Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late season food plot

Rutty

I have a 1 acre field in between 2 chunks of timber. I have planted many consecutive years of turnips with decent success. Seems hit or miss.... some years they hit it hard other years the place is a ghost town and I think they relocate to grain. Since I haven’t rotated in a while I need to plant something else. Anybody have any ideas on what to plant? Primarily want it to be a shotgun and late muzzy food source. Beans are out of the question since it’s only 1 acre... no point of trying that is there? It’s a high density area. Thanks for any input! It seems like the last few years they don’t really start hammering grain until late muzzy is over. Seems like we don’t see much below 20 and 30 degrees during shotgun and muzzy so I might want to take that into consideration.

I'm doing about 2 acres of beans this year but I'm fencing them. Brassicas are really hit it miss depending on how cold it get it would seem. People seems to have good luck with fencing them. Beans and standing/knocked down corn are money makers if you can get them to last.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rye, Is what I like to end the year with. Starts the year also. I use a blend of forage oats, forage beans, forage peas, then overseed heavy with rye a couple weeks later. Awesome tonnage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do the deer seem to hit the rye late season? When do you normally plant it? Can you buy a bag with that mixture or do you need to buy all them separate?

Do the deer seem to hit the rye late season? When do you normally plant it? Can you buy a bag with that mixture or do you need to buy all them separate?
I sell a blend that comes with Oats, peas, beans. Then over seed with Rye. Its Northwoodswhitetails seed. Deer mow is down, the early planting i would do 1st part of August here at least then overseed end of August first of Sept. Could add clover then too for a spring boost then you have early forage also. Then I like to put in forage beans or cow peas in for the summer then cycle. Alot of options

This a field end of August last year. After everything else was eaten off over fall winter the rye came back with clover. Just dont want to just leave it all summer ideally although its good cover for fawns
527749440148b41f8cb90a50458d090b.jpg

This a field end of August last year. After everything else was eaten off over fall winter the rye came back with clover. Just dont want to just leave it all summer ideally although its good cover for fawns
527749440148b41f8cb90a50458d090b.jpg

I like to leave mine , I agree always lots of fawns in it .. I know there is a debate about the Doe factory .. Great Fawning Habitat from Predators ...

If you can invest a couple hundred bucks into a fence I'd run beans. Personally, I'm ona bean/brassica rotation for my late season plots.

Top Bottom