Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quick 2nd Amendment lesson, reflection & thoughts for future....

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
As we wrap up another blow to our deer & natural resources regulations.... just got me chewing on all of this BIG PICTURE & how this happens every year in different forms. The threats never stop. Our great & fragile resource is always a target of those wishing to exploit or eliminate it.

Our 2nd amendment sees the same threats.... eroding our rights, incremental steps to limit or destroy them & the fight never ends.

Then our 2 worlds collided, yet again. The 2 worlds most of us here fight for. Here’s the point I want you all to think about..... how did these 2 get co-mingled and how can we stop this in the future. How did my freedom to bear arms get spun into what weapon I can use during XYZ hunting season?

It’s IMPORTANT we make this discussion VERY SIMPLE.... what is the 2nd amendment????...
5a75f0be941399b3b889495acb7e4857.jpg

“To keep and bear arms”. & that’s what 2nd amendment groups should be fighting for- right? Is that what we have now with IFC & NRA? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. What’s IFC’s mission, I will admit- it does get a little past just the 2nd amendment, which I clearly don’t agree with and have vast amounts of thoughts on how or why this should change....
9106642407b0c20951dd0d22989938c7.jpg

Basically though, the IFC is a 2nd amendment rights organization and props to them for that. Which we are on the same team. I would STRONGLY argue- they have no business in our deer hunting regulations. I don’t believe they should be advocating UZI’s for waterfowl season or fighting for a Tannerite Turkey season or High Power Squirrel season. Here’s why..... we have the right to own RIFLES, straight walls, semi automatics, pistols, conceal carry, on & on & on. And they should continue to fight for those things. So- because I can legally own an AR, .350, 50bmg, 9mm, etc - they should have stepped aside right there- GAME OVER. Continue to fight for our rights to have these BUT they overstepped by pushing XYZ into our hunting seasons.... they crossed into the lane of true hunting organizations & wildlife managers.

“OPPORTUNITY FOR HUNTERS!!!!” Again- this is NOT a 2nd amendment issue!!!! I can’t beat this home hard enough. The ONLY “opportunity for hunters” initiatives should come from hunter groups who’s only issue is to support, protect & manage our resource.... voters, IBA, ducks unlimited, DNR, youth hunting organizations: on and on and on. It’s a broad list. It should NOT be influenced by: groups wanting higher gun sales, 2nd amendment groups, politicians & lobbyists siding with these groups, a manufacturing group - say crossbow lobby, etc etc. When these special interests groups use the sacred words “opportunities for hunters” - we need to call it what it is: BS. 6 deer seasons, 4 months of hunting, 7-8 weapons (who can keep track). All with 6% timber & continued lack of access to quality habitat for new hunters or the everyday hunter. It’s a scam. We all know it.

Please: get back to basics.... make these issues simple..... what is the 2nd amendment & who is fighting for it? Who should form our game laws & regulations and why are certain groups involved?????
“OPPORTUNITY” is the newest scam political super word that does exactly the opposite when combined with any sham of a bill or proposal you will see. Whether it’s more tags or new weapons or who knows what- WATCH CLOSELY FOR THAT WORD & WHO IS BEHIND IT!!
Boil things down to basics, get folks back in their correct lanes & keep iowa great!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So true... very, very slippery slope on rifles especially in farm country. Plus a state that has plenty of deer drives.

Welcome to politics. Doesn’t every group and lobby cloak their real agenda behind tug the heart string talking points?? Not saying it’s proper but that’s politics. I can think of several examples of lobbies who do that very thing every legislative season!!! We’ll keep it there.

It does happen & sure doesn’t mean anyone has to accept it or not fight bad intents, dirty politics, bad laws, etc etc. Example “The Affordable Care Act”... was it affordable? Have great folks behind it? Was it a great law with great results? Should we have fought it? You can answer those questions based on your own feelings. Clearly there’s 50 million other examples like this. There’s also GOOD LAWS with good intent & we should support those as we see em. I think folks can look at game laws & “call em as we see em”. I trust what true sportsman say about a law over any special interests & their lobbyists any day.

Couldn’t agree more but when you have politicians on both sides of the aisle looking for favors with different pieces of legislation they don’t care. They are the epitome of insider info and trading. It’s a work in progress to all of their financial benefits. While we focus on what’s near and dear they’re planning a financial future for them.

I'm a huge 2nd amendment supporter, (to the point where I think fully automatics should be legal again), but most gun rights groups are cancer to their own cause. NRA'a solution to most issues is to give them more money and they're silent on key topics and local issues; IFC annoyingly use the second amendment to prop up whatever their new agenda is. IFC has no business getting in the hunting regulation industry.
Gun sales are through the roof, so the only agenda I can see is to elevate ownership of hot topic items like AR's, AR pistols braces and high power rifles. The more commonplace the topic and the more public ownership, the more voice against future legislation on those issues, I still don't understand why they're pushing for high power rifles though? I know plenty of gun people who aren't really hunters who would love to use their high power rifles if they could though.

I just saw today that the ATF was looking at braces and wanting to make changes. My guess is that the brace loophole will be addressed sometime in my lifetime and require a tax stamp and federal fingerprints like an short barrel rifle requires. ATF can't write laws, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

All I can say is hunters need to do a better job lobbying, because IFC has proven that it produces results. Iowa hunters and anglers need to form a similar coalition and spearhead new legislation that looks out for the future of our resources.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom