Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TIME is rewarding

Farm boy

Sometime seems like trees can take so looong to produce.

My intention here is to pass on some of my learning experiences and also gather from others.

When I started planting a bunch of stuff I didn't have or take time to cage them all.
Ones I didn't cage seemed like they were stunted all the time, put a camera on them every deer that walked by it took a bite, take TIME to do it right. Planting more may not always be the answer if you don't have the TIME do it right.

2013 I planted some 2-year-old persimmons that started producing in 2018 and also planted some 2-year-old chestnuts that started producing in 2019.

I also built a quaint little greenhouse that has helped me tremendously in growing trees from nuts.
I have chestnuts and crab apples that are both over 24" tall that started from nuts this spring.

So if you have not found TIME to start I encourage you to do so, and ones who have keep plugging away.

Looking forward to hearing from others.

I'll try to get some pictures saying file is too large to download.

Here are my pictures of the persimmons and the chestnuts and crab apples in the greenhouse
71a619e6c32c29c4a0b76b2376adb199.jpg
85da3d0418ff8bd72ad71d99648bbd93.jpg
d06caeefff8c4340b4a5a56e3b07355f.jpg
f842a89acbe1524debe9e2ac37951b1b.jpg
69904fbedfe3dbb227468fb66cf3ce44.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

8 years is how old they were when they produced in 2019, I bought 2 year old trees in 2013
I believe it can be done sooner.
I had mine little to close to a wood line.
I am really working on fine tuning it with the ones going in this fall.

Good post FB.

I have been stratifying acorns for several years in a fridge over winter. Early spring I soak them in water, throwing the floaters out, then pot them and start them in a cold frame I built until they get 18" or so then plant them. I lose a lot to deer so I have to get some tree tubes to give them a better chance next spring. I'm focusing on sawtooth oak lately since they can produce in 6 years. I'm getting too old to see the results of white oaks.

Good post FB.

I have been stratifying acorns for several years in a fridge over winter. Early spring I soak them in water, throwing the floaters out, then pot them and start them in a cold frame I built until they get 18" or so then plant them. I lose a lot to deer so I have to get some tree tubes to give them a better chance next spring. I'm focusing on sawtooth oak lately since they can produce in 6 years. I'm getting too old to see the results of white oaks.
One thing I found out that helps me growing the chestnuts in the greenhouse is to wash them in a product called StorOx2.0 a broad spectrum bactericide/fungicide.
I also do float mine but I do them before they go in the fridge.

Good post FB.

Hopefully someone/someday will enjoy what you did.
I've about given up planting trees(sadly).
Spent to much only to have the deer rub n kill them.

My first chestnuts are now 10 years old.
I planted them 8 years ago as 2 year old and tubed them. Today I'm taking the tree tube off and replacing with a wire guard and trunk protector around them.
38795f077ff6764a804036d2d2073bbb.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Top Bottom