Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“Post on posts”? Rubbing posts...

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
If someone remembers where thread is on rubbing posts- link up or I’ll search later. Putting a few in today and in boonies. Wanted to say this.... after 2-3 years - unreal how well they work. Pictures or getting bucks (& does) to come right to em. The scrape branch is what used here & just used creosote posts. The white pine & willow are way better. But this also works for scrape end of it. I recall a few folks had a method of putting a rub post in a tube so they can change year to year? Genius. Maybe Iowabowhunter? Need some ideas there. Any input or other ideas appreciated. Telling u guys- this is so legit it’s crazy. Grape vines & branches + willow or pine- it’s amazing. I’ve even took grape vines & zip tied em to where branches hang down by my stands and works. Please post up any ideas or the previous threads (which I’m sure is a sticky & im being lazy - I’ll look up when back to civilization). Can’t wait to have these all done & hunt!!!!
41bef6bf41d0645b069af56af0cc8c0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a 6in treated post 10ft and put scape branches on it and had poor usage "in middle of clover plot" going to pull and replace with a willow tree this yr . See if better results.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If someone remembers where thread is on rubbing posts- link up or I’ll search later. Putting a few in today and in boonies. Wanted to say this.... after 2-3 years - unreal how well they work. Pictures or getting bucks (& does) to come right to em. The scrape branch is what used here & just used creosote posts. The white pine & willow are way better. But this also works for scrape end of it. I recall a few folks had a method of putting a rub post in a tube so they can change year to year? Genius. Maybe Iowabowhunter? Need some ideas there. Any input or other ideas appreciated. Telling u guys- this is so legit it’s crazy. Grape vines & branches + willow or pine- it’s amazing. I’ve even took grape vines & zip tied em to where branches hang down by my stands and works. Please post up any ideas or the previous threads (which I’m sure is a sticky & im being lazy - I’ll look up when back to civilization). Can’t wait to have these all done & hunt!!!!

Trail cams forum, sticky. You'll find it there.

I've had awesome results with willows but I don't get much use on them till the middle of September. Then, if placed well, it's game on.

If you know your going to do it in the same spot year after year, 100% put in a 4" PVC schedule 40 pipe and concrete it in. Then just replace tree with a couple 3" deck screws holding it in place.

Grape vines all the way to add scrape feature.

2018 did white pine

2019 did willows.

White pine> Willow (But harder to find)

Is there anywhere u can buy vines?
Drive down any timbered gravel road..., they are all over. On any stretch of maybe .5 miles I look- 100’s to choose from. I try different sizes/diameters to experiment. All u can handle on any road in Iowa if u look

Vines , with rope . Some thick vines some skinny . Hang then down to my belt buckle . Have had tree Rats chew rope off , lol
edaec2311323d9bd8eae7bd1c691926d.jpg

Have you found a size and presentation that works the best?
I’ll let more seasoned folks answer. Since I’m in “learning phase” ..... I put like 5-6 types & sizes at each spot. Variety. It’s working, no doubt... I’m maybe only 2 years into them though so I still need to dial it in. Some seniored scrape gurus on here for sure.

I have tried mock scrapes home made licking branches etc so far deer have ignored them. Only thing the bucks like is a willow to rub. I did use the plastic pipe idea to just slip a new willow into. A great idea!

Re vines.... put it this way. I've NEVER set one up that didn't turn into a scrape. I'm talking using grape vines you see all over. Literally 100% "success" rate. I like them about 1" diameter but almost any size will work.

Top Bottom