Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd?

loneranger

I found a buck bones only on my property in a spot I usually dont go into until now. The question is, do bucks die of ehd into the fall ? This buck had totally hard antlers. No velvet. Just wondering if it was a casualty of ehd or was shot somewhere and died on my property. Probably the later. Thanks

Usually an EHD kill will be found near water, often have dried velvet on their antlers and I think the biggest giveaway is that the beadwork on the base of the antlers is still sharp...since they never got around to rubbing/polishing their antlers...thereby dulling those "micro-points". If the bases are sharp...it probably was EHD. If dull, it probably died later in the fall or winter.

Thanks. Probably shot by someone. No trophy bone. And a 3 yr old. Looks like Im not the only one around here that will take a 3 yr old.

In regards to when they die... lil example- different reason..... Dead shed buck. 1st thing I did is look at hooves. BINGO!!! Both of em cracked and deformed. Sorry pic ain’t great- thing stunk & I only had one hand for pic- they were messed up!!! I held one up but the bottom one down & to left by glove is far worse. Extremely likely- ehd “survival” only to succumb to infection through cracked deformed hooves later. Died sometime in February. Gets old. The amount of ehd deer every year is still substantial and some years its devastating. I cover countless acres every year (farming, plots, crp & timber work) and find ehd casualties yearly. I am genuinely curious if guys in CWD areas (like WI) find the # of dead deer that I do yearly. ???? Sucks.

**midges can be active into fall. Takes several hard freezes - ive personally seen em even after that!!! So yes- can be fall & like above/below- secondary can be 2 or 8 months later & finally gets em.
IMO- hard horned deaths are more likely from fighting (tines in guts) or other injury like getting shot. Fighting kills a handful on me yearly. I personally seen one buck kill another in December about 5-6 years ago. Savage!!!
f6ac6d92f01d3821345c1d73c88aa4d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else finding much suspected EHD Van Buren county. We have found over 20 bucks dead that were alive Oct into November and December and that many dead does and yearling as well. Some dead shed bucks and some with swollen hooves. Found very few early.

Anyone else finding much suspected EHD Van Buren county. We have found over 20 bucks dead that were alive Oct into November and December and that many dead does and yearling as well. Some dead shed bucks and some with swollen hooves. Found very few early.

Yikes, hadn't heard that. We are in Davis County, but very close to Van Buren and did not find any dead bucks this year, which might be the first time for that in several years. We did find a couple of dead does/fawns, but could not be sure what they died from.

We have not found any ehd deer at our farms in van buren and I haven’t heard of anyone else finding any either.

Wow, that’s a terrible report. Sorry to hear that.

Top Bottom