Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Caught Some River Flathead Catfish!

For me I don’t see a reason to throw back a 15 year old flathead when 20-25 is a top age for them. I’d rather throw back a 5 year old fish with a lot of life left.

It’s the same reason I shoot older bucks instead of younger bucks, or harvest larger black walnuts instead of those just big enough to market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big flats eat walleyes. Keep eating those big flats.

You guys motivated me. Tried this weekend to hook into a nice flathead, but no luck. Fished for a few hours and put out some bank poles when I was done. Checked in the morning and all three were empty. I suppose turtles took the bait . . . . . Oh well, I'll give it a shot again. Keep posting pics for us.

I have this debate with friends all the time and enjoy the conversations. Lets see what you guys think.

"In the state of Iowa do you think that there are more 40+ lb. flatheads or 150+ inch bucks?"

I have this debate with friends all the time and enjoy the conversations. Lets see what you guys think.

"In the state of Iowa do you think that there are more 40+ lb. flatheads or 150+ inch bucks?"
In my county there are far more 40+lb flatheads id say. Just for my county. Different river different fish. Cedar river is much bigger than the wapsi where I fish. But wapsi produces much bigger fish.

Big flats eat walleyes. Keep eating those big flats.
Very true, flatheads will eat anything. But for your stance would you want someone to eat say 3 20lb flatheads vs 1 50lb flathead? To protect the walleye your fishing for? I can tell you some of my baits are pushing 2lbs, and I'll catch anything from 5-65 lbs. Small flats eat big baits. Again to each his own, you catch it it's your decision. I can see both arguments.

Very true, flatheads will eat anything. But for your stance would you want someone to eat say 3 20lb flatheads vs 1 50lb flathead? To protect the walleye your fishing for? I can tell you some of my baits are pushing 2lbs, and I'll catch anything from 5-65 lbs. Small flats eat big baits. Again to each his own, you catch it it's your decision. I can see both arguments.

I’d like to see some pics of the stomach contents from flatheads people have caught. One 5lb flat I cut up had 10 bluegills in the stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't show the stomach contents, but figured I'd jump in here. Never caught a flathead before, now I'm hooked. My wife and I were floating and pulling in channel cats left and right, but when we found this hole the action dried up suddenly. We worked the cut bank of the hole pretty thoroughly, and sure enough hooked up! Most exciting thing I've ever experienced on the water, bar none.
114181031_10163814672030548_1357176966698092390_o.jpg

Top Bottom