Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2017 season for "MATURE BUCKS" - up, down, same?

I run cameras over 4-5 different herds of deer and I'd say antlers size is down than in previous years and down without a doubt in drought areas. In said drought areas my only focus is shooting a couple that don't have the genetics to be Big big as to let larger antlered ones bounce back.

I've talked with Sligh a bit about this already but generally speaking I believe the quality is down for sure. Look at some of the online deer personalities in Iowa this year if you follow one in particular he shoots three deer in a matter of two years over 190 to 200. Last two years not a single GIANT even on his farm IMO. I know of some guys that track deer with cams on there farms from year-to-year in IA & MO and increases in inches with another year of age were minimal. This was not in the drought area. In regards to the BIG deer showing in the harvest forum, I'd have to respectfully disagree with some above, while there have been several nice deer killed, very few 180+ which was more common prior to 2012 EHD.

Have you all tried adding a whitetail milk calcium supplement to your feed? It's supposed to work wonders on deers' antlers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom