Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Farm Bill

If you made a general crp offer.. excellent chance it was accepted.
Iowa has 97% acceptance of offers. That will be 267,000 acres habitat.
County offices will release more information soon.

Thats great news, my neighbor to west just applied for 65 acres of CRP ... with no trees on it. Near my food plot.

Hope it gets in.

3.4 million acres were accepted in the February general signup for the whole USA.

I'm looking for Iowa specific information and how many acres were available, but I am not finding it.
Information will be coming from your local office soon will be my guess. I'll know more in a few days but I'd guess most reasonable offers will got accepted.

Keep in mind that continuous CRP ...which pays more per acre, and better cost share is still available. There are good options out there, you just have to push the local FSA people to sign up...(they probably are not meeting with many landowners right now--with CV 19)

Nation wide was a 89% acceptance rate.
Iowa was 97%.
Missouri was 98%.
Only the very lowest scores did not make the cutoff.
Local offices will begin to notify producers no later than April 3.
Duckriver nailed it from the information I am getting today. Plenty of people still chased the lower rates as I had commented and several that I know of in MO even lowered rates to increase points for better chance of getting in. 3.4 million acres accepted nationwide.

Last edited:
FSA office called - My Missouri land was accepted in, letters coming out next week.

I did bid in at a lower rate for additional points..... d'oh !

Last edited:
I already contacted my local office to re-up some I have expiring this year.
I have some more I want to put in for the first time but need to get someone out there to measure and mark where it is in the field, it's not a whole field, just where the creek bank is eroding the field. Who do I contact in the usda for this? Is that the nrcs folks?

Fsa will handle it all for you. If fsa needs something from nrcs then fsa will coordinate that.
Don't be surprised if fsa charges you a small measurement fee.

I already contacted my local office to re-up some I have expiring this year.
I have some more I want to put in for the first time but need to get someone out there to measure and mark where it is in the field, it's not a whole field, just where the creek bank is eroding the field. Who do I contact in the usda for this? Is that the nrcs folks?
Normally that would be NRCS. However, they basically have eliminated field work with Covid, at least in my counties. I can tell ya how I handled this that worked in similar situation. Download huntstand or similar app. Turn on the tracking feature and walk your desired boundaries of CRP. Screen shot that and send it to USDA. It will have your track overlayed on aerial photo. FSA can get it close enough from there. Maybe not as convenient as them coming out with their GPS units, but its a work around for now.

I talked to the FSA yesterday about 60 acres we have expiring. Here is our thought. Based on the 98% acceptance rate for MO last year we are going to offer based on our current stand of WSG which qualifies for 20 EBI points for the seed mix portion of the score. The other option is the start over with a new seeding which would give us 50 EBI points which seems crazy considering we have good stand of WSG now.

I would assume just about everyone tries to re-enroll with the CRP cover they currently have? Can anyone in the know provide insight or poke holes in our plan?

I wouldn't think there would be too much competition from new crp for competition with commodity prices where they are. I don't have much experience with crp, but do with farming. In my opinion prices are high enough that some ground that may have went back to crp before, will be broke out and farmed.

I talked to the FSA yesterday about 60 acres we have expiring. Here is our thought. Based on the 98% acceptance rate for MO last year we are going to offer based on our current stand of WSG which qualifies for 20 EBI points for the seed mix portion of the score. The other option is the start over with a new seeding which would give us 50 EBI points which seems crazy considering we have good stand of WSG now.

I would assume just about everyone tries to re-enroll with the CRP cover they currently have? Can anyone in the know provide insight or poke holes in our plan?
Talked to fsa yesterday as well. They told me I prolly wouldn't have enough points to get accepted if I get only the 20pts using the existing stand. So I might have to reseed to get the 50pts to qualify or offer less than the max dollars to get more points....

Talked to fsa yesterday as well. They told me I prolly wouldn't have enough points to get accepted if I get only the 20pts using the existing stand. So I might have to reseed to get the 50pts to qualify or offer less than the max dollars to get more points....
I wonder what they are using as cutoff. They are currently way under the acre cap.

I got rates from FSA yesterday. Embarrassing. Not even close to 80% of true cash rent numbers. There is a $50/acre difference between ISU cash rent survey data and the NASS survey data they are using for my county of interest. WTF?!!?!?!!?

...corn at $4.80.... yeah CRP ain't in the ballpark at moment.

High crop prices are helping bump rents. All our tillable ground is up for rent this year, I'm getting bids for $35 to$45 an acre more than I was getting.

High crop prices are helping bump rents. All our tillable ground is up for rent this year, I'm getting bids for $35 to$45 an acre more than I was getting.

Definitely more interest in renting crop ground. Beans are over $13

That isn't good news!!!

Slick--have you looked into continuous CRP options? More $$ and more cost share. Quail buffers, filter strips, wetlands, riparian buffers, duck nesting, windbreaks...all options, map it out if it qualifies.

Top Bottom