Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 Rut Predictions poll

in2harrisonCO

Every year is a little different, every year is a little similar to the season prior. I have been hearing that the rut of 2013 was sort of a trickle rut??? With that being said like always I seen my best action from Halloween until November 9th. And for 2014 I'm going to go out on the limb and predict those date to be the most exciting of this year as well. What do you guys think?

Those have been my go to dates in the past as well. However, in 2013 action was slow for me until November 8th with the 8th through the 15th being hot for me. In short, I need to hunt from Halloween through the end of November.

Mn vs. Iowa

I'd bag the 1st 6-7 days in Nov if I had a tight schedule. Nov 7-22

Skip had posted this before and I still stuck to my traditional Nov 1-10 (which is what we see in MN).

He was correct of course, although Nov 1 was great in Iowa, the rut was much better when I came back the 10-13 (tagged out).

I wonder if bucks become conditioned to the pressure (example-In MN the gun season starts early *Nov 5-9 in most years*

We see much more rutting activity early in November in my area of MN, just an observation.

I'll go with it being somewhere between Oct. 15 and Jan. 10.

But seriously, I've used the "must be there" dates of Nov. 4-7 and usually at least see a good one each day. For those dates this year, I only got out on Nov. 5, and activity was slow. Think I saw a 2.5 or 3.5 yr old or two, maybe. Nov. 1 was definitely the best day for me (saw my #1 buck), but according to my camera, Nov. 8 would have been good too if I had been there and in the right spot! Other than those dates, I usually try Halloween and then a couple other weekdays in November. I also have seen a good buck the day after the full moon in late October a few times. My best encounters have been Halloween, Nov. 1, 5, 6, 7, 10, but I'm more likely to be in a stand at those times too.

Ha tagged out last 2 years the last week of October I start the weekend before Halloween and hunt until I tag out which hasn't been long lately

I just try to hunt the entire season. You don't miss much when you hunt 60 of the 67 days in the season...but seems like the most action I had wad the 20-27 of November

Its tough to say but if I was on a tight schedule I'd try to be in a tree the 8th-12th. If you have a local big boy you want to get a crack at I'd hunt go after him in late Oct./early Nov.

I'd go as much as possible from last weekend in Oct. to Nov 15. Hard to pick the best days as activity will be spread out thru the season and will vary from farm to farm. Activity may be really hot on one farm and absolutely nothing on the neighboring farm the same day. Deer can't be everywhere at the same time.

Also, don't second guess your vacation days too much. Did it twice this past fall due to being "too" windy when I woke up, so decided to go to work. First day I'm ok with, as the day before I didn't see much and nothing big showed on any cameras that day. But the second day (same wind and speed as the first day I decided to work instead), I got pics of the buck I was after. Can see the tree I built a cedar blind under in the background (would have been about a 25 yd broadside shot!...assuming everything happened the same if I was there and didn't spook any of the deer). Also have a stand about 50 yds from that spot, so likely I would have at least been in the area! Oh well.

I do think it varies from one area to another. For years, I have seen activity ramp up the first week of Nov, with the older bucks finally showing around the 10 or 12th/ This year it was all in the first week of Nov, with everthing really moving around the 6th. Was early,,don't know why? After the 6th, activity slowed considerably.

Top Bottom