Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 my first year bow hunting

SeIowa69

i want to start out by saying merry Xmas and happy new year everyone!! i am little late on the post Ive been pretty busy lately. so here we go after 1 1/2 years of guys at work hounding me to by a bow knowing how much i love the outdoors, i finally broke down and tell u what i love it wish i wood of got one ten years ago!! I ended up getting a Mission Venture, Rip Cord Rest, Apache Stabilizer, Axion sight, Apex Quiver, Tru-Fire release, G5 peep, Easton Beman Arrows(bone collectors), and Swhacker broad heads

Oct 1. opening morning i didn't see anything only hunted 2 hours tho had to go home and get sum sleep, i work the gravel yard shift, that afternoon i missed a doe a 25 yards shot under her, i was shaking so bad i shouldn't of even shoot but oh well life goes on, that following Friday.

Oct 4 i decided to go out that afternoon right after a heavy down pour, got to parking lot @ 4 pm walked down the hill, crossed the creek and looked up and bam a young doe standing there 20 yards butt to me head turn around looking, i couldn't believe i walked right up on her( heavy rain rain made the woods quite enuff), i figured id try to knock and arrow and draw back and shoot her y not huh, well i got a arrow knocked up, but guess were my release was in my back pack( rookie mistake) so i drew back free hand anyways and shot i missed but she didn't move so i knocked another arrow drew back and stepped to the side try and get a better broadside shot smoked her this time ran 20 yards and watched her die, i had a dead deer by 425 i couldn't believe wasn't even to my stand yet. it was public land deer so that made it that much more of a trophy in my eyes!!
picture.php

i hunted 4 or 5 more time on that same public land and 4 times on sum private the guys from work had seen maybe 10 deer out off all them hunts mostly does and one small buck, i hung the bow up for a couple weekend to get my waterfowl kills in, my brother was smashing the ducks so i figured id get in on it while they were still here!! had a blast best duck hunting Ive ever experienced!! also shot my first green head!

NOV 13, 14, and 15 i took off of work to do sum all day hunts 13th and the 14th didn't c a deer i couldn't believe it fig the rut was in full swing!!but i guess i was wrong or was in a bad spot,etc the morning of the 15th i got out there late sat in a different stand didn't get to it untill 630, set out all my scents and got sat down, every 30 mins or so i did sum doe bleets and wood rattled a little bit, i was starting to get down on my self, then out of nowhere were i spot a deer 60-70 yard thru brush couldn't tell what it quite was so i grunted once or twice and it came in on a string, walked right by @ 20 yards smoked it double lungs ran 40 yards spun around and dropped, my first deer out of a tree stand, and first butten buck with a doe, its amazing how fast things can turn around in the woods.
picture.php

thanksgiving week i headed out to des moines with only my buck tag left, me and my brother hunted Nov 27 afternoon out of a ground blind we seen one doe walking out in the bean field, that next morning we deciced to hunt out of sum tree stands he knew of out there, we got out there bright and early, sat from 530 until 8 with out seeing a animal, 8 30 or so about 60 yards in front of me 3 does come out of the woods in to the beans stopped looked around, then headed down the bean edge arounded to 150 yards stopped again, a descent 8 pts came out and followed the same path them 3 does did, i gave him the the old grunt he stoped looked around and didnt give a rats ass about me trotted off to catch up with them does!! texted my bro told him buck and 3 does headed ur way get ready well hour and a half later he never seen so we called it a day. we never went back out spent next two days chasing ring necks we got 2 out of 4 guys in 2 days the numbers r so low its unreal!!

DEC 3RD i got off work at 530am (was really foggy)and decided to hunt this stand i found last year shed hunting (hopeing it was still there)on a piece of public land ten miles from work 4 a couple hours, because i knew shot gun was about to start and it was gonna get colder then shit next couple days, i got 2 parking lot 550 sprayed down really really good scene i was coming from work,got to stand at 610 set up all my piss and scents got sat down @ 645 i doe bleated 3or4 times, half hour or so later did it again, 8 o'clock i lightly hit the rattle bag and herd a stick break to my left behind me, slow turned around to look and it was a buck 40 yards, my Adrenalin instantly hit me like a mack truck, i started to shake, breathing hard, i mind racing 100 mph i believe its called BUCK FEVER!!!! lol he was starting to head away from me so i grunted once he stopped looked around but keep on walking away am thinking to my self noooooo heres my only buck and hes leaveing, so i pointed the tube like it was coming from behinded me, and BAM he turned around on a dime, v lined straight to me got with in 20 yards and stopped looked up right at me in the eyes it felt like, stood there for maybe 15 20 sec but felt like for ever, he sniffed up the old buck bomb doe p, still looking at me, am really shaking like a leaf by now, eye to eye with a descent 8 pointer. he kind of spooked but only ran 20 yards around to the right in front of me then he got down wind of the piss and really started sniffing hard n stoped, i couldnt draw back it was way to open right there he wood of seen me and jolted, so i just keep waiting waiting waiting well he finally started to walk to my right some more n got behind a tree, so i drew back he stepped out at 35 yards quartering away and i let the swhacker fly he ran 60 yards in a half ass circle n fell over, i had to hang my bow up, and get ahold of my self, i couldn't believe it i just shot my first buck with bow 3 days left before the split on public land!!!! it was one the greatest feelings ever!! i will never forgot it!!
picture.php

he turned out being a 11 pointer didnt notice all the junk on bases and the broken split brow on the left side
picture.php

picture.php

17 3/4 outside spread
picture.php
thats my niece Hayden 3, she's a future huntress, she's all about trying to help me clean stuff from fish to waterfowl to deer she don't care, u got to start um young to grow them up right!!!

picture.php

I hope u guys enjoyed my post, best of luck to anyone else out there holding on to tags!!

Forgeting ur release isnt a rookie mistake i still do it once in a while and iv been bowhunting for ten years now. I think everyone does it here and there.

Thanks guys!! am more then hooked I've turned into a bow junkie in less then 4 months it's almost all I think about!! Is it sept yet? I already got some new spots in mind for stands lol

Thanks again. The 3 buddy's I hunt with on private couldn't believe that I shot 3 on public let alone a buck!! it all boils down to dedication, a lot of time in a tree and lots n lots of luck ! Tj good luck to u next year bow hunting a blast!!

Top Bottom