Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Those w frost seeding experience....

Rous14

PMA Member
Frost seeded a handful of small plots w clover the second weekend in March (west central IL) and just wondered when I should have a feel for how it germinated. When will I be able to see the clover starting to come up do u think? Thanks!

Clover germinates around 59 degrees ground temp. Depending on sunlight most of mine has already germinated, should start seeing small plants very soon. This weekend might set it back a little bit.

Clover germinates around 59 degrees ground temp. Depending on sunlight most of mine has already germinated, should start seeing small plants very soon. This weekend might set it back a little bit.
Thanks Tim. My dad is at the farm right now and sent me a couple of pics of the plots and they appear to be bare dirt yet. He said he didn’t see anything coming up other than some grasses/weeds here and there. I’m not worried yet but just wanted to have a bit of a timeline before I do (back up plan is to till and re seed if necessary but don’t want to waste time/money until I know whether the frost seeding was a failure or not)

3/31/20 pic

Gotta look close but clover is up.
0d848566737857049ea724fa098a17e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3/31/20 pic

Gotta look close but clover is up.
0d848566737857049ea724fa098a17e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Appreciate it 1983. Your reply has my a little worried that maybe mine didn’t take for some reason. I’ll probably give it a few more weeks before I till it up and replant it. Other than crows/birds I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t take. I read Skip saying he’s almost never had a frost seed failure. I had bare dirt so I should be good. Fingers crossed I guess.

Rous, I frost seeded clover and chicory in Feb and it is not showing yet. I'm in NE. Like Skip, I have never had a frost seed failure. I have no doubt mine will be coming up and I'm sure yours will too. Good pic IBH.

Frost seeded weekend of March 21st in West Central, IL. Checked this past weekend and had very small plants starting to show.....as long as you had exposed soil when seeding, you should be fine.

Top Bottom