Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

19pt taken in Cedar county

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to sound like an ass but maybe I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on with that statement!

"No son, don't shoot that mature buck That QDM stuff is a bunch of crap. You need to pay your dues boy. Shoot that forkie instead."

[ QUOTE ]
I think the youth season is nothing more than a chance for an adult to set up on a big buck and have the kids shoot it for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe it just means more for a parent to see their child take the big buck then for them to do it themselves.

I don't believe that statement for a minute G6. My daughter passed a 4pt Buck opening weekend and a mature doe at 20-30 yards, and on the 5th day she shot a buck we'd just seen two nights earlier. She showed patience and disipline for not shooting a deer opening day and she was rewarded for it!

Safety is another reason for the Youth hunts.

My .02

Congrats to the Boy!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's nice a kid shot a nice buck....BUT! I don't want to sound like an ass but maybe I am.
grin.gif
I don't think these kids are anything more than a trigger boy or girl, even though I enjoyed taking my nephew out turkey hunting when he was young to kill his first turkey. (he worked for it just ask him) It was however done during the regular season as it should be. I think the youth season is nothing more than a chance for an adult to set up on a big buck and have the kids shoot it for them. Don't get me wrong I think it's great to take the kids out, like I said, I did it myself but DURING the REGULAR season.

When a kid shoots something that big for his first deer what is he learning, hard work and perseverance..... I think not. I have always believed in earning what you have be it deer hunting or working for something else. Oh and pray tell, why do we now need an Oct. youth pheasant hunt? I'll now shut up.
grin.gif
Oh glad to be back here checking things out.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto..Defintely congrats to this kid, and its great that he took, but 99% of these kids are triggermen. Muzzleloader..September..Helen Keller could shoot a Booner during the Iowa youth hunt. Maybe i was just raised differently, my old man let me do my own thing at age 12, i picked where I sat and did whatever scouting i wanted done. once again, not trying to take away from this kids accomplishment, and not in jealous in anyway, but i put more stock in a kid going out and shooting a basket rack on his own than an 8 year old pulling the trigger on a buck that daddy did everything but on.

[ QUOTE ]

Or maybe it just means more for a parent to see their child take the big buck then for them to do it themselves.

[/ QUOTE ] Then why not during the regular season or would it cut into the parents precious hunting time? Yes I have been called an assh#le by friends.
grin.gif
Got any comments on the Oct. youth pheasant season?

[ QUOTE ]
Then why not during the regular season or would it cut into the parents precious hunting time?

[/ QUOTE ]
That may fit some but not all.

Maybe that's the only time some kids are available to hunt, my daughter starts Basketball next weekend and it goes until January.

If they didn't have a youth deer hunt, I would have missed spending that time with her before I deploy this month to the Middle East.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then why not during the regular season or would it cut into the parents precious hunting time?

[/ QUOTE ]
That may fit some but not all.

Maybe that's the only time some kids are available to hunt, my daughter starts Basketball next weekend and it goes until January.

If they didn't have a youth deer hunt, I would have missed spending that time with her before I deploy this month to the Middle East.

[/ QUOTE ] Yours is a special case John. Stay safe in your tour over there, sorry to hear your going to miss the hunting season.

Here's my thought. According to nationwide information, the average age of hunters is increasing while the total numbers of hunters are decreasing. If you want to get kids interested in hunting in order to preserve our hunting heritage, you must make QUALITY time available for them to hunt. Most youth seasons are early in the year with warmer weather, which for most kids, is a more enjoyable experience. Another concern is for safety. Adults can give their full attention to the youth hunter. Also, less hunters in the woods, less chance of accidents.

The ONLY reason anyone objects to youth season is out of pure selfishness, nothing else.

In Missouri, the youth portion of the rifle season is only two days in early October. I wish it was longer for them.

The youth season is a good thing I believe, but it also gets abused in so many ways. Honestly, how much do you think a "190 inch" deer will mean to a ten year old kid when they did no homework to get it. When you're that age a deer is a deer. I think the size of the deer is somthing that should grow with a hunters experiences. I think that's a huge part of Hunting. That all gets taken away when parents do EVERYTHING for them. Somtimes people just get too caught up in the size of the rack. I know that when I scout a deer and hunt it hard and finally get it harvested, it means ten times more to me than one that I shoot on post during shotgun season.

[ QUOTE ]
The ONLY reason anyone objects to youth season is out of pure selfishness, nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ] So anyone that disagrees with you is selfish? Well if I have to use a kid to kill a big buck, which happens more than not from what I see, I would have to evaluate my hunting ethics. I would be more than happy to see a kid shoot a big buck or help them do it but it isn't the right way to teach them hunting ethics or self satisfaction by using their own skills. We're just going to have to disagree with each other and leave it at that. BTW what about the early pheasant season?
grin.gif

G6,

I don't see why pheasant is any different. Or are we using our kids during the youth pheasant season to kill that monster rooster we've been scouting all summer long
confused.gif

It's about the kids. Giving them an opportunity to get a taste for hunting deer/pheasant/duck, etc. without having to deal with the madness of opening day. You seem to be under the impression that nearly every dad taking his kid youth hunting is trying to use the kid to kill a big buck, and that's just not the case. Look at the harvests from this site. Yeah, there have been a couple of great bucks taken, which is awesome, but there have also been a BUNCH of does, button bucks, forkies, etc. shot. My son will be 9 when he gets his first youth license next year, and I'm not the least bit concerned about him shooting a big buck, even though I know there will be several in the area. He can shoot whatever he wants, and I've got a hunch the first fat doe in the chicory will be in trouble. For me, it's all about quality time with my kids. Every time I take them hunting, fishing, golfing, whatever, it makes a difference. Take care.

NWBuck

I don't disagree with you NWBuck, I see nothing wrong with taking the kids out for quality time spent. I see those kids with the small bucks and does and hope that they learn from the experience and want to continue hunting to preserve the sport and yes I know that is the WHOLE reason for the youth season. I think if it were me I'd intentionally set them up where I know they would kill a smaller deer and let them work for a big buck, but that's just me.

Congrats to the kid!
The only reason it turned to a sad thread is the stupid argueing. Nothing wrong with a kid shooting a big deer, I wish I coulda when I was young. You hear a lot about young kids shooting big deer, the thing is, when the little deer are shot, its just as much of a trophy to the kids, and seems like nothing is said. Honestly, if it was a forkie, or a monster, congrats. And I feel, that if a parent wants to put the work in for a kid to get a big deer, even better. To me, shows a true love, and unselfishness of a parent. And it may be the only chance a kid gets at that big of a deer. They dont come around everyday. Must my .02...and maybe none of it makes sense

That thing is impressive! Anyone else notice that threads lately are going down hill fast
confused.gif
Congrats to the little man!

Way to go to that little boy, I'm sure he already wants to go again, but now he is going to have to learn patience and wait til next year. Glad to see some youths having fun and getting in the outdoors, before the woods are crawling with people. I have one statement for all of the members here who agree or disagree with things that happen or don't happen. Everything that does happen, happens for a reason!

Trophies are in the eye of the shooter. reguardless if it is basket or a booner. My son is 11 and has shot 4 deer all being doe's. He has worked his tail off trying to get a nice buck. He holds the same values as I do when it comes to the size of the buck he will take. I let him decide what he is going to shoot. They only reason I am along is for support. He picks his own setups and which gun he will use. If he was to take a 190" buck I would be extremely happy. I think the reason so many people are having problems with this thread is because of jealousy. G6 have you ever went on a outfitted hunt? That would be the same as taking a youth out hunting and having everything scouted for them. You go to a outfitter and he tells you where the animals are what they have been seeing and you wait were they tell you and you pull the trigger. So the outfitter has done all the work for you and by your own words you are the trigger man for the outfitter so he can brag that he just took $2000 or more from you so you could be the trigger man. Come on let the kids have some fun too.

I hate to add to the disagreement but have to.
blush.gif
We have no youth season, nor can kids here even hunt until they're 12....which in my opinion is rediculous.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. I know alot of guys who would use their kid to tag a buck early witha gun. However from a personal viewpoint I can see the benefits. The weather is nicer in Sept. here than later in the yr. I have very little time to hunt myself after Nov rolls around and it would be nice to already have my boy or boys done before the rifle hunters start cruising the countryside and plus..by 12 I'll assume they'll be involved in other things and basically unable to hunt by that time of yr anyways.
So...anyways, depite the fact that some may abuse it...I'd be all for it here..............and it wouldn't be so one of my kids could shoot me a big buck. And if they wanted to pass up a dozen 120-140 class bucks while waiting for a good one...good for them......b/c isn't one thing we have learned.." you can't shoot a big buck if you shoot him when he's little" Just b/c most of us cut our teeth on does and "dinkers" doesn't mean we all have to.
crazy.gif

By the way....I give a big congrats to the kid and his dad....he'll have a hard time bettering that buck but that will be half the fun.
laugh.gif

Top Bottom