Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Simazine/ atrazine for switchgrass

BlizzardofOzz

I frost seeded some switchgrass this year and am preparing for weed prevention. Looking for recommendations on herbicide products and rates. I only planted about 1.75 acre. I know atrazine is restricted but is also available on amazon? It is also cheaper than Simazine. What is the most effective and economical way to go? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

I used roundup and crop oil in the spring before the switch germinates. I did this the first 2 years and got a awesome stand growing after 2 years.

https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/switchgrass.13575/page-80
got most info.
Can use simazine & atrazine interchangeably. I like atrazine better but splitting hairs. 2 sprayings with post & preemergents are almost always ideal. Quinclorac & methylated seed oil if foxtail & crabgrass get going. Mowing if weeds hit bad. If u got nasty weed bank waiting- 2 oz of plateau &/or light metolachlor around April to early may will help. I’d still nuke the site until late may with last bomb of Gly & atrazine/simazine. Wanna time last kill of weeds with pre emergents as close to germination as possible. Which generally switch is June & sometimes early July but I try for late may spraying to be safe.

We just burnt off a few acres of field grass this weekend. Do you think it's a little late still to plant switchgrass or just get it in before a good rain?

Top Bottom