Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help identify

tremperje

Can anyone identify this Vine on my treestand

Attachments

• 2700F11A-DB83-4A14-9866-7F39F8684767.jpeg
    2700F11A-DB83-4A14-9866-7F39F8684767.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 103
Not poison ivy. I forget exact name.... Virginia creeper or something like that. Completely harmless. Ivy is 3 leaves only. Creeper is like 5 or so.

5 finger ivy or Virginia creeper. Some people, me included, react to this the same as poison ivy. With PI the reaction is to the urushiol in the sap and VC sap has raphides .

From Wikipedia:

It is sometimes mistaken for Toxicodendron radicans (poison ivy), despite having five leaflets (poison ivy has three).[6] While the leaves of P. quinquefolia do not produce urushiol, the sap within the leaves and stem contains raphides (needle-shaped crystals of calcium oxalate) which can puncture the skin causing irritation and blisters in sensitive people

If I even think I've been exposed to PI, like maybe being in the same section as a PI vine, I scrub down with GoJoe or other oil dissolving hand cleaner. It breaks down the urushiol. If I get exposed to VC, I get ready for three weeks of misery. Years ago I was putting up a tree stand and didn't see the VC vine growing up the back of the tree. I threw a ratchet strap around the back, grabbed it with my left arm and ground my arm into the vine. I have never been so miserable in my life.

Last week cleaning up after the storm I was in both PI and VC. I scrubbed down daily with GoJoe and used what little water we had to rinse it off, I've still got PI and/or VC on my arms and legs. Not a bad case but I'll have it for two more weeks.

Unfortunately my grandkids must share the gene that causes us to react to the VC. My advice, avoid it like the corona. My other advice is ask your doc for some betamethasone valerate cream 0.1%. I have a tube at the ready. If I put just a dab on the first inkling of an itch it helps a lot with the itch and reduces the exudate. The betamethasone also seems to limit the time I get to experience the joys of PI/VC.

Top Bottom