Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2 Switchgrass questions

MN Slick

PMA Member
1. I have a hillside that has natural warm season grass on it that I'd like to thicken it up by spraying the cool season grass/weeds as soon as they green up in the spring. Will dormant wsg spring back up after running a 4 wheeler/tank sprayer over it or will I have a series of "tire tracks"?

2. In another spot I have areas where the cedars are too thick so my plan is to thin them out thereby opening up some areas to frost seed switchgrass. Will the switch grow in an area formerly covered in cedars?

Thanks guys. Trying to enourage more deer to bed on my farm.

Dave

1. I have a hillside that has natural warm season grass on it that I'd like to thicken it up by spraying the cool season grass/weeds as soon as they green up in the spring. Will dormant wsg spring back up after running a 4 wheeler/tank sprayer over it or will I have a series of "tire tracks"?

The "dead straw" that stood thru the winter will fall anyway but new NWSG will re-sprout from the roots and come up every spring anyway...tires or no...;)

2. In another spot I have areas where the cedars are too thick so my plan is to thin them out thereby opening up some areas to frost seed switchgrass. Will the switch grow in an area formerly covered in cedars?

Switchgrass needs to be burned every few years so planting it among trees is usually not a good idea. It can be done but it won't last for ever so I usually encourage brushy growth in places like that.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works out long term...:)

DT, good point on the burning aspect. I think I will just thin them out and let nature take it's course to thicken the open areas up. I blieve the ground under pines becomes quite acidic which suppresses underbrush growth. Are cedars similar? I'd had to open areas up to sunlight and have nothing grow.

DT, good point on the burning aspect. I think I will just thin them out and let nature take it's course to thicken the open areas up. I blieve the ground under pines becomes quite acidic which suppresses underbrush growth. Are cedars similar? I'd had to open areas up to sunlight and have nothing grow.

I don't think cedars areas bad as pines but still acidic to some extent i'm sure.

You might try broadcasting some pel lime in the openings...;)

Top Bottom