Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11/06/16

Bowtech84

Got it done yesterday! My brother and I set out to hunt the same farm yesterday. The plan was he would sit in a funnel on the northeast corner of the farm and I would borrow his sticks and stand and do my first hang and hunt on the south end of the farm. I left early so I could try to get the stand hung. I got it up and have to admit it's a pretty slick set up but the problem is shooting lanes. I climbed down four times to clear more lanes. One of the times I was on the ground sawing away and a 2.5 year old cruiser about ran me over. Anyway I get a few holes cut for shooting and settle in for the afternoon. The deer were active yesterday and my brother and I had been texting back and fourth about what we were seeing. At 5 my brother text me and said he just rattled in the wide ten and hit him but wasn't sure about the shot so he planned to get down and check blood and back out. The wide ten is a buck my brother and I know well. We've had multiple run ins with him and plenty of trail cam pics the last couple years. I text him back and said I was going to finish my hunt then I would help him. Shortly after that all hell broke loose in the timber and four does ran by me. I could hear crashing coming down the hill behind them so I grabbed my bow and before I knew it all I could see was a rack headed right at me zigging in and out of the thick stuff. He got to the base of my tree and started doing circles around it with his nose to the ground. I was merpin and bwatn doing everything I could to get him to stop but he wouldn't. I finally just yelled hey and he paused long enough for me to get an arrow in him. My first shot spined him so I put another one in him behind the shoulder. He got back to his feet and made it about 60 yards and crashed. I texted my brother to call me but as soon as the text went through my phone died so I gathered everything and went over to check him out. When I got to him I couldn't believe it but it was the wide ten my brother just told me he shot. At that point I was thinking he had made a false identification so I headed for the truck hoping I could catch him before he headed back for town. I ended up meeting him on the road and asked him how sure he was that he hit the wide ten. He was positive. I said are you sure because I just killed him. He followed me back to the buck and we looked him over and sure enough he had hit him high above the spine. We were sitting over a 1/4 mile apart and 8 minutes had passed from the time he sent the text saying he hit him to the time I texted him saying to call me after the buck was down. He was a pretty good sport about it and even helped me drag him out. I don't know what the odds of that happening are but it's a story neither one of us will ever forget. Congrats to those who have tagged - good luck to those still trying and thanks to those who share!

Rule of first blood..... Congrats to your brother. Lol jk

Hellva buck congrats great story.

Great deer congrats!! Nothing better than hunting with your brothers memories and stories that will last a lifetime! How close was your brothers above the spine and your spine shot?

Last edited:
10inBrows said:
Great deer congrats!! Nothing better than hunting with your brothers memories and stories that will last a lifetime! How close was your brothers above the spine and your spine shot?

He caught my brother drawing and jumped the string. His shot was directly above the crease in the armpit. My shot was straight down and hit him a little further back. Half inch lower and my brother would of ended the story.

Top Bottom