Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-20-15 Buck

BJohnson

This buck was seen from the tree on 10-4. With the angle, I didn't appreciate how solid of a buck he was until he reached my food plot at 75 yards and I could look him over with a flatter angle through the binos.

Oct420pass_zpshnlop7kb.jpg

I was hunting a different buck early in the season seen on opening day. The other buck basically disappeared during the rut with no more sightings from the tree.

I had a good encounter on 11-19 in this same general area but could not get the buck to stop after mouth grunting at him loudly twice. Very frustrated after that and at a ton of hours into the season, I decided to be a little less selfish as family time with out-of-state older kids needed to be a priority next week. Four antlerless deer approached my stand yesterday around 0900, just before I was considering getting down and heading to work due to a shift in the winds. They stayed upwind and shortly after the 9 pt from 10-04 approached to check out the does. Shot was approx. 25 yards and looked solid in the follow-through. He stumbled around 50, staggered another 25 and dropped. After getting my gear together and recovering the arrow, I followed blood in the dusting of snow that was starting to accumulate but he wasn't in the spot I saw him drop. Blood was good and 70 yards later he was down for good.

Niner20201520b_zpsimrgkj3p.jpg

Niner%202015%20c_zpsuz85nj4n.jpg

Pretty convinced I have a set of sheds from 2012 from this same buck. My guess at that time was a dandy 2 yr old so my best estimate on this buck is a solid mature 5 yr old.

Last edited:
Wow, great buck...looked real similar to a buck I was hunting yesterday morning in Allamakee County.

Top Bottom