1/5/19 Matched Set

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by big+tall+mass, Jan 8, 2019.

1. big+tall+mass

big+tall+mass T250 for president

I haven't contributed much for quite awhile, so I figured I'd give you all something to look at.
    Found this set on the way to the stand on Saturday laying on a east-facing hillside on the east side of a north-south fence on a corn field edge. About stepped on the 1st one and stood there in disbelief. I've never found sheds this early, mainly cause I never look for another 1 1/2 months ;).

I have no history or pics of this buck, but I sure hope he isn't injured, and he makes it through to next season.

I scored his left side at 63 1/8 and the right at 62.

Do any of you guys think the early cold weather we had made some get stressed and drop early? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Nice!

4. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

Yes, I think really cold weather can cause them to drop early sometimes. November and a early December seemed to be much colder than normal this year.

Daver likes this.
  5. LYON

LYON PMA Member

I would agree that cold weather can possibly have some effect on when they drop, but I believe each deer is different and will drop within a week or two of the same time each year. That's what I've seen from year to year on particular deer that I've followed anyways. Congrats on the find! That's a sweet set!

6. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

Does anyone think that... Darwinism could make bucks start to shed earlier and earlier every year? I guess I won't be afraid to wrap a antlerless tag around a shed buck if I see it earlier in the year. Shed bucks are the ultimate cull buck in my opinion especially if they drop before new years eve, get them out of here.

7. Deer&Ducks

Deer&Ducks PMA Member

I’ve been bird hunting pretty hard for the last 2 weeks and have already found a pile of fresh drops, weird year for sure....

8. Kaleb

Kaleb Active Member

What?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedog69 likes this.
  9. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

If they are shedding earlier its either environmental or genetic.

If a buck is genetically pre-disposed to drop his horns early every year, and doesn't get shot, either because you think he is a doe and you are buck hunting or because you are horn hunting and know he is a shed buck. Lives to breed early shedding horns next year into the next generation. Eventually you have a herd of early shedding bucks. I don't know if its genetic or environment or both. Either-way at my place if a buck drops his antlers during hunting season and gets shot I won't be too butt hurt over it. What good does it do to grow big horns if they fall off before you can shoot him?

10. rutnstrut

rutnstrut PMA Member

Chances are youve already had 3 months to shoot him... Shooting a shed buck on purpose sounds crazy to me, unless its a junk buck to begin with and you know its him then I suppose getting a junk buck out of the area without burning a buck tag would make sense

Rjack and Kaleb like this.
  11. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

It can sound crazy to you, I get it. Breeding a herd of deer who's antlers fall off earlier and earlier sounds crazy to me. When someone shows me proof that it's not a trait to be passed down, I will change my mind. But until then I won't get my panties in a bunch if one happens to get whacked in the process. He should have held his horns longer.

Sent from my SM-J737R4 using Tapatalk

12. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Bucks shed early usually due to stress. It could be the deer has the common cold. It could be he had an abundance of does to breed. He may have fought hard with another buck who was aggressive. He may have had a minor or major injury. That’s why bucks shed early. Stress. Not genetics.

13. tracker

tracker Life Member

I have seen alot of shed bucks but yet to find an antler on the ground yet

14. DarkArcher

DarkArcher Lung Buster

That's a great find.

The last night of season I sat on a field that ended up with 10-12 bucks packing both sides still and couldn't see a single shed buck of 10 other deer in the field. Running my cams personally I am not finding many shed bucks but I know others are.

15. muddy

muddy Administrator

Cull bucks because they shed early? LoL

southcentral, boneman and Tim Hull like this.
  16. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

Laugh if you want to, I could care less. If they truly do drop within a week more or less of the same date every year. You let the early droppers go every year what do you think will happen? What do you care what I do at my place anyway? Some of you guys act like every buck is going to be the next 200 incher. Here is another genetic shocker that I believe, not every buck will be the next 200 incher. As a matter of fact most of them won't! I don't want bucks shedding their antlers in early Dec. I don't target shed bucks but I won't shed a tear if one gets whacked by a shotgun hunter thinking its a doe. There will be another one to take his place. Its not that hard to understand.

17. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

^^We had a buck on our property that monitored very closely for 4 years. Not once did he shed within a week of the same date every year... One year I picked up one side on Jan 1, the next year I picked up the same side on Feb 19, the following year was Feb 2, and then he was killed Jan 8 with both sides firmly attached by the neighbor. The year he shed early, we had an ice storm that made it hard to get food. I know the dates he shed, because I ran 14 cameras on 67 acres to keep an eye on him very closely. He was a 180 gross typical.
    I do however agree, not all deer will be 200 inchers.

18. muddy

muddy Administrator

I'm not laughing at you and could give 2 toots what you do on your own property. I dont own property and dont "manage for big bucks" where I do hunt. If a deer makes me grab my bow over my binoculars then it's game on, end of story. I've accidentally shot 3 shed bucks and a handful of button bucks in my life, I didnt lose an ounce of sleep on any of them, it happens. I just think the concept of culling early shedders is a little silly is all, dont get too bent out of shape. And if I thought every buck was going to be 200" I wouldn't have killed all those 130s-170s!

Hunt however makes you happiest.

19. ShedHunter1

ShedHunter1 Active Member

Great match set!!
    This is a very interesting topic on killing early shedders.

20. southcentral

southcentral Member

To target a shed buck in my opinion is nuts. 50% of the genes come from the mother, so just because that buck bred a doe, you can not say that the offspring will drop early. With that being said, sod savage is right, it’s his right to shoot whatever legal deer he wants. There are way to many variables that go in to why that buck shed early to be able to definitely say it is genetically bred into that particular deer. I’ve never paid close enough attention from year to year to have an answer to the tendencies of individual deer dropping on any type of schedule. I would have to say there is no schedule if I were pressed, but I did have a deer on my farm years ago that was always still holding at the beginning of turkey season. But that does not mean he had a certain week he was going to drop, just that he held them way longer than most. And to target a “cull” shed buck would be very difficult. In most cases I would not be able to tell one shed buck from another with the exceptions of mature/immature or any obvious markings. In my opinion just too risky.

Rjack likes this.
  21. chipterp

chipterp PMA Member

Lol I guess everybody has their opinions I had to read the comments again to make sure I was seeing it right.