcomDirect and his farms are in Monroe county. Net worth is like 87 million. People with that kind of money don’t like being told no and they can buy whatever they want such as our legislators. He lives in Florida for tax reasons of course.

He owns SatcomDirect and his farms are in Monroe county. Net worth is like 87 million. People with that kind of money don’t like being told no and they can buy whatever they want such as our legislators. He lives in Florida for tax reasons of course.
Anyone know how many acres? This is an easy scheme to make $.... buy a thousand acres.... pay lobbyists big $.... NR Bill gets passed, sit on it for 2 years, split land up into 80’s and make $2-3k/acre as demand blows through the roof from NR’s buying it all up. Really though- this guy is throwing $ at something just so he can get his way. Spoiled & greedy. The guy could buy an auction charity tag and hunt here every year!! Anyone not writing in with some common sense to push back on this insanity needs to take a few mins to write in. Insanity needs to stop!!

Agree on above. I have ONE farm that had major overpopulation this last season (long story- perfect storm)... I see many other areas with low to medium populations. Exactly though- way less deer, on average, than 10 years ago. Great point. & irrelevant of management - feel bad for folks in lucas, warren, Monroe, Madison that really got devastated with ehd.

side note- I know this topic runs high passions & feelings. Myself included- let’s maybe drop it down a couple notches so we’re still having great debate & hardcore but without getting too bad on mud slinging. I get it. We all do - just drop down a tiny notch. If u got solid points to be made (like one above or on any side) - make the case. Love the debate.

Hey sligh just so you know talked to 3 different DNR this fall and they all thought northern Clarke got hit the worst but since most people in the county don't report the deer they didn't get much acknowledgement. I don't care but just passing the word. I have a farm in the ne Clarke and it was bad. Lost all of my up and coming bucks. The one DNR I talked to thought our area lost 75% and I'd say he's in the ball park.

What I don't understand is the for-undecided-for.

His lobbyists are from the same group. He hired the law firm of Nyemaster Goode PC. They tout themselves as the largest legal firm in Iowa.

Anyone know how many acres? This is an easy scheme to make $.... buy a thousand acres.... pay lobbyists big $.... NR Bill gets passed, sit on it for 2 years, split land up into 80’s and make $2-3k/acre as demand blows through the roof from NR’s buying it all up. Really though- this guy is throwing $ at something just so he can get his way. Spoiled & greedy. The guy could buy an auction charity tag and hunt here every year!! Anyone not writing in with some common sense to push back on this insanity needs to take a few mins to write in. Insanity needs to stop!!
Pretty sure he owns around 700 acres, Whitetail Properties had his farm for sale a few years back, shame someone didn’t buy it, wouldn’t be dealing with him now.

• Deleted by chipterp
  • Reason: Wrong info
Show…
Pretty sure he owns around 700 acres, Whitetail Properties had his farm for sale a few years back, shame someone didn’t buy it, wouldn’t be dealing with him now.

He was probably looking to increase acres....2000 acre block?

Heard at the time he was sick of the Iowa draw and selling off his land to buy a big ranch out west somewhere, have no idea if that was the truth tho.

Possible. He can get a huge ranch and hunt elk, deer, or whatever every year with that kind of $$$

Question for u “out west guys”. Let’s say there’s certain elk states that are sought after and hard to draw in. Or units. Maybe it’s NM, AZ, etc etc....
Is there NR’s actively trying to change the laws out there to benefit them? Hiring lobbyists, etc? I honestly don’t know the answer to this question as I don’t hunt out west. But I sure know the draw is “very hard” in lots of forms for many NR’s. Iowa has been a target every few years over the last 20 I’ve watched it. Do these out west states face similar pressures?

Question for u “out west guys”. Let’s say there’s certain elk states that are sought after and hard to draw in. Or units. Maybe it’s NM, AZ, etc etc....
Is there NR’s actively trying to change the laws out there to benefit them? Hiring lobbyists, etc? I honestly don’t know the answer to this question as I don’t hunt out west. But I sure know the draw is “very hard” in lots of forms for many NR’s. Iowa has been a target every few years over the last 20 I’ve watched it. Do these out west states face similar pressures?[/QUOTE

I suspect that the pressure is more in the form of selling off public lands or limiting them. With the amount of public land the hunting access is very different. Controlling the resources looks very different out west as compared to Iowa. Can own 100 to 200 acres and have a reasonable shot at a trophy animal in iowa. Where out west that amount of land may not get you much in terms of how animals move across large ranges. Yes easier access to tags would increase hunters but it wouldn't fundamentally change land ownership since so much is public as it would in iowa. Of course there are always exceptions, and large ranches but the entry price on those is significantly more than a chunk of ground here. I say all this having not actually hunting out west, but planning to soon. What scares me is how many conservatives (now part of Republicans platform) are willing to sell off our resources both here and out west to the highest bidder....
I suspect that the pressure is more in the form of selling off public lands or limiting them. With the amount of public land the hunting access is very different. Controlling the resources looks very different out west as compared to Iowa. Can own 100 to 200 acres and have a reasonable shot at a trophy animal in iowa. Where out west that amount of land may not get you much in terms of how animals move across large ranges. Yes easier access to tags would increase hunters but it wouldn't fundamentally change land ownership since so much is public as it would in iowa. Of course there are always exceptions, and large ranches but the entry price on those is significantly more than a chunk of ground here. I say all this having not actually hunting out west, but planning to soon. What scares me is how many conservatives (now part of Republicans platform) are willing to sell off our resources both here and out west to the highest bidder....

Boyd is spot on - deer populations are not anywhere close on a statewide basis to 10 yrs ago...I hunt two different regions of the state on a regular basis and neither region is close to 2007-2009 levels. The recent EHD region where my farm is located took a very hard hit this fall. My permission areas of Central IA (100 miles north) are also definitely down from 10 years ago. DNR harvest numbers show these trends. I am sure certain pockets of the state may be high but legislators commenting about statewide over-population are just reading a script given to them by some group motivated to decimate the deer herd.
The funny thing is. They think by allowing more NR to hunt will help lower the deer population? Laughable, these people are not here to shoot does. I am in that category and will gladly wait 2-4 years to draw a tag. There is zero reason to increase the amount of NR tags.

Hey everyone, I have been reading this over and here are my thoughts on the matter. I am a NRLO in Iowa and have close to 1250 acres. Throughout the years I have invested hundreds of thousands in the community, and help the local farmers and neighbors as if I wasn't a NR. That being said, why is it such an outrage to want 1-2 buck tags a year to hunt my land? I'm not going to split it up for a money grab, as some people are stating. Iowa is a great state and I enjoy all the time spent in the field with friends and family making memories. It's a shame that this is even a discussion, but this bill provides a little hope.

As for Governor's tags, I have gotten one before and you cannot get one every year. It needs to be approved, and many of these tags are also given to people that can promote Iowa hunting, increasing the amount of money given to the state of Iowa. For NRs applying for tags all year (Bow, Gun, Turkey), the cost can reach over $500 or more. Many of my NR friends that apply for Iowa tags, do NOT want a tag every year and agree with following the process and waiting to be awarded in the draw. All I want is to be able to deer hunt my land each year. Iowa residents can receive multiple buck tags for each season each year, so 1-2 a year for a NRLO is far less.

A little information on deer populations and waste I have seen first hand by residents as well. Some of my property borders public land, and each year during gun season, there are dozens of people that line up and drive the public land. I have seen them come back with everything from button bucks, to basket 6's, as well as a few Iowa giants. Typically I'll walk my property after some of these and find multiple deer dead in the woods that have suffered and are wasted. I live in NJ and as in Iowa, drives are a part of the culture, but that does not make them right. Perhaps this should be discussed more and teach the younger generation there are other ways to hunt and be successful.

In the end, it isn't up to any of us on this forum to decide the law or pass this bill. Most of the chatter on this site has been healthy banter, but I truly hope it does go through. Wanting to spend additional time in the woods on my property hunting has been my wish for years, and this bill may be my chance. Have a good evening everyone and happy hunting. Turkey season is right around the corner, but I may not get a tag in that draw either.

It should be up to the residents who live here if this passes or not. It shouldnt be up to some politicians who recieve special interest money. If you take the pool of land buyers with deep pockets and expand that to the entire country you dont think that changes things? You dont think it will effect access for those of us that live here? Iowa is the way it is for a reason. Illinois has gone way down hill for a reason, Kansas isnt what it was for a reason. I dont have 1 shred of sympathy for the NRLO plight on access to tags. You bought here because the system in place made this state legendary. This has NOTHING to do with management. Passing these bills will become a disaster for Iowa and its residents who dont already own land. Its on its way to being a rich mans game only and caving to bills like this will just speed up the demise of the quality of hunting here. No different than investors clamoring for tillable ground all over the midwest

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Plenty of states allow NRLO get a tag every year (basically all of them except Iowa). If it was simply about hunting, spending time on their farm, etc, nrlo could just buy in those states.

I think it is extremely short sighted to push to change the tag allocation. Everyone should be able to connect the dots on that statement.

The money generating statements by politicians hold zero weight with me. The figures they have mentioned are nothing compared to the economic impact by those that have moved here. There are literally thousands of people that have moved to this state because of Iowa's quality management. And there are more every year.

Horrible horrible bill on so many levels. Residents must ban together and get this shut down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s not a horrible bill. It incorporates min required acres, 5 year wait, etc. They’re trying to address big chunks of under managed land; which you guys claim is 50% in places.

Only 7% of Iowa residents bought a hunting license last year. The other 93% are also constituents who this bill may benefit.

What’s comical is change is always equated with greedy politicians and interest groups. Sometimes it is but other times variables have shifted and things need altered.

Jersey, you make points that have been made countless times. It’s not about the poor resident, it’s about the small percentage of bowhunters and their rut, and 3 buck tags. Lol

Last edited:
  • Deleted by rutnstrut
Show…
  • Deleted by rutnstrut
Show…
Top Bottom