Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

I thinks it’s obvious. Hardwood also made the argument. We have property we can’t manage that promotes habitat and disease issues. Not very difficult.

Im having a hard time figuring out what youre trying to argue in this post... Youre a NRLO and you want what? The same tags that a resident is allowed, 1 or 2 guaranteed any sex tags every year, unlimited doe tags??? Are you also saying that if you and every other NRLO got any of the above that it wouldnt eventually destroy Iowa deer hunting as we know it???
Heres my take/opinion... You bought your ground being fully aware of the fact that you wouldnt be granted any of the above things, sounds like some people bought ground long enough ago that they use to get tags more often and yes I get it thats got to be frustrating but thats part of life, its very frustrating for all of us residents to see our hunting in jeopardy just because someone in a different state thinks there wants should trump ours. If its truly that big of a deal then sell your ground and buy some in a state that already allows you the things you want on your Iowa farm problem solved.

Lets just be honest Iowas herd management isnt really what youre worried about, if it didnt involve you or your ability to hunt here you wouldnt care about any of this... Our deer herd or hunting.
But if management is truly your arguement and what youre wanting then dont kid yourself thinking youre going to be able to successfully manage a farm by yourself from another state... What are the odds youre going to take the time and spend the money to shoot enough does to actually make a difference? Maybe the 1st year maybe even the 2nd but it wont be a continuous thing year after year and thats what management takes. If youre truly worried about management then you need to befriend a neighbor or local that can come in and help you with that and shoot does every year for pennies on the dollar compared to your NR tags and travel expenses. If that sounds like a bad idea to you then youre not worried about management youre just worried about your own selfish wants and about how often you can hunt it yourself... I get it Im selfish too if I owned ground somewhere then Id want to be able to hunt it whenever I wanted, but unless I was stupid rich and had land in several different states Id be smart enough to buy somewhere I could do what I wanted when I bought instead of where I couldnt and just hoped the laws would change in my favor.

Anyone who thinks any law that allows more privileges for NRLO wont significantly hurt our hunting in general let alone destroy resident access either has no clue or is in denial... A LOT of good chunks of ground that get listed right now are already being bought up as fast as they can by NR with our current laws it will only get significantly worse if theres guarantees of more tags thats only common sense. There are far too many people nationwide with extremely deep pockets that would buy up everything they could get their hands on if they were allowed NRLO tags every year and nobody with an ounce of common sense can argue that.
If I don’t draw I can shoot one doe? Doesn’t cut it. No, I’m not having residents manage the land I pay for.

If Iowa doesn’t want this problem under the current nrlo regs prohibit non resident land ownership. The IBA can hire a lobbyist and propose the legislation. The IBA has a hired gun, like Mr Jensen. Problem solved.
I thinks it’s obvious. Hardwood also made the argument. We have property we can’t manage that promotes habitat and disease issues. Not very difficult.

If I don’t draw I can shoot one doe? Doesn’t cut it. No, I’m not having residents manage the land I pay for.

If Iowa doesn’t want this problem under the current nrlo regs prohibit non resident land ownership. The IBA can hire a lobbyist and propose the legislation. The IBA has a hired gun, like Mr Jensen. Problem solved.

Im having a hard time figuring out what youre trying to argue in this post... Youre a NRLO and you want what? The same tags that a resident is allowed, 1 or 2 guaranteed any sex tags every year, unlimited doe tags??? Are you also saying that if you and every other NRLO got any of the above that it wouldnt eventually destroy Iowa deer hunting as we know it???
Heres my take/opinion... You bought your ground being fully aware of the fact that you wouldnt be granted any of the above things, sounds like some people bought ground long enough ago that they use to get tags more often and yes I get it thats got to be frustrating but thats part of life, its very frustrating for all of us residents to see our hunting in jeopardy just because someone in a different state thinks there wants should trump ours. If its truly that big of a deal then sell your ground and buy some in a state that already allows you the things you want on your Iowa farm problem solved.

If management is truly what youre wanting then dont kid yourself thinking youre going to be able to successfully manage a farm by yourself from another state... What are the odds youre going to take the time and spend the money to shoot enough does to actually make a difference? Maybe the 1st year maybe even the 2nd but it wont be a continuous thing year after year and thats what management takes. If youre truly worried about management then you need to befriend a neighbor or local that can come in and help you with that and shoot does every year for pennies on the dollar compared to your NR tags and travel expenses. If that sounds like a bad idea to you then youre not worried about management youre just worried about your own selfish wants and about how often you can hunt it yourself... I get it Im selfish too if I owned ground somewhere then Id want to be able to hunt it whenever I wanted, but unless I was stupid rich and had land in several different states Id be smart enough to buy somewhere I could do what I wanted when I bought instead of where I couldnt and just hoped the laws would change in my favor.

Anyone who thinks any law that allows more privileges for NRLO wont significantly hurt our hunting in general let alone destroy resident access either has no clue or is in denial... A LOT of good chunks of ground that get listed right now are already being bought up as fast as they can by NR with our current laws it will only get significantly worse if theres guarantees of more tags thats only common sense. There are far too many people nationwide with extremely deep pockets that would buy up everything they could get their hands on if they were allowed NRLO tags every year and nobody with an ounce of common sense can argue that.

Last edited:
I think have to address tags now or in the future. Things change. It is not just CWD, EHD, the legislatures would not be passing committee bills if there is not a concern. I understand the protectionist theory, I support Trump and his national policy is similar. I think there is a happy medium. You guys do not think so--I get that.

Bottom line the key is to protect November from guns. Would anyone on here support a happy medium...(?) I know many that would (but they are not IW members). Almost every IA resident I have had this discussion, says that they cannot believe you have to wait 3-4 years to get a tag...yes I know we can get the shotgun doe tag--ok. It would fun to have a civil discussion on it.

I think have to address tags now or in the future. Things change. It is not just CWD, EHD, the legislatures would not be passing committee bills if there is not a concern. I understand the protectionist theory, I support Trump and his national policy is similar. I think there is a happy medium. You guys do not think so--I get that.

Bottom line the key is to protect November from guns. Would anyone on here support a happy medium...(?) I know many that would (but they are not IW members). Almost every IA resident I have had this discussion, says that they cannot believe you have to wait 3-4 years to get a tag...yes I know we can get the shotgun doe tag--ok. It would fun to have a civil discussion on it.
Sure I'd likely support some middle of the road legislation IF there was a guarantee attached that there would be no more future bills introduced for the foreseeable future. But that's not how it works. They get their foot in the door and then you've lost all leverage. Look at the youth season. They wanted to make the tag good for any season to increase success. Then they needed to expand the weapons. Now they want to expand the weapons again to any weapon legal in any other season(late antlerless seasons allow high power rifles). And in that time we have fought to keep those exact expansions out of the seasons for the adults and it's become harder due to the fact that its allowed for kids.
I agree NRLO are getting shafted with a tag every 4 or 5 years and no doe tags, but as a resident all I can see happening is the nonstop push for more lenient regs and tags.

I am all for being Civil. But why should we have a discussion on it? Is Iowa the best state for Whitetails?? Answer: Yes. So the discussion is you want to change that? Why on earth would any sane person be open to the opposite? Why are there people wanting to change the fact that Iowa is the best place to hunt whitetails. Deep down that's what this discussion is. You want to change Iowa from THE BEST state to a state like illinois.

I am all for being Civil. But why should we have a discussion on it? Is Iowa the best state for Whitetails?? Answer: Yes. So the discussion is you want to change that? Why on earth would any sane person be open to the opposite? Why are there people wanting to change the fact that Iowa is the best place to hunt whitetails. Deep down that's what this discussion is. You want to change Iowa from THE BEST state to a state like illinois.
My answer is No.., and it won’t. It’s more about access for local hunters. The quality would not change.

It’s not like Iowa has the ultimate regulations? I mean you have long seasons, 3 buck tags for residents.

If you didn’t have the November (gun free) It would be average at best. It’s 90% of your successful formula. Ask anyone ?

Illinois is a bad comparison. They basically supplied NR tags to anyone that wished to buy. Iowa is still capping NR hunters and requiring NRLOs to buy at least 80 acres and wait 5 years to receive a tag. Not even comparable to Illinois.

Illinois is a bad comparison. They basically supplied NR tags to anyone that wished to buy. Iowa is still capping NR hunters and requiring NRLOs to buy at least 80 acres and wait 5 years to receive a tag. Not even comparable to Illinois.
... and the rifle guys just wanted straight wall rifle cartridges. Now now they want more. Next year will be more.

I really think the push back on this issue is folks drawing a line in the sand. If this were to pass there would be more Bill's right behind it in future years. Guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My answer is No.., and it won’t. It’s more about access for local hunters. The quality would not change.

It’s not like Iowa has the ultimate regulations? I mean you have long seasons, 3 buck tags for residents.

If you didn’t have the November (gun free) It would be average at best. It’s 90% of your successful formula. Ask anyone ?
Access foe those that live here is pretty important to those who live here. We also dont all get 3 buck tags.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is what I am telling the legislators and everyone I know that is also concerned on the issue.

PLEASE - leave Iowa deer seasons alone!
- No more seasons
- No more weapons and cartridges
- No more special interest groups
- No more extra privileges
JUST SAY NO

We have a good thing going here but this is a natural resource that could very easily be tipped the other way - lets not ruin what we have.
Even the smallest change could dramatically change things in a short period of time.

You don't think the quality of whitetail will change??? I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. If you think it wont have a negative effect on our deer herd than you need to stop have intellectual conversations about this topic. I'm not trying to be mean here but if this is really your stance and belief than there is nothing we can do to help you. If you think the only reason we have quality whitetail is because we don't allow guns during the rut than you are sadly mistake again.

Only resident land owners have to ability to get 3 anysex tags. Regular residents are allowed 2. One in which has to be archery, and other a gun season. So if I didn't bow hunt. I'd only technically be allowed 1 anysex tag.

You don't think the quality of whitetail will change??? I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. If you think it wont have a negative effect on our deer herd than you need to stop have intellectual conversations about this topic. I'm not trying to be mean here but if this is really your stance and belief than there is nothing we can do to help you. If you think the only reason we have quality whitetail is because we don't allow guns during the rut than you are sadly mistake again.

Everyone has an opinion. Depends on what they pass, or do not pass. If they added 1500 more NR tags, would it make Iowa Horseshi*...No way. A 5 year wait...NRLO tag for minimum 80 acres. Access issue, not a quality hunting issue.

As I said before 90% of what you have in Iowa is the gun season being in December. Mess with that it all changes, the tags should have a limit--no doubt. I am not for unlimited tags. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, nor do I completely disagree with you. I understand the protectionism... Human nature.

It is a deer, not an elk, moose, sheep or a bear? I have land in MN, that is close to a big public area. NR can hunt bear on that land every year, and they have with success. I see Iowa guys hunting bear in MN. Have at it, and enjoy it is fun!

There is a big misconception on resident landowners getting 3 tags. Our whole family group with different farms under different names and llcs is only allowed one extra landowner any sex tag. And that’s on over 1000 acres. So non residents can come in and get a landowner tag on 80 acres and have more privileges than me , or my wife , or my mom do as resident landowners. Deal with the current laws or sell and try to mess with someone else’s state. I have no sympathy whatsoever. And non residents can draw gun tags if not every year every other year.

Last edited:
Everyone has an opinion. Depends on what they pass, or do not pass. If they added 1500 more NR tags, would it make Iowa Horseshi*...No way. A 5 year wait...NRLO tag for minimum 80 acres. Access issue, not a quality hunting issue.

As I said before 90% of what you have in Iowa is the gun season being in December. Mess with that it all changes, the tags should have a limit--no doubt. I am not for unlimited tags. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, nor do I completely disagree with you. I understand the protectionism... Human nature.

It is a deer, not an elk, moose, sheep or a bear? I have land in MN, that is close to a big public area. NR can hunt bear on that land every year, and they have with success. I see Iowa guys hunting bear in MN. Have at it, and enjoy it is fun!
Is that land near you a premier bear unit or potentially the best place to hunt bears in the state, let alone the nation? For the last 3 years my zone has had leftover gun tags and I've seen nonresidents down here from all over hunting for multiple years in a row and they are having fun.
Again I more than likely agree with you on many of these issues. But if they pass that 5 year wait won't make it because there will be another bill next February. Soon the 1500 tags won't be enough and someone else will start whining and then it will be 5000.
And while it may an access issue right away what's gonna happen when all the people who used to hunt for thrill or food dont have anywhere to hunt but the crowded public. 3 options. Hunt the crowded public, throw in the towel, or start high stepping onto the property where the landowner isnt around. There becomes your quality issue. If people think trespassing is an issue now, when access gets worse so will the trespassing.

Im curious if this is about management for the NRLO whats your desired tag allocation per year?

Im curious if this is about management for the NRLO whats your desired tag allocation per year?

if you are asking me... I’d support +1 pref point as landowner and 3 doe tags per 80... in counties that have adequate deer numbers.

There are No bills like that right now.

Is that land near you a premier bear unit or potentially the best place to hunt bears in the state, let alone the nation?

Great point. This is lost on a lot of people. Iowa is like no place on earth when it comes to deer hunting. Places like that have to be treated differently. It really falls into western type managment. Meaning, premium areas/states are going to have limited access.

Managing for quality and managing for opportunity are two very different goals.

You cant have both.

Look at Colorado elk vs. zones in Arizona as an example.

Great point. This is lost on a lot of people. Iowa is like no place on earth when it comes to deer hunting. Places like that have to be treated differently. It really falls into western type managment. Meaning, premium areas/states are going to have limited access.

Managing for quality and managing for opportunity are two very different goals.

You cant have both.

Look at Colorado elk vs. zones in Arizona as an example.

How long should Colorado make us all wait for elk then? How long should MN make NR wait to get a bear tag? 15,000 bear in MN, compared to 400,000?? Deer in Iowa.

I've been trying for 26 years to get the Archery Elk tag I want in Colorado and still cant draw - maybe I should get their legislature to pass a law to give me a tag?
If you owned land there would you have to wait 26 years?

Top Bottom