Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

03 Archery Deer

K

Kaylray

Hey Guys,

Great site! I read all the time but never say much. I guess I am the quiet shy type?

I always like seeing pictures of what people shoot and thought I would send in my 03 archery deer.

Shot around 4:20pm November 1st. He field dressed at 235.
beerchug.gif

Attachments

• 35950-03archery3.jpg
    35950-03archery3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 127
that is a great deer HornTickler!! huge body and great tine length!! how about a story for us all??

congrats.

OK Muddy here it is......

My wife and I got a sitter and went out together last night. It has been a long time since we were able to hunt together. Usually we have to trade off keeping an eye on the Kids.

We headed out to the stands at 2:30. I was going to put her in my stand but she wanted to hunt a friend of mines stand about 300 yards south of me.

I settled in and waited for things to quiet down and my time to rattle. My time came and went with no results. About 4:00 a doe and a fawn came in and browsed. They walked right thru my wind several time and did not seem to detect me. Shortly after their arival a small 4x4 came in. The does eventually wandered off behind me leaving the little buck browsing around my stand. He too eventually wandered the same direction as the does. I watched him as he dissapeared behind me.

Soon after he was out of site I heard a crash and here comes the little 4x4 back. He stopped behind me in the brush and was watching something behind him. Another crash and here comes the doe and yearling. they continued on past the buck and stopped in front of me bringing the little buck with them.

They continued to act nervous and watch the direction behind me. I knew there had to be a buck in there somewhere.

He finally stepped out 25 yards away and commenced making a scrape. Of course he was in a spot where I could not shoot. All I could do was watch him for about 5 minutes while he made his scrape. When he started to move it was in the wrong direction, away from me! I grunted, he stopped and looked then started to walk away. I tickled the horns toghether, again he stopped and looked but eventually walked away and quickly dissapeared. I thought "oh well" the rut is just beginning and I will have more opportunities.

Shortly after the big guy dissapeared I seen a deer coming from where the big buck dissapeared. Turned out to be a little fork horn. He he had his ears pinned back and walked over to where the big guy made his scrape. He sniffed it a bit and seem to loose interest and walked right under my stand dissapearing in the opposite direction.

He no sooner dissapeared and I could hear deer running in the direction that the big buck went. Here comes the doe and the fawn. I knew something had to be up so I grabbed my bow. Sure enough he was right behind them. The does crossed my lane at 20 yards. I could see him throught the brush coming. I wait for him and draw right before he enters the shooting lane, of course he stops. I wait with bow drawn, he is still stopped. Just as I am thinking I am going to have to let down he steps forward. Now I got to stop him. I make the most god awful excuse for grunt you could imagine! I was amased he stopped, but he did. I put the pin on him and let'er go. Thud...deer running everywhere. I could seem him bounding off with my arrow about half way in him. It was a little further forward than I would have liked to seen. I was sure it was behind the shoulder cuz I did not here the crack of a solid bone hit.

I got down and went to where I shot him and started following what I thought was the path he took. After 50 yards and no blood I was a little concerned. Eventually I did find his trail with blood but not a lot? It was not fun to track, very tiny specks. I did find some small specks on a tree and knew he was hit in a lung but was surprised at the lack of blood. Another 40 yards or so of sparse blood and it finally started to pick up. Eventually that sinking feeling started to be replaced as the blood got better and better. I finally found him about 250 yards from my stand?

I was very curious as to the arrow placement and damage. The arrow hit just behind the shoulder and pierced the front lobes of both lungs. It amazed me that he went as far as he did and that the trail took so long to pick up! He wound up dieing about 70 yards from my wifes stand.

Now I get to watch the kids until she gets hers.

great story, thanks for sharing!! you konw you could be a cameraman for the wife also!! it's just as much fun as being the shooter!!

congrats again, great deer.
grin.gif

Congrats on a nice deer. Have to show us what the wife shoots when she gets one.

Welcome to the board...Awesome buck, he's really got some charactor. I imagine with your arrow not getting a passthrough, the chest cavity had to fill up before you started getting a decent blood trail. It's amazing, the willpower some deer possess, to travel so much further than others when fatally wounded. Nice tracking job & good luck to your wife.

Congrats on a real trophy
waytogo.gif

TB

[ QUOTE ]
Nice tracking job & good luck to your wife.

Congrats on a real trophy
waytogo.gif

TB

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Two Beards....... As far as my wife goes, I quit wishing her luck a long time ago!

HT

P.S. You should see her turkeys!
bow.gif

Attachments

• 36041-Pam2.JPG
    36041-Pam2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 176
Welcome horntickler and congratulations on a great buck. I was wondering if your wife would mind getting on line and giving the rest of us some good advise.
bow.gif

Welcome and thanks for sharing a great story.

I guess you don't have any trouble talking your wife into another headmount on the wall.
jester.gif

I'm with ironwoodhead. get your wife on here to give us some hints and advise since onecam won't cough up any secrets....
busted.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

Can she operate a boat?
grin.gif

BTW: Great photo of you and your buck. Kudo's to the camera guy!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can she operate a boat?
grin.gif

BTW: Great photo of you and your buck. Kudo's to the camera guy!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomo,

I may not be the best boat driver, but I can cape out my own deer!
bootyshake.gif
busted.gif

893shocked-thumb[1].gif
Wow! What at nice buck. Great story too! I'm impressed with the quality of deer you and your wife have shot. I can relate to the way you stopped your buck to shoot him. I've had some pretty sad sounding grunts too. I think the adrenaline and my dry throat from a "little buck fever" has done it to me. That's what makes this sport so exciting. Congrats again!
peace.gif

Top Bottom