Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Any newly planted switchgrass up yet? I planted 2 acres worth this winter but havent been to the farm in a few weeks. Curious if any is sprouting

Any newly planted switchgrass up yet? I planted 2 acres worth this winter but havent been to the farm in a few weeks. Curious if any is sprouting
I’ve got clumps of established switch that some hasn’t come out of dormancy. (Some that has though). For NEW SEEDINGS.... u gonna wanna keep it clean & this is the most patience u gonna need on a planting ..... be mid July on some cases before you see switch. Keep it clean & Be really PAAAAATTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIEEENNNNNTTTTTT

I frost seeded some switch for the first time this winter into bean stubble, SW iowa. Sprayed with atrazine around the 1st of may.. I got some weeds starting to pop up here and there. Mainly velvet leaf. Is there anything I can spray for that and still be safe?

I frost seeded some switch for the first time this winter into bean stubble, SW iowa. Sprayed with atrazine around the 1st of may.. I got some weeds starting to pop up here and there. Mainly velvet leaf. Is there anything I can spray for that and still be safe?
Gly, 2,4d.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How late can I spray this and still be safe before switch germinates?

May 10th is a date that some knowledgeable switchgrass folks will say is when it will germinate each year. This can vary from year to year due to temps, etc, but is a good rule of thumb date to work with. Unless you are REALLY SURE you know what you are looking at...I would think that you missed the window this year to spray gly on switch.

Spot on by Daver. Soil temps dictate when comes out of dormancy. Because of odd timed snow & some frost snaps- some of mine came out about 15-30 days later than some early years I’ve seen.

ONE DEFINING POINT.... established switchgrass coming out of dormancy & sending up the year’s growth is VERY DIFFERENT than new seed. New seed will be sitting for some time yet. It will send down roots sometime in June if it’s stratified & germinates correctly. You will see top growth late somewhere around June to mid/late July. U can very easily spray pre & post emergents on new SEEDING. Existing switch- likely is out of dormancy and safer to not spray Post emergents like Gly. Seed- spray away. Some options:
NEW SEED- have good bit of time to spray Gly, atrazine, 2,4-d, simazine, etc.
Established switch: 2,4-d & atrazine

One side note.... if someone accidentally sprayed Gly on natives- thankfully very hard to kill. Deep root systems that usually bounce right back. I wouldn’t try it for fun or on purpose. I had a spray outfit accidentally hit my greened up natives in June with heavy Gly, 2,4-d, ammonium sulfate & matador (for a soybean planting) - it looked “nuked” and about 30-45 days later- it was full, big and growing strong. Bounced right back - to my relief. Don’t try this but it’s resilient.

Whats the success rate for interseeding switch into existing crp at mid contract burn? Say a crp with good amount of forbes. Drilling better than braodcast, sure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So u light on fire and seed? Early or late burn will have impact. No herbicides? If no herbicides- not real good. Later the burn will be in ur favor but still a tough task.

Reactions: arm
I've got grass and velvet leaf in my new switch grass seeding.. first time I've planted switch (frost seeded in feb). So I'm not exactly sure if any at all is switch or if it's still too early.. not sure exactly what I'm looking at. Would i be safe to nuke the field again, or is to late.. or how do I go about it now? Mow it every so often? Thanks for the help

I've got grass and velvet leaf in my new switch grass seeding.. first time I've planted switch (frost seeded in feb). So I'm not exactly sure if any at all is switch or if it's still too early.. not sure exactly what I'm looking at. Would i be safe to nuke the field again, or is to late.. or how do I go about it now? Mow it every so often? Thanks for the help
Me.....

Mow.

Nuke it in october after switch is dormant with 24d and roundup w/ams

Spray again in spring before switch wakes up then burn it as late as possible.

Switch is the one native I recommend burning after year one.

Me.....

Mow.

Nuke it in october after switch is dormant with 24d and roundup w/ams

Spray again in spring before switch wakes up then burn it as late as possible.

Switch is the one native I recommend burning after year one.

How often and what height do you mow?

Right now you can mow it like a lawn. Most likely switch isnt even up but it's getting close so that's why I said mow instead of some herbicide options.

How long should I continue to "mow like a lawn"? Continue to mow throughout this first summer, or once plants emerge stop and see what it does? Sorry for all the questions, but your help is much appreciated!

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
How long should I continue to "mow like a lawn"? Continue to mow throughout this first summer, or once plants emerge stop and see what it does? Sorry for all the questions, but your help is much appreciated!
You could the entire first year. I prefer to mow just above any switch (which at the moment is non existent or tiny) This let's the switch grow as much as possible and also leaves enough fuel for fire next year.

Is anyone seeing any new seedlings? I've got nothing. Zero. Zilch. This is the time of year where doubts start to creep in. I guess I'll go mow it. That will make me feel better. On a positive note. The 2nd and 3rd year stuff looks amazing.

Top Bottom