Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 Sask whitetail

SaskGuy

It has been a pretty tough season for me. Despite my very best efforts, lots of scouting diff't properties, trail cams, I have been unable to find a jaw dropping deer. I realize that eventually one is bound to show up on one or more of those properties during the course of November. What I also realize is that I will not be there when they do b/c I'll be at work or in a hockey rink with my kids. Knowing that I pulled the pin last night on a buck that I should maybe have let live.

But that is a moot point, b/c I didn't.:drink2: My kids have definately been chipped from the same stone as I and have been telling me to shoot a buck that they have been calling "double patches", because of his cape. Truthfully, I'm super happy they notice things like that.

Yesterday afternoon I went down to a friend's property and while walking in to set up I noticed a buck already on the edge of the timber, it appeared to be looking at me. I dropped down in to some high grass and brush and simply sat there on my knees. Eventually he became comfortable and out he walked. I then realized it was the buck the kids had been telling me I should shoot. B/C I had a video camera with me I was able to get some video of him feeding my way. I am not really sure how I got away with it as my set up wasn't even a set up of any kind. I believe he was slowly working his way over in an attempt to get downwind, which he would have in about 50 yards. I also knew that I needed to do one of two things and they were:
a) stand up and blow him out b/c there was no way I was going to have a successful hunt for the duration of the night set up where and how I was or
b) shoot him

I ended up sending a text home to ask for some advice on what to do. I think their faces show the answer.

He didn't really change at all from last yrs shed in terms of inches. Lost a little length, gained a little mass. Maybe he was never going to be a big scorer. That's what I'm telling myself anyways.

That's a great buck and I'd be as happy as your rascals on that dude, well done!

That is a great buck Kaare! no need to talk yourself into why you should have shot him. He is a dandy! Love those big smiles on the boys faces. What a pretty cape on him too! Congrats :way:

Congrats Kaare. What a neat cape on that rascal. I have actually never even seen a double-throat in the hoof. Any idea what percentage of whitetails have that characteristic ??

Congrats, My Buddy Shot One With ADouble Throat Patch Last Yr, And We Have Another This Yr On Camera, But He Will Be Passed On For Atleast Two More Yes, He Is Only A Two Yr old

SaskGuy strikes again! What a hoss of a buck. I think you made the right choice...but I can understand how you could 2nd guess yourself having the privilege to hunt such awesome country.

Congrats!
Tough, tough winter up your way last winter, just felt sick hearing the reports.
All the best to you and your family!

I think that when you start second guessing yourself, you will remember that double throat patch and your boys' excitement and realize you did the right thing....because you did the right thing! Congrats!!

You may have some around a little bigger, but darn few more mature than that one. He's as good as he's ever gonna get and look how happy you made your boys by including them even if in a small way. Very cool!!!!

Top Bottom