Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too early for turnip and radish?

I’m in Clayton county and I have them going on this weekend. Earliest I’ve ever had them in but, just how work schedules and kids lined up this year. I’m expecting larger than usual bulbs.

N iowa vs S iowa- can swing a week difference, maybe 10 days.
Plenty soil moisture on anything here so another week - probably get started. Like to be finished early August - mainly in case there’s a snag of any type. If it’s mid to late August- still be fine- like many have said- smaller bulbs.
Rutabaga is one that would be planted about June 10-25. A few buddies have had good luck on them & few more trying this year. For sure a slightly earlier brassica.
Earliest planted & longest to mature down the list going to shortest/fast maturing: sugar beet, followed by rutabaga, followed by turnips & last on list is radish. 2 month difference on plant date between extremes of sugar beet & radish.

Still no one has commented on the down side of earlier planting. Yes. For once I have been blessed with abundant moisture. That is my point. If I wait. Could turn dry. I like to plant when I see rain coming. Those tiny seeds are in the top inch or so of soil. When that dries out poor germination.

I have not seen negatives with too early but have with too late. Mid July and for sure before August has been my best. Thinking about trying this weekend but want to check the weather first.

Thanks 150 class. Where are you located. ? North or south Iowa
East central part of the state. I like the forage turnips (because the deer hammer them late season) along with the purple tops. Need good soil moisture and rain in the forecast before I'll plant but planning on it soon. Maximize forage growth. I have not encountered them going to seed or deer avoiding them.

Keosaqua seed guy says you can plant rutabaga now! I might try em. He says they are sweeter than turnip. And that guy auta know!

I planted my turnip, rape, and radish mix this morning. It even rained for a half hour right as I finished up. Last year I planted on almost the same day and it was fine. Just need rain, and with the rain forecast for next week Starting Monday, I should be ok. The farm I hunt is between Indianola and Osceola and has decent soil moisture due to last weeks rain. Hoping for good things this fall

Good report. Glad you got rain. Nws sort of hedging on the rain next week now. Seems most of it will be in Missouri. Maybe. ? Who knows.

Question for all. I missed the rain yesterday morning which was a cow on a flat rock kinda rain. The field was VERY wet and sloppy. Because of schedules we powered thru it. I spread the urea with the 4 wheeler and then we walked and broadcasted the brassica seed.

my question is since we didn’t get to disc in the urea and was hoping the night rain did it for me but, never materialized do you thing the VERY wet field would have dissolved the urea with minimal lose from evaporation? By the time I was done spreading urea and we went to seeding you could not see the urea anymore like it dissolved.

Will I still get the benefits of the urea? We did 125# per acre (had 2 more bags I didn’t put on cause the quad was over heating multiple times and didn’t wanna year it up)

I saw red on radar this morn Ran out and spread seed. Raked it. Light shower from that red Radar .!! now prayin for more. NWS said. Front would stall. Across N MO S Iowa. But has made it to StLouis. Down there 90% rain tonight. Hope none of my seed sprouted with the shower so it can dry up. ?? The way it is with food plots

Question for all. I missed the rain yesterday morning which was a cow on a flat rock kinda rain. The field was VERY wet and sloppy. Because of schedules we powered thru it. I spread the urea with the 4 wheeler and then we walked and broadcasted the brassica seed.

my question is since we didn’t get to disc in the urea and was hoping the night rain did it for me but, never materialized do you thing the VERY wet field would have dissolved the urea with minimal lose from evaporation? By the time I was done spreading urea and we went to seeding you could not see the urea anymore like it dissolved.

Will I still get the benefits of the urea? We did 125# per acre (had 2 more bags I didn’t put on cause the quad was over heating multiple times and didn’t wanna year it up)
You may still get some but i doubt very much....I has to "dissolve" and than absorb into the soil...it may be ok....worst case scenario see what it looks like in a month and if you need it you could also spread some urea right before a rain and be perfectly fine

Update from the Dry loneranger. You all knew I’d talk about dry. Well has been unusually wet this Summer my place. Unlike Western Iowa. Good soil moisture. Forecast this week from the NWS was for a rain filled week. Well that forecast kinda fell flat. I got my ground all tilled. No weeds. Sowed seed. Got a whopping.16. Just enough to get through my tilled dust layer and germinate the seed. Now some is up but high heat this weekend may burn the little guys up. A chance for rain late Sunday but doesn’t look good. Oh well took a chance. That’s farming. Small scale farming

Usually my planting a little later was related to lacking moisture in early to mid August. While early August is the preferred planting date range...I would definitely plant them later if I was short on moisture and was just in front of a nice rain and be glad about that.

I planted mid July. Had lucky good rain to get plots up. Now no rain. None expected rest of Aug! Plots struggling. Looks like a failure. Might have to till again and try oats rye in Sept? If it gets wet again. Which is a big question with 90% of Iowa now in some stage of drought.

Top Bottom