Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2016/2017 AZ Hunting Journal

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
I debated back and forth whether or not to keep a journal this year. Life has gotten so hectic that I wasn't sure I'd have the time to do a journal justice. But Syd insisted and promised to help me out more. We're more than likely going to let her have her own account on IW so she can post her own updates. That got her excited. She's at her summer camp again this week and next and then we (she) has a summer full of soccer camps, including already participating in the Olympic Development Program Sub-regional Camp here in Flagstaff June 3-5. We're waiting to see if she gets invited to the ODP Regional Camp in Oregon July 1-5. Jacob is also at summer camp this week, so my wife and I have our first kid-free week ever. Its both strange and exciting. We're taking some time off from work to enjoy it and reconnect without interruptions.

Part of the hesitation with whether or not to keep a journal was trying to decide if I wanted to get trail cams out for her elk hunt. She has a mid-October cow hunt in the same unit she had two years ago. This will be the 4th of 5 consecutive hunts and it will be tough to say the least. By her hunt, elk will be scattered and harder to find. Seeing elk on camera now through when the first hunt starts (late Sept) won't necessarily equate to where they will be when her hunt comes around. At the same time, it doesn't quite feel right to have a hunt and not have cameras out. We're hoping for some early snow to push them down lower, but Syd has already committed to spending all day, taking lunch/snacks with us, and covering ground and watching meadows/avalanche chutes. If she can keep that up, we have a chance of crossing paths with a cow sooner or later. A buddy of mine at AGFD said if we concentrate on the same areas and are willing to go a little higher into those areas, we should find one. That has me feeling more confident about it all.

Last Friday, I had the day off, so I took the kids to the shooting range for some fun. Jacob has been asking to shoot more than just his .22 and Syd has continued to branch out, too. I had Jacob start learning to use a scope so that this coming December, when he gets his elk/deer rifle for either his birthday or Christmas, he'll have better experience. Syd has been loving shooting her mom's Ruger GP100, loaded with .38 spcl instead of .357 (for now). She's also decided she likes my 1911. Jacob tried the .38 and loved it, but not so much on the 1911 (for now, he said). He's also been begging me to try my new AR, so we had fun there. Syd decided to try this one and immediately decided she needs her own now. God help us!

Shooting Day

Last Saturday morning, we got up and hiked into one of the meadows that Syd and I found during her 2014 elk hunt, with the intention of placing at least one camera along a known game trail. We had a great hike up, explored the meadow more, finding good sign along the trails, and starting to form a game plan. When it came time to put the camera up, I realized that I left the keys to the associated locks back in my truck, 1.5 miles away! I won't use the language I used that moment, but you can imagine. We made the most of it, though, by covering some ground and seeing new areas that looked promising.

The journey in.

Aspen grove below the meadow (good bedding area).

Part of the well-used game trail

Mid-point of the meadow looking up.

Open drainage/draw (above previous aspen grove) and open hillside to the west. All good elk haunts!

My wife and I took the day off yesterday and, after a 7-mile hike in the morning (from 9,000' to almost 12,000' elevation), we hiked back up into the meadow and placed both cameras. One is mid-meadow near a choke point and along the trail and the other is down in the drainage (which actually has a currently dry tank), just above the aspen grove where elk have been moving back and forth. After about 10 miles total yesterday in some of the steepest stuff this state has to offer, my legs are shot today! With everything we have going on, we likely won't get back out there to check the cameras until the July 4th weekend, if we're not in Oregon.

Sorry for the long first post, but I hope you all enjoy following our hunting adventures out here. We're now in the hurry up and wait mode of waiting to see if (what) deer hunt Syd draws this year. The application deadline is today and we put her in for some good hunts (buck only, per her request) that should get her drawn. One is a youth muzzleloader tag that only has 20 tags, but has an 89% draw rate for 1st and 2nd choice applicants. It was her 2nd choice. I only bought a bonus point for deer because the hunts I want would overlap with one of her hunts if she's drawn for that (2nd choice). As much as I want that trophy unit, I want her to get a buck more. I plan on making a better effort in December to fill my archery tag, now that another favorite unit has been opened up in December. Fingers crossed for a good season for us down here and good luck to you all!

Trail Cam Pics

I’ve been so busy at work, that I’m finally getting a chance to update the journal with some pics. Over the July 4th weekend, we had a chance to run up to the cameras in between storms and swap the cards out. They sat up there for three weeks and we were anxious to see what, if anything, was moving through the areas. We got up there and, in those three weeks, the bracken ferns had grown like CRAZY! Some of the ferns along the game trail were over Jacob’s head and we had to keep close tabs on him as we hiked through them. Fortunately, the camera along the trail was relatively unobscured with ferns, but the other camera was facing into a sea of ferns. I joked that the cameras probably had over 1,000 pictures on them and 900 would be ferns. Bad, bad choice of jokes! The camera surrounded by ferns had 1064 pictures on it and, thanks to one fern that seemed to grow perfectly in front of the sensors, only about 25 pictures included elk and deer. At least we know they are moving through. I managed to raise the camera a foot on the tree, knock down that one fern plus a few more, and we’re hoping to get back up there next weekend after I get back from training in Lakewood, CO. The camera along the trail had about 650 pics, of which, about 15 were elk, deer, and a bear! That makes the 2nd bear we’ve had on a trail cam for Syd’s hunts up in this unit and our third bear total. This one is a nice cinnamon phase black bear. I'm hoping some of these mule deer does bring a nice buck with them for my otc archery tag in August/September. We plan to scout some other areas in other parts of the unit and may move a camera there, but for now, this is the area we are going to concentrate on for her hunt.

Central Iowa was able to help us get Syd set up with an account (Thanks, Travis!) and I have a feeling she’s going to want to get a post soon, likely this afternoon after she’s done with her soccer camp. AGFD has been hitting credit cards for the fall deer/javelin/bighorn/turkey hunts and I’m sure she’s going to be the one who wants to post up what we’ve found out so far! Stay tuned!

Canyon Pics (That one fern is in most of the pics)

Meadow Trail Pics

We're planning on doing some more reloading this weekend to get ready. There will be more later, but its going to be a great season chasing Syd again with her hunts and soccer. That reminds me, there is big news on the soccer front, but I'll let her spill those beans, too!

New journal, New account.

Hello, this is Sydney!

Dad suggested that if we were to start a new journal with me being more involved, that I should get my own account. At first, Iowa Whitetail was not allowing people to create their own account, so we had to e-mail Central Iowa Whitetail and ask them to create an account for me. (Thanks, Central Iowa!)

The past few weeks have been quite a rush, with a hard core soccer camp and being gone two weeks!! The soccer camp I went to is called the NAU Elite ID Soccer Camp. If you guys have any daughters that play soccer and are looking for a good college to go to, then this camp is perfect! they have different college coaches from around the U.S. that are recruiting many female soccer players!

When people ask me if I got a buck tag, my normal answer is usually: "Nah, I got the darn doe tag again!" Its not that I don't like the doe hunt, its just that I've done that hunt for two years, and I just want to get a buck tag.:confused: So it really surprised me when I get a call from dad: "Hey kiddo, you got a buck tag!" Its a youth tag, as seen with the price. :) :) :) :)
The youth units that I put in are the 19a, 19b, 20a, 17b four unit hunt, and the unit 15 youth muzzle loader hunt! Wish me luck!

Good luck Miss Sydney! I'm sure you will have a great time and with all of the hard work you will put in I'm confident your trip will be successful.

Syd, happy to help hope to see a bunch of entries from you and of course hope you have great success in all your passions!

Sydney. Congrats on the buck tag. Looking forward to more soccer and hunting updates. Best of luck on both.

Draw Results Posted

Thanks for the support for her, guys! She loves it. The draw results were posted on the AGFD portal website this morning, so I logged into her account to see what tags she drew. She wasn't disappointed, but I know she will want to post that up on her own. We are both excited, though!

If you have a moment, say a prayer for a quick recovery for her. She had a fairly significant periodontal procedure done this morning to fix a tooth that was troublesome with her braces. She's home resting as I type this, but also being feisty, according to her mom! I'm not sure where she gets that from, but it could be the Irish/Scot/Mexican combo in her DNA. :D She's on rest with no activity and soft foods for 5-7 days while her gum heals. There's an analogy about a caged lion that comes to mind. The more I think about it, and while you're at it, can you say a prayer for me and my wife?? ;) The doc did say ice cream was acceptable, so she's already trying to run with that! :cool:

We should be taking advantage of some down time this weekend to get back up to her trail cams to check/swap cards. I may end up pulling one camera and moving it to another area, back closer to where we hunted two years ago. The more I stand down here in town and stare up at the mountain, the more I think we should concentrate on the area we hunted previously, but move higher up in elevation. I keep saying to her that we need to just concentrate on one area the entire time and not bounce around. Elk will move through the area we choose if we're persistent. If we move to find them, we'll miss opportunities. I learned that lesson on my elk hunt last September, as well as three years ago.

I was just down in Arizona. I went west from happy Jack Campground and saw a ton of Elk along Highway 3. It was awesome.

Praying for Sydney - and her parents.

We hunters sure love to 2nd guess ourselves. Which area to hunt, which stand to hunt, should I stay, should I move, should I call? That is part of the fun - and the learning process.

Ouch! Hate dental stuff! Good luck to her. As an otherwise healthy young lady, she'll heal fast and be ready to be up & attem soon! Best wishes!

My Deer Hunt

I know earlier in a post Dad had mentioned that we got the draw results for my deer tag. As I mentioned before, it was either the four unit 17a 19a 17b and 20a deer and javelina combo youth hunt, or the unit 15 muzzle loader youth hunt. my first choice, was the four unit hunt, with a 33% draw rate, and 200 tags. The muzzle loader hunt has a 89% draw rate, with 20 tags. Here it comes...............the hunt that I got was....................My first choice, the 19a 17a 17b and 20a youth combo hunt!:D:D:D I couldn't be more happy!

Thanks for all the support with my periodontist surgery! It sucked royally, but all the support makes it worthwhile! Wish me luck on my hunt!

Top Bottom