Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A lot of deer like this... thoughts???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
A see a fair amount every year with this. Dunno if it’s from antlers in guts, catching a fence, thorns or what?!?! Abscesses or hernia one of my buddies thought. What u all think & think this kinda stuff kills em???
ae72a9f48034d555c959ad021cbe7729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they all on the gut like this one or random?
Under side most common. I'll post some more....

Another example. I would say almost entirely gut area & those are ones that concern me.
b4a079856a61a793cd956b631ad0559e.jpg

Last edited:
When I closely inspected one of these once it was full on infection. My best guess is thorn. Entirely smelly gross nasty sheit

The two pics above make me think umbilical hernia.

It is possible that if the hernia "strangulates" bad enough the bowel will die and cause the pus filled rotten smelling yucky thing.

Reactions: 6x6
So- bottom line- u all think deer like this are goners or could survive? If thorn- clearly they could survive. The other things- thoughts?

I’ve saw growths like this between the front legs and once at the base of the neck. One of the members on here was a vet and called it something.

& another. Not best angle and not as big but still same thing.
4f47f2aab877a1ecdc4f3f0a53bd6cd4.jpg

Your neighbor's broadhead?
Not a chance. Most of em had it before season too. Neighbors would “always” tell me if they hit something.... good relationships as they know I would tell them if I found a wounded buck. 99.9% sure. :)
A buck we gutted the other day had scar material around belly. Looked those over and I’d guess they were old tine wounds from getting sucker stabbed by another buck. Or those stupid barbed wire fences ripping the gut area. Freed a doe last week (got video) that was stuck & barbs ripped guts right open. She didn’t make it obviously. Just wonder if clearing barb wire but barely catching some to tear some flesh might do it? Hernia & abscess still likely most of em but the thorns, horns & barb wire gotta be part of some of these rascal’s issues on occasion.

I know I'm not alone saying I've caught my share of pant legs on barb wire when climbing over a fence. Now think about all the times you've seen white belly hair on the top strand. And deer aren't gingerly climbing over like us. I'm sure it leads to some abscesses and possibly even hernias.

I’d say a combination of umbilical hernias and just fence n battle wounds

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Here’s the vid I was referring to. Not a great example and clearly extreme. But- dang- that barbed wire ripped those guts wide open. Pretty messed up. I tried to save this one & hope it ran off but realized it was a goner.

I’ve found maybe 6 deer hung in fences, not one survived to my knowledge. Strands of barb over woven might need “reimagined”.

Top Bottom