Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys

marshall

PMA Member
Just curious how those of you who use decoys for deer carry/pack them in and out efficiently. I was given one a few years ago but never used it because it seems awkward and noisy to carry. I have wanted to try it but haven't for that reason. It also takes up alot of space in the garage...

Any ideas?

I only use them on field edges or really open areas where they can see them from quite a ways off and I can carry them in fully assembled over my shoulder without making any noise.
I rattled this deer in part way last year but he stopped and hung up about 75yds out he never would have closed the distance without the decoy
2a09300b913e95a7f2422ef6b319f059.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I do what RutnStrut does too. I have shot a few nice bucks using a decoy in the past and usually use 2 or 3 times per year. Open fields only.

Mine came in a giant sack with backpack straps. I've carried it in that and also dropped it off a few hours ahead of time with a ranger and also gotten ranger rides to the stand with it. Ranger traffic is common due to farmer and always use it on a field edge

I had a bobbin head buck once. Last time I used it, an old guy stopped on the road to video tape this buck that "just moved his head & wouldn't move". The guy filmed for about 1/2 hour. I drove to his house & asked what he was doing. I laughed & then sold the decoy on craigslist.

Used one when I was a young & dumb hunter. Because I was young & dumb- did more harm than good as I didn’t Use in right setting.
Don’t use now but like above, I’d only try it when had a huge expanse of area where the visibility is very far. My second criteria would be low deer populations.
I’ve had a lot of success with calling in those times when deer could be pulled in, so no decoy needed. But again- might be neat if trying new & open area. Vast open cow pasture situation comes to mind.

I have a couple trees stands that are literally out in the middle of no where, but have big draws, or creeks aka travel corridors withing eyesight about 200 yards. I've used the Boss Buck for a couple years. I really like it, I've decoyed in a couple monsters 170-185 inch bucks, Normally I see movement, chasing, bucks cruising, and I can grunt to get their attention,(they look over) then the Boss draws them in, I only have 1 of his antlers on him because I think it can be a little intimidating.

My biggest complaint is how bulky the boss buck is.

I carry it over my shoulders fully assembled. I repeat what other guys say and only use it in open areas. I’ve had mixed encounters with them from bucks blowing it up to does blowing at it all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad to see this post. For the last few years I have wanted to give decoy’s a try on some of my properties. I am more torn on which one I want and admittedly have spent way too much time researching them. I am leaning towards picking up the Primos Scarface today over the Flambeau Big Boss. Mainly due to the size of the Flambeau. I feel and agree that it looks to be a bit intimidating to bucks vs the Primos one.

I am glad to see this post. For the last few years I have wanted to give decoy’s a try on some of my properties. I am more torn on which one I want and admittedly have spent way too much time researching them. I am leaning towards picking up the Primos Scarface today over the Flambeau Big Boss. Mainly due to the size of the Flambeau. I feel and agree that it looks to be a bit intimidating to bucks vs the Primos one.

Ole Scarface gets into plenty of butt kickins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Carry lite buck decoy. I don't believe they even make it anymore. I didn't like packing it in the bag due to the noise assembling it in the field. So I put it together permanently using silicone with studs and nuts through the legs. Now I'm able to carry the decoy over my shoulder making little to no noise. Also being assembled carrying in give me the ability to drop to a knee if I see a buck cruising, and use the decoy for cover in case the buck comes to calling.

Top Bottom