Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Giving the Ozark Chinquapin another try this year. I had some sprout after planting last fall but something tore off the tube on them last summer.

c0d59141ef20b218b5d63d648b4fbe0d.jpg

745bc6c385384b3cc37f4f16b7882c27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall planted Ozark Chinquapins germinated.

c72b3b4b9b3cfee727e0336ebcec1b28.jpg

Is that in a forest type setting and soil? How did you handle the "mulch" on top there? You got a success there for sure with germination and no critter invasion!!!

Is that in a forest type setting and soil? How did you handle the "mulch" on top there? You got a success there for sure with germination and no critter invasion!!!

Just what I planted at my house. I had a plastic tube around them and applied the mulch after tube was installed 1” or so in the ground.

I’ll check out the ones at the farm this spring to see if they took or not. They’re intermixed with pure American chestnuts so I’m hoping for a hybrid there.

The hybrid Ozark Chinquapins are waking up at the farm now. I checked a few and they’re just starting to pop a radicle.

eaa820f249c39681704fec53714eed21.jpg

I suppose this could count as “tree planting”. Fsa/Nrcs required all trees be taken off a re-enrolled farm. I bought this farm a couple years ago - very neglected. It was mainly brome so allowed trees to get in. Moved them all to areas not in crp. Ran the native grass drill right over this afterwards.

Bobcat skid steer is not a great product (I think bradco maybe makes them for bobcat ??) & skid steer is not ideal but does work. Just lil slower. I was really slow since I was using one hand holding the phone. Just lil demo. Maybe 3-5 minutes per tree with tree and a plug. Nothing incredibly exciting but how it works or looks from inside skid steer....

I suppose this could count as “tree planting”. Fsa/Nrcs required all trees be taken off a re-enrolled farm. I bought this farm a couple years ago - very neglected. It was mainly brome so allowed trees to get in. Moved them all to areas not in crp. Ran the native grass drill right over this afterwards.

Bobcat skid steer is not a great product (I think bradco maybe makes them for bobcat ??) & skid steer is not ideal but does work. Just lil slower. I was really slow since I was using one hand holding the phone. Just lil demo. Maybe 3-5 minutes per tree with tree and a plug. Nothing incredibly exciting but how it works or looks from inside skid steer....

Would love to have one of those for a weekend on my place. Love driving skid steers anyway, but that toy would be fun.

New bridge went in by my farm & they took out about 200 yards of brush & trees that screened it. Took 4 species of willow cuttings to throw in there. See how it goes. Here’s step 1.
D1333708-69F4-4ECF-9F3B-5ED04EBFBB34.jpeg

ouc
New bridge went in by my farm & they took out about 200 yards of brush & trees that screened it. Took 4 species of willow cuttings to throw in there. See how it goes. Here’s step 1.
Ouch but those willows will be a good quick fix and I'm sure you'll have cedar backing them no time.

How long you soak the cuttings Skip ?
Im gonna try this..... when they start to throw out very tiny amount of roots - I’m putting em in. Like “bumps starting to sprout” - so barely anything. Seems like some folks let roots get longer. In this case- it’s lower bottomland (by bridge) so very moist. Think they will be just fine. I have not done many cuttings- maybe 3-4 times in my life. & I think this should work fine. I’ll fire back on some results.

Any suggestions on the best most economical way to replace tree tubes on a big tree planting I did quite a few years back? The original tubes are coming apart and although the trees are 8-10 ft or so they still are going to need protection from getting trashed during the fall.

Any suggestions on the best most economical way to replace tree tubes on a big tree planting I did quite a few years back? The original tubes are coming apart and although the trees are 8-10 ft or so they still are going to need protection from getting trashed during the fall.
Man that’s a good question !!!!!
spose “economical is the blue tree tubes.
Lemme ask u this.... are the tubes still on the trees & deer not rubbing them? If so- I’d leave them. A lot of those trees will hold the tubes until they crumble away. It’s really an issue of “by that time- are deer rubbing at all?” If no- ur done. If yes- protect of course.

Might look at blue tube options or maybe some mesh type covering around the areas that would get rubbed.

You’re at a great place with successful trees bursting the tubes- congrats!!!! Glad to see u finishing em right too. Post some pics of these rascals!!!

Tall annual weeds work as a moat around seedlings for me. It won’t be foolproof, but I’ve had a lot less damage from bucks as opposed to seedlings sitting wide open in cool season sod or something like that. I use roundup to spray early and let the warm season annuals fill in the gap.

What does the space around the seedlings look like now vegetation wise?

Update. Ready to go in ground!!! See the roots starting out on one I’m holding. Took bout a week inside in water.
652D9192-782F-4CC1-BE39-EF357064A14D.jpeg

I did a trial test on some that after 3 years in tubes, after removing tubes, I placed 3 electric fence posts around the trunks of several and left several "naked", none of the trees with posts were rubbed but many of the others were. I will be putting electric fence posts around ones I for sure don't want to lose. One can get electric fence posts for 99 cents or even less on craigslist in my experience. TSC price matches Orshelins 99 cents on their fence posts and theirs are better quality than Orshelins.

As a bonus, when one is finally done with the posts, they could be resold to get a little of the money back.

Thanks! Yeah the tree tubes are splitting and I keep trying to keep them together with zip ties and tape. They are mostly around field edges and such so any tree not protected gets destroyed. I do have some extras in the shop I may just slice open them and use a hole punch and zip tie them back together after I put it around the tree.

Going in up in MN...

Black Hills Spruce
Cedar
Swamp Bur Oak
Red Oak
Couple apple trees.

Its dry up here and we are ahead of schedule .

Starting about 5 varieties of crabapple from seed. A few pear & some heirloom apple trees. The trees might not be true to the parent tree but I’m just fine with that. I like having some varieties that do well in iowa & having the standard size tree. Lil diversity & grows a deeper tap root, bigger tree & lives longer. Takes a bit longer to get to maturity but worth the wait and the cost is ALMOST a big 0.
9167BEFD-16E8-485C-B758-E8F080FAC34B.jpg

Top Bottom