Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 Sask whitetail

Congrats on a great buck Kaare! Looks like the kids are pretty proud of you!

x2! I especially like the way you include your boys in your outdoor adventures, I am sure it will not be long before they are sitting behind a giant Canadian whitetail.

Cool story Kaare and a great buck!.. So how did the shot go down? were you kneeling when you shot? if you could elaborate on the last moments that would be cool. Great picts with the kids and something they will never forget! Congrats.:way:

He is a great buck and I would say your boys are well on their way to coaching you to perform at a higher level. Mine have.

mnshedhunter, I was indeed still kneeling when the shot went down. It took he buck roughly 25 minutes to make his way from where he first came out to where I shot him. The entire time he was periodically checking out my direction as he knew I was there. Also I had pulled a camera tripod off of my backpack when I first kneeled down. I then had set it up and was doing my best to get some video of him.

Because of where I was set up I didn't always have the clearest of lanes to get him in focus, so when he'd put his head down to graze I'd adjust the camera. This little cat and mouse game continued and I think it was the camera movement that drew him into range as it was impossible for me to get him zoomed in and in focus without him spotting movement some of the time.

I think he was trying to get downwind of me but the last time I moved the camera, when he was at 70-80 yards, he decided the had had enough and began to circle back in the direction he came. He wasn't in a hurry though and when he got turned broadside and stopped I simply raised my gun, rest it against a small polar tree that was in front of me
and belched out a cloud of smoke. He ran about 100 yards, I watched him fall.

Sweet. It sure is nice when things work out perfect like that night did for you. Makes up for the other 99% of the hunts that for whatever the reason don't usually go the hunters way:) I sometimes just have to laugh at all the small things that can go wrong during each and every sit. Even though we have prepared and done the same routine a thousand times there always seems to be something that we didn't account for. The alltime worst one for me is the morning sit where I forget my binoculars. Almost makes me want to climb out of the tree and go back in:(. thanks for the story. Great deer.

I am sure it will not be long before they are sitting behind a giant Canadian whitetail.
Daver, here we cannot hunt until 12 unfortunately. They are 8 and 9. They are both so excited about deer and deer hunting it makes me burst with pride and joy. I cannot wait for their time, spending time together, running cams, scouting food sources and choosing a deer or two to go after. It will truly be the greatest thing I'll have the opportunity to pass down to them. I'd make a wager today, that when their time comes, their first one beats the heck out of mine.

Well done Kaare. How are your seasons structured up there? Is your gun season going on now, or just early muzz
Our seasons are structured like this. Sept. 1-30 archery only
Oct. 1-31 Muzzleloader or archery
Nov. 1- Dec. 7 -rifle, muzz or bow
However, that is deer and there are other seasons coinciding like rifle moose Oct.15-31, so basically despite it being muzz season for whitetails, there are guys rifle hunting moose in the area.

As always, you get it done! Great work and I do love him! :grin:

Congrats!

Top Bottom