Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Increase in NR tags HF 2517

Minnesota has party hunting as well, and no one ever complains about it as a loophole. It is rare that it is an enforcement nightmare. Someone gets to take home a buck or doe on his or her farm--that is not a nightmare. It is only a nightmare, if you sit and worry about someone else success.

Poaching, trespassing and the taking deer without tags is something far more serious.

Minnesota has party hunting as well, and no one ever complains about it as a loophole. It is rare that it is an enforcement nightmare. Someone gets to take home a buck or doe on his or her farm--that is not a nightmare. It is only a nightmare, if you sit and worry about someone else success.

Poaching, trespassing and the taking deer without tags is something far more serious.

I didn't realize that nonresidents were paying residents in Minnesota for the opportunity to party hunt with them for bucks. My guess is that you are comparing apples to oranges here.

Enforcement nightmare is not a term I coined, it was told to me by a couple of CO's. I can only assume they know more about the issue than you or me as they are the ones dealing with it in the field.

It has become a problem as more and more nonresidents figure out that party hunting is a way to beat the lottery system and still shoot bucks in Iowa every year. Some residents that never had any intention to hunt are getting tags to "sell" to nonresidents and some "outfitters" are using this loophole to sell more hunts and provide tags to their hunters. I think we have done a good job of proving that big money will not buy concessions for buck tags in Iowa and eliminating this loophole is the next step to cleaning up the system.

As someone that has benefitted from this loophole, I can see why you feel the way you do. I don't blame you for using the loophole to your advantage. But, I think those days may be numbered. On the bright side, you can move here and shoot three bucks on your farm every year if you wish.

As far as worrying about another's success...…. I most certainly do. Not my own success, but the future success of our residents that are losing more and more opportunities every year to hunt in their home state. I enjoyed the "glory days" of Iowa deer hunting before TV ruined it and have been there and done that. I really couldn't improve much on what I have already accomplished in the Whitetail woods. I would rather chase turkeys with my bow, work on habitat and fish at this point.

One other issue I don't understand is how a nonresident can party hunt on a nonresident antlerless license. NRs are already taking advantage of this 'loophole' though my guess is it was never intended to be a 'loophole' it is a way for NRs to take advantage of our resource....by design.

Party hunting is legal in Iowa during the Shotgun seasons.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I know that. It has been most of the 57 years of my life. But party hunting means hunting as a party. Party hunting does not mean shooting a deer and then calling the any sex tag owner to tell them they need your tag.

They can hunt turkey, pheasant, quail, rabbits, ducks, squirrels, woodchucks, mushrooms, coyotes, raccoons and the list goes on. Unless, you think some of these guys just bought ground in Iowa because you think they want to come hunt trophy bucks? They can hunt every single year and have a great time. But, the party hunting for non-residents does get a ton of abuse. Many of those tags are getting filled from NRLO's sitting over foodplots and then the neighbor is getting called to come with the tag after the kill. Or, worse yet, the neighbor just gives them the tag to use when they show up for the gun season. I know of guys paying the neighbor to have their kids get tags also. It does not always stop with one buck either. A lot of NRLO's are actually paying locals for the opportunity to use those tags. It is a loophole that needs eliminated. Until then, enjoy using it. That is the benefit of having loopholes. I guess ethics can be ignored when the system is "unfair". We can call it the Bernie Sanders tag.

Well said fletch920.

Party hunting is a management tool that’s not going away. The dnr wants dead deer. Loophole is used by residents as well.

Like one resident who shot two bucks and one doe in a single push. I witnessed it this past year during second shotgun. Who knows how many more he shot as the party moved through the block. But please worry about us NRLOs.

If the practice disappears it will for residents and nrs alike.

Party hunting is a management tool that’s not going away. The dnr wants dead deer. Loophole is used by residents as well. Like the one resident who shoots two bucks and one doe in a single push. If the practice disappears it will for residents and nrs alike.

Nope. We can just eliminate party hunting for nonresidents and make sure that selling of tags is illegal and fined severely. Easy fix. I think we can get the support of CO's and change this within a year or two.

Right. Why not propose zero NRLOs and no NR tags. Ban anyone from crossing your state line?

My Dad always said, "Mess with the bull, and you'll get the horn."

There are a LOT of NRLO's that wish guys like you would keep your mouth shut and quit waking the sleeping dogs. But, I'm glad guys like you keep the pot stirred up to remind us to fight for what our residents deserve. lol

My Dad always said, "Mess with the bull, and you'll get the horn."

There are a LOT of NRLO's that wish guys like you would keep your mouth shut and quit waking the sleeping dogs. But, I'm glad guys like you keep the pot stirred up to remind us to fight for what our residents deserve. lol

Amen! It's frustrating to have to deal with this attempted natural resource power grab by NRs on an annual basis. The DNR did not create this treasured Iowa resource on their own. Iowans partnered with them to create it.

Lol. Or you meet a matador. Honestly I don’t care what happens. At my age the property is a long term investment for my family. Hunting is a hobby that I do when I can and if I’m not able via the regs, rules, etc. Oh well.

I look big picture and long term. Iowa dirt is primarily diversification of my portfolio. You guys just drive up the value. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB
Lol. Or you meet a matador. Honestly I don’t care what happens. At my age the property is a long term investment for my family. Hunting is a hobby that I do when I can and if I’m not able via the regs, rules, etc. Oh well.

I look big picture and long term. Iowa dirt is primarily diversification of my portfolio. You guys just drive up the value. Thank you.

Actually, we keep the value down so our residents can make a living raising cattle and hay and still have a place to hunt. If NRLO's got tag concessions the land would skyrocket overnight. But, you know that. You just make sport of saying the opposite of what is correct because it amuses you to troll. We get it. Again, glad you do, it keeps us vigilant.

You sure write a ton about something you say you don't care about.

I don’t care. Value keeps climbing. That’s my primary concern. If hunting regs change that’s a bonus. If not oh well. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: A
Show…
Top Bottom